Healthy mayonnaise (that actually tastes great)

Options
kittenonmars
kittenonmars Posts: 20 Member
So I recently made a dish that's healthy with the exception of yummy... delicious... mayonnaise.
So it got me thinking, is there really no way to make it healthier?

I found a solution and it's really rather simple! :)
Just use ripe avocado! And a blender. I used an immersion blender.

So what I did is I took one big spoon of my favorite mayo, and then chopped up 3 avocados and threw them in. Blended it all together for a while until it was really fluffy. I was extremely impressed how it almost doesn't taste any different from normal mayo. I added a bit of mustard, lemon juice and salt to taste, and there you go! Yummy, but green, mayo!
By comparison, in 100gr of mayo, there are 680 cals. In 100gr of avocado there is about 160 cals. That is a HUGE difference. And it tastes the same to me. So yay!

The only downside is that it doesn't last as long. For me, it took me 3 day to finish the meal(it was a type of salad that I kept in the fridge), and by day two, the mayo had browned a bit, but still tasted good. The oil and lemon juice will help it keep fresh.

But yea, I'm curious, has anyone else done this? And if so, how did you make it and for what? :)

Replies

• kittenonmars
    edited February 2016
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    So pure of avocados is now a mayo? Come on.
    I took a brick of tofu, threw it on the grill and it became a healthier version of beef tenderloin ;)

I did say I put in normal mayo, and that it tastes the same, did I not? Does it have to be full of oil to be mayo? Technically it still is because it contains eggs, it contains oil, but its just injected with a bunch of avocado :)

Also, even if one tablespoon isnt enough, you can do half-and-half and it would still be superior in terms of health.

Are you going to go tell people that their cauliflower pizzas arent real pizzas too?
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I've done something similar with ranch dressing. I mash like half an avocado into 2 oz ranch, and it is super yummy!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Yours is a good idea. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. The only change I would make would be to halve your quantities so as not to have too much in the fridge. Avocado is full of natural oil in the same group as Olive oil. Together they combine to hold more nutrients.
  • kittenonmars
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Yours is a good idea. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. The only change I would make would be to halve your quantities so as not to have too much in the fridge. Avocado is full of natural oil in the same group as Olive oil. Together they combine to hold more nutrients.

I agree :) I had made a bit too much of the salad(which is why it took me 3 days to finish that meal :p).
    I would also halve them, because its easy enough to make, but tastes best fresh.

As for olive oil, are you suggesting to add olive oil? because that will probably work too.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I tried this Greek Mayo and it was really good. Does not taste exactly like mayo but it is a delicious spread, dressing or dip. Would make a great base for other recipes. doctoroz.com/recipe/greek-yogurt-mayo
  • kittenonmars
    Options
    dklibert wrote: »
    I tried this Greek Mayo and it was really good. Does not taste exactly like mayo but it is a delicious spread, dressing or dip. Would make a great base for other recipes. doctoroz.com/recipe/greek-yogurt-mayo

Sounds yummy regardless :) I love yoghurt-based sauces/dressings
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    So I recently made a dish that's healthy with the exception of yummy... delicious... mayonnaise.

So what I did is I took one big spoon of my favorite mayo, and then chopped up 3 avocados and threw them in. Blended it all together for a while until it was really fluffy. I was extremely impressed how it almost doesn't taste any different from normal mayo. I added a bit of mustard, lemon juice and salt to taste, and there you go! Yummy, but green, mayo!
    By comparison, in 100gr of mayo, there are 680 cals. In 100gr of avocado there is about 160 cals. That is a HUGE difference. And it tastes the same to me. So yay!

The only downside is that it doesn't last as long. For me, it took me 3 day to finish the meal(it was a type of salad that I kept in the fridge), and by day two, the mayo had browned a bit, but still tasted good. The oil and lemon juice will help it keep fresh.

But yea, I'm curious, has anyone else done this? And if so, how did you make it and for what? :)

Every day! I thought I was alone in this, 1 avocado and 1 tin of tuna. I don't use a processor, for breakfast at work I just unload them into a bowl and mash into a pate. Delicious on rice cakes and a great mix of protein, carbs and fats.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I took a brick of tofu, threw it on the grill and it became a healthier version of beef tenderloin ;)

I did say I put in normal mayo, and that it tastes the same, did I not? Does it have to be full of oil to be mayo? Technically it still is because it contains eggs, it contains oil, but its just injected with a bunch of avocado :)

Also, even if one tablespoon isnt enough, you can do half-and-half and it would still be superior in terms of health.

Are you going to go tell people that their cauliflower pizzas arent real pizzas too?

Yes. Because they're not pizza. The toppings can be anything, but the base is bread. If the base is not bread it is not pizza, by definition.

• SassyNKC
    SassyNKC Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Sounds good. You just need to add some lemon or lime juice to the mix and it will keep your mayo from turning brown.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Yes absolutely. Same way I tell people trying to pass off frozen puréed bananas that those are not ice cream.

Now I don't like mayo so your puréed avocado idea isn't a bad one if I'm looking for a sandwich spread but it's not automatically better than mayo. It's probably got more calories than 2tbsp of light mayo or whatever people put on their BLTs.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    The difference between avocado and real Mayo is only about 5 calories per gram. Both are high in fat. Neither fat is necessarily better or worse than the other nutritionally.

Avocado is a delicious addition to a meal and has a similar mouth feel to mayo. Avocado has a very mild flavor. So do many mayos. The health benefit of one over the other is negligible.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The difference between avocado and real Mayo is only about 5 calories per gram. Both are high in fat. Neither fat is necessarily better or worse than the other nutritionally.

Avocado is a delicious addition to a meal and has a similar mouth feel to mayo. Avocado has a very mild flavor. So do many mayos. The health benefit of one over the other is negligible.

Not sure where you are getting your nutritional info from but I don't think you have that right. Per 100 grams, mayo has roughly 60g of fat more, as for calories per gram yes mayo has around 5 per gram but avocado is roughly 1.6 per gram
  • kittenonmars
    edited February 2016
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Yes absolutely. Same way I tell people trying to pass off frozen puréed bananas that those are not ice cream.

Now I don't like mayo so your puréed avocado idea isn't a bad one if I'm looking for a sandwich spread but it's not automatically better than mayo. It's probably got more calories than 2tbsp of light mayo or whatever people put on their BLTs.

Maybe, but I think we can all assume here that when we use words like "pizza", "mayo" or even "noodles" when they aren't made the traditional way, that we're talking about "food that tastes just like it or close and gives you a similar experience, which we might appreciate when we watch what we eat"... I just think it's a bit insulting to intelligence to wag a finger and nitpick it :p.

As for spreads, just omit the mayo and use avocado :) I've had normal avocado puree in sandwiches and its absolutely gorgeous. It was with mozzarella and tomatoes.
    If you google avocado and mayo, you will notice that mayo definitely has more calories. It could depends on the brand or whether its homemade and such. But on average its about 600 per 100 gr, while avocado only has 160 per 100 gr.
    Pure oil tends to have about 800-1000 cals per 100 grams, which explains why mayo has so much.

Edit: Actually the most important thing I wanna say about the nitpick of "but thats not real pizza/mayo/noodle/cake/blah" is that ... why do it? And this is not directed at anyone in particular. Just people in general who do it. We already know. But we're simply enthusiastic about having found something similar that is actually healthy. Its just like telling someone who's drinking almond milk that its not real milk. All it can result in is either mild irritation on their part, or you pretty much putting a downer on something they enjoy. I know you probably dont mean to do that. I am just telling you guys this because its so extremely easy to want to be right on the internet or prove someone wrong... but when it comes to being enthusiastic about eating well, I ask you to please consider containing yourself and joining in on the fun instead :) Or let others have theirs.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I like avocado spread and will often use it on a sandwich but the mayo I just don't use any more unless its on a BLT. I switched to using mustard on sandwiches to add some flavor, you get used to it.
  • kittenonmars
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I like avocado spread and will often use it on a sandwich but the mayo I just don't use any more unless its on a BLT. I switched to using mustard on sandwiches to add some flavor, you get used to it.

I dont see anything particularly wrong with mayo, given that its not eaten too often.. :) But yes.. avocado is superior!
  • RedMiataAZ
    RedMiataAZ Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    One avacodao, serrano pepper and juice of one lime which @SpicyFoods posted a recipe which I made and it was awesome!
  • ladyu
    ladyu Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    miracle whip calorie wise.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Great idea! Kind of like the age-old trick of adding shredded zucchini and/or carrots to muffins or brownies to get kids to eat their veggies lol
  • kittenonmars
    Options
    Great idea! Kind of like the age-old trick of adding shredded zucchini and/or carrots to muffins or brownies to get kids to eat their veggies lol

indeed! xD
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    Options

Who says tofu is healthier than tenderloin??? :D