completely frustrated - different results, same effort

Options

Replies

• maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I will offer another explanation:

It probably isn't the scale, it's that last year you lost weight at too aggressive a rate and metabolized a lot of muscle along with the fat you burnt off.

So, this year, although your weight is the same your BF% is higher and, since fat is practically metabolically inactive, your BMR is lower. This means that although last year your 1000-1300* was enough to yield a loss, this year it is only enough to maintain.

* given that your 1000 - 1300 could actually be anywhere from 800 - 1600 because you are not weighting your food and your calorific burns form exercise could be massively out because even people with HRMs and fancy activity trackers seem to have problems with calculating their "calories out".

Body composition differences is also a factor I was going to post ~

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and I'm curious about some entries.
    You log some foods by weight but say here that you don't weigh food- only use measuring cups or spoons- and didn't weigh food at all last year. How do you know you are always consuming 2 oz of ham, 4 oz spaghetti, 1 oz cashews, 1 oz blue corn chips, 8 oz of chicken or 1 lb of crab legs? You are guessing and your log is inaccurate. You don't know that you ate the same amount of those foods last year if you didn't weigh them then either. You may have eaten less last year because you guessed differently.
    It doesn't really matter what happened last year. Right now you need to do something different if you want to lose weight. Try weighing your food and logging more accurately.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I missed that little detail...

This is fact: if your weight neither moves up nor down for a period of months you can rest assured you are at maintenance.

Food intake is easier to measure objectively than energy output. I do think your cups and spoons may have gotten 'fluffy' with time & familiarity. Knock them back.

Constantly changing routines is good for full body fitness but the idea that familiar exercise is suddenly worthless is one of those myths like starvation mode. There's a kernel of truth within, but not the way most think. Your body gets more efficient with strength, mastery and 'muscle memory' so your burns may diminish to a degree but not dramatically. And the people saying you're a year older are mostly barking up the wrong tree too. BMR does diminish with age, but very gradually over many years. At 37 you are rather young to be in active menopause. Menopause can cause a little general mayhem but even those hormonal downshifts can't out pace the basic law of thermodynamics.

Here's where character & flexibility of mind can really come into play... Maintenance is a b;!ch and there are whole threads on here devoted to getting it right. Lighten up and laugh with yourself a little: you're the unintentional savant of maintenance! Thank your body, try something new, and move on. You will get there. Kiss the past goodbye. This time is going to be SO MUCH BETTER!

xoL
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Two options:

1) Stay frustrated
    or
    2) Take the advice you've been given
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I would also try to increase your daily step target. In one part of the post, you state that everything is the same, but in your original post, you mention that you are not exercising as much. Try to add a 1000+ steps to your daily target, in addition to the longer workouts. When that becomes easy for you, add another 1000 steps. And make sure you are tracking as accurately as possible, however you do it. If you have misinformation in your log, then any analysis is doomed to be flawed as well. Good luck.
  • heyyoudontgiveup
    heyyoudontgiveup Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    In response to my earlier post: If you did not find a sustainable diet last time, and ate your way back to being overweight again, trying going back to your old attempt is not sustainable.

You need to find a way to rework how you feel about food or you will just continue to log/lose weight, stop logging/gain weight.
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Two options:

1) Stay frustrated
    or
    2) Take the advice you've been given

I used to HATE HATE HATE the responses I used to get on this site!!!

Seriously! OMG I would get INFURIATED.

This is what changed.. I did.. I stopped taking it personally and read what they were saying. These people know what they are talking about. They lived it! they did the hard work.. they are doing the hard work. They KNOW what works.

Everyone is saying the same thing for very valid reasons..

You can stay like I was and continue to be frustration with no results and with their answers, or ( and this is gold) listen and drop the weight and be overall happier and realize these people are honestly trying to help. They are.

• Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    So are you saying that you have "only" lost 2-4 pounds in the 4 weeks since January 26th? That's pretty good, and sounds about right, considering your activity level. That's .5-1 pound per week, give or take some water weight.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    • More lifting
    • More water
    • Adjust ratios
    • Buy a scale
    • Good luck

zpwxha28e9sc.png

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,401 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    Ellaskat wrote: »
    can anyone offer comments on why I would have different results doing exactly the same things, with the same starting weight, only 1 year apart. Thank you for the water idea. That is something I can think is probably different. Last year I worked in an environment where I drank hot herbal tea all day long. This time around, I'm working from a location where I realize my water intake is probably much less. That's a great helpful, not attacking idea. thank you. I welcome any ideas that are respectfully given.

These boards should be a place we help each other. Otherwise, what's the point? Attacking and insulting strangers is a pretty sad commentary on who you are. Get your aggression out at the gym.

Pretty sure that no one "attacked" you and your comments have been more aggressive than anyone else's. Tight logging and a food scale are the only things that will work if you're not losing weight. How can you be sure you're "doing the exact same thing" as last year if you didn't weigh your food then and you're not doing it now? The answer is- you can't!

To give you an example: I was eating lunch in a company canteen while I was losing weight. When I started I took a normal portion of rice out of the canteen in a paper cup to weigh it and thought I was fine for the months to come. Guess what: when I did a check two months later I found the amount of rice I was eating by then had almost doubled. And I only took a serving spoon full.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    My favorite quote ever, see what Albert would tell you.

http://mobile.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/alberteins133991.html
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    maxit wrote: »
    I will offer another explanation:

It probably isn't the scale, it's that last year you lost weight at too aggressive a rate and metabolized a lot of muscle along with the fat you burnt off.

So, this year, although your weight is the same your BF% is higher and, since fat is practically metabolically inactive, your BMR is lower. This means that although last year your 1000-1300* was enough to yield a loss, this year it is only enough to maintain.

* given that your 1000 - 1300 could actually be anywhere from 800 - 1600 because you are not weighting your food and your calorific burns form exercise could be massively out because even people with HRMs and fancy activity trackers seem to have problems with calculating their "calories out".

Body composition differences is also a factor I was going to post ~

What @StealthHealth wrote seemed to be brushed by, but I think it's right on point. When you first got to your heaviest weight, it probably took longer than the amount of time you took to gain it to then lose it that first time. Meaning, for example, you may have worked up to 150 over a period of several years, but then lost that weight over a shorter period. When that happens (when one loses weight generally fairly quickly) without doing things specifically to maintain lean body mass, you very likely lost a mix of both muscle and fat.

Now, you put on that weight again over a quicker period of time (less than one year versus probably more than one year the first time); without doing something like purposely gaining muscle mass through progressively lifting heavier weights during that weight gain, that SAME AMOUNT OF WEIGHT probably has a higher percentage of fat versus the slower weight gain the first time around.

Meaning, now you're at the same WEIGHT, but probably have a higher percentage of body fat. It's going to be tougher to get off, and you're likely maintaining your weight with what you're doing this time, even if it's seemingly very similar to what you did the last time.

Example from me: I slowly gained an excess of 70 pounds over the period of about 8 years, between the ages of 40 and 48 (so average 9 pounds per year). While gaining, relatively slowly, my muscles had time to get a bit stronger/bigger simply because I had to haul more body weight around, and had years to do it.

I then lost 60 pounds over the course of 6 months, and an additional 10 pounds in an additional 6 months, so within one year, I lost 70 pounds. I did NOT incorporate a progressive weight lifting program (this is different than the occasional hauling logs around, etc.). So...of those 70 pounds, it was probably 25 pounds of muscle and 45 pounds of fat, I'm guessing, so about a 1:2 ratio or thereabouts.

So I'm at a decent weight. Now, if I laxed on my diet for a year, say, and gained 20 pounds within that year, without purposely maintaining my lean body mass through weight/resistance training, MOST of those 20 pounds gained would be fat. My body would not have the time it takes to build the muscle to compensate for that added weight. Now my ratio of gaining is maybe 18 pounds fat to 2 pounds muscle.

Ended up heavier, but with a higher percentage of fat in those excess pounds. Much harder to lose.

Suggestion: incorporate heavy lifting. Progressively heavier weight training in a proven program. Not the occasional logs or outdoor work. Lift lift lift to get that muscle back.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    You log some foods by weight but say here that you don't weigh food- only use measuring cups or spoons- and didn't weigh food at all last year. How do you know you are always consuming 2 oz of ham, 4 oz spaghetti, 1 oz cashews, 1 oz blue corn chips, 8 oz of chicken or 1 lb of crab legs? You are guessing and your log is inaccurate. You don't know that you ate the same amount of those foods last year if you didn't weigh them then either. You may have eaten less last year because you guessed differently.
    It doesn't really matter what happened last year. Right now you need to do something different if you want to lose weight. Try weighing your food and logging more accurately.

Actually, with all the items you mention, those are pre-weighed. If you buy one pound of crab legs at the store, you know it's one pound. If you always buy the same pack of deli ham, with a weight on it, you can divide the number of slices by the weight to know how much a certain number of slices weigh.

So how about you stop making assumptions?

If i have a weight of an item, of course I add that.

It's so easy to comment what you want without thinking through my real question, which is why is it different when I'm doing all the same things?

I've gotten some great feedback from folks more interested in helping me, than being snarky or nasty.

Different body composition
    Change in nutrients (ie I'm drinking less water)
    potential change in nutrient content - % of protein, as an example
    or that it could just be that it doesn't always work exactly the same each time - i lost weight and then gained it. my body may not be as happy to lose it the second time.

All useful answers that tell me i can make a few tweaks, be more patient and wait and see what happens.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    Thanks, I missed that little detail...

This is fact: if your weight neither moves up nor down for a period of months you can rest assured you are at maintenance.

Food intake is easier to measure objectively than energy output. I do think your cups and spoons may have gotten 'fluffy' with time & familiarity. Knock them back.

Constantly changing routines is good for full body fitness but the idea that familiar exercise is suddenly worthless is one of those myths like starvation mode. There's a kernel of truth within, but not the way most think. Your body gets more efficient with strength, mastery and 'muscle memory' so your burns may diminish to a degree but not dramatically. And the people saying you're a year older are mostly barking up the wrong tree too. BMR does diminish with age, but very gradually over many years. At 37 you are rather young to be in active menopause. Menopause can cause a little general mayhem but even those hormonal downshifts can't out pace the basic law of thermodynamics.

Here's where character & flexibility of mind can really come into play... Maintenance is a b;!ch and there are whole threads on here devoted to getting it right. Lighten up and laugh with yourself a little: you're the unintentional savant of maintenance! Thank your body, try something new, and move on. You will get there. Kiss the past goodbye. This time is going to be SO MUCH BETTER!

xoL

thank you for the encouragement. you get more flies with honey....
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »

This is the same thing I noticed, and they are often calorie dense foods. You have 2.5 small potatoes, also -- often people have wrong ideas of what a "small" is in those counts. So you could be a lot more accurate if you wanted to be, which would help and likely speed up the loss some or help you be more certain of your counts.

I'm not convinced there is a problem, though. You said you started at 150, go down to 146, fluctuate back up to 147-48. It's been a month. You don't have a lot to lose (you are around the top of the healthy BMI). Let's assume that like others your weight fluctuates. It may have been fluctuating 150-52 when you started. Now it's fluctuating 146-48. You may have some water weight gain due to increased exercise and you haven't been doing this long enough to know your monthly patterns. You still seem to be down around 4 lbs, which is 1 per week -- totally fine, even really good.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Okay, I get that using the same measuring technique should get the same results and that it isn't is frustrating.
    I still would like to know, what do you feel would be bad about using a scale? Is there something prohibiting you from getting and using one?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I've said this before and this isn't a dig at you OP but what is with the US obsession with measuring all of the things in cups!? I will always find it baffling. I don't know how one measures a cashew with a teaspoon/tablespoon. Did you eat like, 2 cashews? Because I'd get only the one in my teaspoon measure (which I use for oils usually), no more would fit.
    terar21 wrote: »
    Because I don't think this has been said...

It would be one thing if you preferred to estimate and eyeball. But if you are taking out the measuring cups and teaspoons/tablespoons, it takes no more effort to weigh things. It's actually easier and takes up less dishes. pouring milk into a measuring cup then pouring it into a bowl seems useless when I could just put a bowl on a scale and pour milk directly in.

Just saying.

Liquids have different densities, you should use cups for liquids to be accurate but the scale for solids. Agreed though that using cups for everything is quite the faff. When I can just throw my plate on the scale and zero it before dishing up each item. No extra washing up or stuffing broccoli into a cup somehow.

OP, I think you need to lose the whimsical view of how last year went for you. It's not working so you have to either accept you're way off in your logging, accept you're not going to lose or accept that you may, just may, have a much easier time by getting accurate and using a scale. I don't really understand the complete resistance.

Also, no-one has been mean or aggressive, you're projecting there because you came in here on the defensive and don't want to hear the stone cold truth.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Goat sacrifice?
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I've said this before and this isn't a dig at you OP but what is with the US obsession with measuring all of the things in cups!? I will always find it baffling. I don't know how one measures a cashew with a teaspoon/tablespoon. Did you eat like, 2 cashews? Because I'd get only the one in my teaspoon measure (which I use for oils usually), no more would fit.

Because that's how almost all our recipes are measured out. Very few will actually give ounces and grams of things, with the exception of some baking recipes. So that's pretty much what we default to when someone says "measure what you're eating". For stuff like nuts, we tend to count the number we eat, which is just as inaccurate as using cups and spoons as each nut can weigh slightly differently.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »

Because that's how almost all our recipes are measured out. Very few will actually give ounces and grams of things, with the exception of some baking recipes. So that's pretty much what we default to when someone says "measure what you're eating". For stuff like nuts, we tend to count the number we eat, which is just as inaccurate as using cups and spoons as each nut can weigh slightly differently.

One of the first things I had to do when I moved here was to buy a set of measuring cups. And then when I sent a recipe to my mum, she immediately emailed me back asking, "what the heck is a 'stick' of butter".

Cups are great for liquids, but you will have to prise my scales from my cold, dead hands.