completely frustrated - different results, same effort

Options
Please help. I'm 37, 5'6. On Jan 2, I weighed 150. I started a concerted and focused weight loss effort on Jan. 26. I've been eating 1000-1400 calories a day for the first 3 weeks, then dropped that to 1000-1300.

For the first 3-4 weeks, I focused on walking 4500 steps a day and also did 2-3 12-18 minute workouts a week. This past week I upped my exercise to 5-6 workouts a week of 30-45 minutes. (3 days of interval run, walk and sprint, 3 days of body weight exercises with cardio).

I cook all my meals - I measure all my ingredients.I know my cal counts are right. I have only lost 2 pounds. I get down to 146, and then gain back to 148, and then go down to 146 or 7, again and again.

Last year in January 2015, I started at the same place, and did all the same things, with all the same recipes. I worked out a little more, but not much, and measured my ingredients in exactly the same way. I lost 9 pounds in my first 4 weeks last year, and then continued to lose 1-2 pounds a week after that.

Please help me figure out what is going on. I feel so demoralized.

What is frustrating is the TOTAL lack of loss, and that last year I did EXACTLY the same things, with incredible results.

Please don't tell me to buy a scale and weigh, that measuring isn't enough. It worked very well for me last year, so that's not the issue - don't make it the issue.

As far as I can tell, I'm eating appovimately the same ratios of protein, fat, carbs too.

thank you for your help. i don't know what else to do. At my current weight, I can't wear any of my clothes that aren't sweats, and it feels pretty terrible.

Replies

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Well... if you are that unwilling to address the one thing that you are not doing right I guess you will never know if it could solve your problem. The less you have to lose the smaller the room you have for error. Sounds to me like you can no longer get away with the slop in your measuring system if you want to make further progress.

We can't make something an issue. It either is the issue or it is not. and sorry to say but it is the most obvious flaw in your current program.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Ellaskat wrote: »
    Please don't tell me to buy a scale and weigh, that measuring isn't enough. It worked very well for me last year, so that's not the issue - don't make it the issue.

..... so what do you want to hear? You know the issue but don't want to hear it.

We can't help you if you don't want to listen.

Last year is last year. This year is this year.
  • McDermott90
    McDermott90 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I too am completely frustrated. I am now on Day 89 of this program and have simply maintained my current weight. I am always under my 1200 calories and have been working out 3 times/week. I had gone down 3 pounds a few weeks ago but only because I had the flu and was not eating - period. Of course, once I went back those 3 pounds came right back. I'm 57 and people tell me my metabolism is now slow to stop. I don't have much to lose - 10 lbs to make my clothes fit. However, I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    No - you are wrong - a scale is not the issue. If it was the issue, I would not have lost weight last year. Using a scale is a thoughtless pat answer on these boards - which is why I say that.

I lost all my weight last year without a scale, by measuring. I am doing exactly the same thing now. That is the issue I want help with - not some mindless MFP mantra of 'buy a scale'.

I am also not trying to lose additional weight. I am trying to lose the same weight (sadly) a second time.

Same starting weight
    Same recipes
    Same measuring system
    Same exercise amounts

Very different results - the same methods with different/no results is what i'm looking for insight on. Why is this happening.

I asked nicely for help - so please don't throw your nasty 'you're sloppy, don't want to hear it, etc comments at me - not the case.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    No - you are wrong - a scale is not the issue. If it was the issue, I would not have lost weight last year. Using a scale is a thoughtless pat answer on these boards - which is why I say that.

I lost all my weight last year without a scale, by measuring. I am doing exactly the same thing now. That is the issue I want help with - not some mindless MFP mantra of 'buy a scale'.

It's not "mindless mantra". It's math and science.

What was working last year isn't working this year... so there's something wrong. There's something wrong in the math. With 1000-1300 calorie intake at your height and weight, you'd be losing more than what you are. And since you're not then that means your accuracy (read: math) is something left to be desired.

But since you don't want to hear "mindless mantra" you'll just have to continue as you are.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,157 Member
    Options
    Perhaps the issue is you have less water weight to lose this time, thus not have the quick lose to start with. Also, you are a year older. I am one who would suggest a scale as well, but since you don't want that suggestion, this is all I have to give you.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

I am also not trying to lose additional weight. I am trying to lose the same weight (sadly) a second time.

Same starting weight
    Same recipes
    Same measuring system
    Same exercise amounts

Very different results - the same methods with different/no results is what i'm looking for insight on. Why is this happening.

I asked nicely for help - so please don't throw your nasty 'you're sloppy, don't want to hear it, etc comments at me - not the case.

When you have less to lose your deficit is smaller, so it is even more important to weigh when you deficit is small as even going over a bit on each thing can eliminate your deficit by the end of the day.

If you are unwilling to weigh foods there is nothing any of us can do to help you. The only other suggestion would be to have you thyroid checked.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

Same starting weight
    Same recipes
    Same measuring system
    Same exercise amounts

Then close your browser and go see a doctor ASAP about the issue because nobody here can help if that's the case.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Put the answer you want to hear here: _______________________________________________

When that answer doesn't help and you want to do something that will help, you can buy a food scale and use it.
  • erickirb
    Options

Same starting weight
    Same recipes
    Same measuring system
    Same exercise amounts

Mindless mantra??? a scale is the only way you can be assured of how much you are eating. stop making excuses, and buy a scale.
  • ginleepa
    ginleepa Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Water is what usually what breaks this for me. Drink 64 ounces/ day and an extra 8 ounces for each 30 minutes of extra activity. Never eat less than 1000 calories, in fact, if you burn 100 extra calories, add 50 to your intake.
    Most of all, do not weigh more than weekly and be patient with yourself.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    The truth is, if I'm not losing, I "tighten up" on what I log - which means accurately weighing, fewer restaurant meals (where I can't weigh my food), etc. That's what works for me.
  • Ellaskat
    Options
    can anyone offer comments on why I would have different results doing exactly the same things, with the same starting weight, only 1 year apart. Thank you for the water idea. That is something I can think is probably different. Last year I worked in an environment where I drank hot herbal tea all day long. This time around, I'm working from a location where I realize my water intake is probably much less. That's a great helpful, not attacking idea. thank you. I welcome any ideas that are respectfully given.

These boards should be a place we help each other. Otherwise, what's the point? Attacking and insulting strangers is a pretty sad commentary on who you are. Get your aggression out at the gym.
  • Silpeanut
    Silpeanut Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Sometimes what worked the first time won't work the second time. I lost my first 25 lbs doing weight watchers but that doesn't work for me anymore. You might want to try looking into a low carb nutritional plan, i have had results using LCHF and so have many of my friends. I think it works better for people who have a lot of weight to lose but it works well for people like me with 20lbs or less to lose. I have also heard that intermittent fasting (IF) works but I never tried it myself. I recently walked away from my scale because despite all my efforts I was not seeing any loss in the numbers, I HAVE noticed that my belly is smaller and that I am stronger , feel better and healthier and have more endurance than I did before and that means a lot more to me than some stupid number on a scale. Look into other nutritional plans, that might help. If possible try talking to a nutritionist or dietician, they will be able to help you much better than anyone on a forum who knows nothing about you or your journey. Good luck!!
  • Ellaskat
    Options
    One other difference I just realized - I'm been exercising betw. 1-3 pm, instead of around 7 am. Could that make a difference? That you silpeanut for the ideas. It's nice to at least hear that someone else has replicated effort with a different result. I weigh but I also take body measurements, because sometimes I will lose inches instead of pounds; I have changed size slightly, but nothing to be impressed/excited by. i believe my biggest loss is my hips - 1 inch. in 5 weeks...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    One other difference I just realized - I'm been exercising betw. 1-3 pm, instead of around 7 am. Could that make a difference? That you silpeanut for the ideas. It's nice to at least hear that someone else has replicated effort with a different result. I weigh but I also take body measurements, because sometimes I will lose inches instead of pounds; I have changed size slightly, but nothing to be impressed/excited by. i believe my biggest loss is my hips - 1 inch. in 5 weeks...

No. It won't.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    can anyone offer comments on why I would have different results doing exactly the same things, with the same starting weight, only 1 year apart. Thank you for the water idea. That is something I can think is probably different. Last year I worked in an environment where I drank hot herbal tea all day long. This time around, I'm working from a location where I realize my water intake is probably much less. That's a great helpful, not attacking idea. thank you. I welcome any ideas that are respectfully given.

These boards should be a place we help each other. Otherwise, what's the point? Attacking and insulting strangers is a pretty sad commentary on who you are. Get your aggression out at the gym.

Pretty sure that no one "attacked" you and your comments have been more aggressive than anyone else's. Tight logging and a food scale are the only things that will work if you're not losing weight. How can you be sure you're "doing the exact same thing" as last year if you didn't weigh your food then and you're not doing it now? The answer is- you can't!
  • erickirb
    edited February 2016
    Options

I already did. When you had more to lose you could eat more and still lose. now that you have less to lose your deficit will be smaller meaning any under estimate of cals in could wipe out your deficit for the day

FYI, we have all been trying to help you. The problem is you are unwilling to listen and are fighting the suggestions. You are the one that seems aggressive, maybe you are reading too much into the comments being made
  • Ellaskat
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »

Pretty sure that no one "attacked" you and your comments have been more aggressive than anyone else's. Tight logging and a food scale are the only things that will work if you're not losing weight. How can you be sure you're "doing the exact same thing" as last year if you didn't weigh your food then and you're not doing it now? The answer is- you can't!

Nope - if you used measuring cups/spoons, and do the same thing later, you can be certain you were doing the same thing - because you are.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    If you are not losing weight and you want to I would either eat less or move more.