What's better old fashioned Oats or the packets of instant oatmeal?

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Good news, you don't need to eat oatmeal to lose weight. The various ways that oatmeal can be presented makes very little difference. The rougher ground like steel cut will not give you as sharp an insulin spike as the instant packets. Often there is salt and flavourings added to the instant packets that make them slightly more calorific. But again, nothing to do with losing weight.

I find it helpful to start my morning with a little protein. I happen to love oatmeal but my breakfast yesterday was Red River cereal with peanut butter, blueberries and Greek Yogurt. It was the portioning that allowed this meal to stay within my goals. This morning it was a slice of French Toast, blueberries, Greek Yogurt, and peanuts. Because I like all these things.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    The one you prefer. It literally does not matter in an overall well structured diet if you choose one or the other. Don't focus on one food item but getting lots of fruits and vegetables - meeting you're calorie and macro goals and eating variety.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    If you're not a huge oatmeal fan (but wanting to eat it?) you can also google baked oatmeal recipes which use the instant oatmeal, I think. I just made slow cooker oatmeal for the first time, which uses steel cut oats, and it was tasty too. The consistency of it after the first day is definitely not "oatmeal"-y though. I love oatmeal anyway you dish it up though, so I'm always eating the stuff.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I don't really like instant oats. I feel like they're dissolving in my mouth and I feel like they don't fill me up as much. But it's probably because I was raised eating old fashioned oats.

This is how I feel (except I actually prefer steel cut oats due to the texture). The macros and nutrition information are often better too (stuff like protein, fiber), although not always. I always add fruit of some sort, as I enjoy it best that way.

That said, no need to eat oatmeal (I mostly eat eggs and vegetables for breakfast), and whichever one fits in your overall diet and you enjoy will be best for you.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Agree that you don't need to eat something you don't like, but it's smart to be open to be to new (low calorie) things. I used to eat the oatmeal packets years ago- thought I had to have the extra sugar & flavorings. Now I make my own for a couple of reasons. You totally control what goes in it and the big thing for me is those packets seem to cook up to practically nothing, but a 40 g serving of instant oats (and you might want to weigh it because I have found 1/2 cup does not equal 40 g), fills my bowl, especially with a handful of blueberries or other fruit. I would never want to eat it plain, but usually add a tsp of brown sugar, vanilla, cocoa powder, orange marmalade or other fruit spreads, or flavored extracts.
  • BrandyGanus
    BrandyGanus Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I prefer steel cut oats. foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/steel-cut-oatmeal-recipe.html I base my recipe off of Alton Brown's, but I use a full teaspoon of salt and 1 cup 2% milk. I think it tastes amazing when you first make it and I can eat it plain. But after it sits in the fridge, I mix 1 tsp brown sugar and 1/2 cup fruit into it.

Like everyone keeps saying, you don't have to eat oatmeal if you don't like it or don't want to. I'm using it because it adds a lot of fiber and it's low calorie (even with the milk, brown sugar and fruit). I used to eat yogurt and a banana for breakfast and sometimes I eat eggs with sauteed veggies (usually zucchini and onion or onion, potato and apple), bacon and fruit (pineapple!).
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I prefer the texture of old fashioned or steel cut, so that's what I make at home. (note: the kind that takes 20min? can be cooked in a rice cooker!) But I've kept packets of instant at work for when I oversleep. I always need two packets made with not quite two's worth of water, or I don't find it filling. I'll have one packet of plain and one flavored, mixed together. That way there's less sugar.
  • sunflowermoon31
    sunflowermoon31 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The packaged ones are higher calorie, less food, and have a lot of sugar. You can flavor your own oats with vanilla, honey, stevia, fruit, and/or or powdered peanut butter for a lower cal, more nutritious breakfast.
  • Dot35
    Dot35 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I cook up a pot of steel cut once a week using the quick method..bring six cups of water to boil then add in two cups oatmeal then cook for one to two minutes turn burner off let cool and cover and place the whole pot in refrigerator overnight! Next morning I divide into one cup servings and refrigerate for the week. I microwave for two min...makes nice thick oatmeal and I have been putting Greek yogurt on it instead of my usual almond milk and I put some kind of fruit in it if I have some on hand and the best is if I have done up some baked apples I half one and chop it up into my serving...gives me 17 protein to start my day and I sweeten with stevia if I need to. This is so good and you won't be hungry at all till on or later. I have been trying to add protein to each meL.
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I go with whatever fits my day. I eat breakfast when I get to work, so it's convenient to use instant oats that I just add boiling water to (I have all my stuff stashed in a desk drawer). I usually throw in a measured amount of raisins and cranberries, cinnamon and some chopped banana. I don't tend to eat it at home - weekend breakfasts involve eggs and bacon :)
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    You can lightly "toast" your old fashioned oats and make your own granola. Take a skillet, coat with coconut oil spray and add as much oats as you want to make. Stir frequently over medium heat 5-7 minutes. They can burn easily like nuts, so don't walk away from it (like I did once :s ) Let it cool on a cold cookie sheet then you can add fruit (fresh for serving at the time or dried fruit), nuts and seasonings (I like pumpkin pie spice). There are several recipes on the internet for granola to bake in oven with honey or maple syrup. Most commercial brands have preservatives, pricey and high in calories but tradeoff is the known nutritional value and not having to make it). I weigh all my added nuts and fruits. I like it with almond milk. Muesli is another option for rolled oats.
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats are the way to go. Don't wait and cook them in the morning, nobody I know has 30 extra minutes in the morning that they wouldn't prefer to spend asleep. Boil them for about 5-7 minutes the night before and then put them in the fridge over night.

I prep mine three days in advance, put them in glass pyrex microwave bowls and toss them in the microwave for a minute when I get to work. I add in 1/2 tsp of brown sugar, 1/2 tbsp of (actual) maple syrup, 1/4 cup of raisins, and some cinnamon.

Steel cut oats are going to have a different flavor than what you're used to with oatmeal, instant or old fashioned. I actually prefer it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I like my oats warm, so none of the refrigerator ideas are appealing to me.

I make steel cuts in my rice cooker -- no fuss, and they get ready while I shower and do other things. Easy.

They taste great with just a banana or some berries.
  • TinyTexn59
    TinyTexn59 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    The fastest way to cook steel cut oats is using an Instant Pot electric pressure cooker. I put one cup of steel cut oats in with three cups of water. Set it on manual for three minutes, put the lid on and let it cook. Natural release takes 8 minutes and breakfast is ready. I do one pot a week and divide it up. On alternate days I eat other things.
  • kes840
    kes840 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Steel cut, 30 minutes on 50% in the microwave. I make a cup of the dry oats and w/ an apple or some golden raisins, and that makes 4 servings, which I eat over the week w/ 1/2 c Greek yogurt and 1T of syrup.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I like my oats warm, so none of the refrigerator ideas are appealing to me.

I make steel cuts in my rice cooker -- no fuss, and they get ready while I shower and do other things. Easy.

They taste great with just a banana or some berries.

I pop my refrigerator oats in the microwave for 60 seconds to warm them in the morning. During the summer, I like them cold.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It's discerning eaters like we have here on MFP who are killing Kelloggs.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2015-02-26/for-kellogg-cereal-sales-recovery-may-be-lost-hope
  • ktilton70130
    ktilton70130 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    thank you guys for your feedback, I will try instant first, I am simply trying to add more healthy choices to my diet. I am trying to make it a lifestyle rather than a quick fix to get the weight off. The more healthier food choices the better.
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I find steel cut and rolled oats(they're thicker) more filling than the instant. Also you can control the sugar and sodium. As other's have mentioned you can make overnight oats with steel cut and rolled oats the night before if you're under time constraints in the morning. Go to pinterest and you will find so many great options also, I like this brand from Trader joe's called ancient grain and super seed oatmeal because it has great texture and only takes about 10 minutes on the stove. It turns out well as overnight oats too.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    What's better old fashioned Oats or the packets of instant oatmeal?

For calories and nutrients they are almost exactly the same. The difference is in the texture - old fashioned uses whole oats where instant is cut oats. That's it.

Personally I do old fashioned because it has a bit more 'crunch' to it unlike instant which is more porridge like in consistency. I do them almost every day, cooked in the microwave with a little brown sugar and a pad of butter.

Sooooo good. :)