Back again and going Keto

Hi everyone,

I've just started my weight loss/ healthy lifestyle journey again after loosing motivation the last time. I've recently discovered low carb Keto and in day 3 of this style of eating. I'm looking for friends for mutual support. Anyone doing Keto/low carb too is a bonus

Replies

• DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Hi! I started Keto on 2/8... trying to lose about 30 pounds. Good luck!
  • elistarlocs
    elistarlocs Posts: 10 Member
    Hi Danana! That's awesome, I'm trying to lose about the same. We can do it! x
  • chcwgrl
    chcwgrl Posts: 8 Member
    Hi there, can I follow/ join in? I'm trying to do the same thing, but I'm not sure how to start this whole low carb thing. Any advice?
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Hi!

I plan on starting low carb next week after a doctor's appointment to make a plan for prediabetes. (I'm logging my current habits this week to show the doctor.) Feel free to add me!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Hello everyone and welcome! I suggest you check out the main low-carber forum group here in MFP. It's where most of us Ketofiles tend to hang out so stop be and say hello:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • GuardianKile
    GuardianKile Posts: 2 Member
    I am back and doing keto again too. Goodluck!!!
  • elistarlocs
    Hi GuardianKile, thank so much! Good luck to you too. I'm trying to add you as a friend but no idea how too
  • elistarlocs
    edited February 2016

Hi Iadipoet! Thanks for the link. I'll be joining
  • elistarlocs
    Justifier wrote: »
    Hi!

I plan on starting low carb next week after a doctor's appointment to make a plan for prediabetes. (I'm logging my current habits this week to show the doctor.) Feel free to add me!

Hi Justifier, that's great to hear your starting a low carb plan (is it Keto or just low carb), some one schooled me on the difference the other day. Trying to add you but I have no idea how, so if you do please add me. x
  • elistarlocs
    chcwgrl wrote: »
    Hi there, can I follow/ join in? I'm trying to do the same thing, but I'm not sure how to start this whole low carb thing. Any advice?

Hi chcwgrl, yes, please follow/join. I'm quite new to Keto so my main advice would be to join the Keto group on here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

I've also joined the Ketodiet support group in Facebook which is great for advice/support.

I started on Monday by setting my macro % to 75% fat, 15% protein and 5% carbs. I looked up a list of Keto friendly foods on google and just took it from there. Feeling good so far and will be weighing in next Monday. One thing I discovered during my research is that on Keto low carb does not mean high protein and fat, but high fat only. So I'm really focusing on getting enough fat in the form of coconut oil, olive oil, kipper fish and butter ect. Also don't worry to much about grams but focus on getting the % ratio right. Although you can calculate your protein grams by ( ideal body weight kg + 2.3g for every inch over 5f) for example I and 5.7inchs and my ideal body weight is 62 so my ideal protein in grams is (62+ (2.3x7) = 78.1g) that's to make sure I have enough protein to maintain muscle mass.

Also, important to note that it's really important to keep the carbs down (below 30g/ not more than 5% macros) as eating high fat with too high carbs is detrimental to health. To get into ketogenisis and fat burning you need high fat with absence of carbs. If not can cause arthorosclerisis and weight gain due to glucose being main energy source and lack of ketogenisis.

Good luck and please add me as a friend!