13»

Replies

• FashionQueen86
    FashionQueen86 Posts: 51 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I feel terrible!!!!!

I ate a Dominos Brooklyn Pizza. 1700 calories, about 90 grams of fat, sodium shot through the roof of about 4800 grams. It's still early in the day and I can't eat anything else. I knew it in my head, that voice was warning me not to do eat it. I knew better. I KNEW better! I didn't listen to myself. I feel the urge of throwing it up back up, but I don't do stuff like that.

Anyone know how many days it might take to completely recover from this mistake?

Oh, gosh! Why did I do that!?

Very glad you decided not to purge...that's a bad road you don't want to go down.

Your body will recover just fine in a day. Just drink lots of water the rest of the day to help flush out the sodium. You might eat some fresh veggies just to help you feel full later if you get hungry.

Don't kick yourself - this stuff happens. Log it and move on.

Thank you! I just had some carrots actually. Wish I could have gone with that. But I'll be sure to drink lots of water.

Why don't you go to the gym? like that's the fix.... you ate the *kitten* now go do something about it and burn those calories off. If you don't go to the gym you can go and sign up tonight and then use the gym. if you can't afford it then go for a walk/job or run.

Not helpful ^^^^^^^

OP, we have all been there I promise you that. As the hours go by, that pizza will be further and further in the past. Do not let the rest of the day consume your mind with guilt over this. I hope you had a great time with your sister and you guys enjoyed eating together.

Instead of thinking it was all dreadful, make it a positive note that you did something good by spending time together. :):)

It sure was good! That's why I had a hard time putting it down. But now, my body is processing it now. So, there's nothing I can do. But thank you so much for your support. :D

You can go to the gym and work the calories off ... why am I the only person suggesting this?

Was the purpose of the post to get positive reinforcement/ justification for excessive calorie intake?

Okay, I see this has kind of annoyed some people. I did something at the spur of the moment without thinking. I panicked. I sought for support, advice, and to actually learn some things, becuase I knew the forum would give me quick feedback. For example, I didn't know drinking lots of water can help with sodium. I had planned on doing some workouts at home, and then using a machine at the gym that helps burn off a lot of calories.

I'm not annoyed by you, I'm direct.. maybe to direct.. it was a question.

It's like you're saying "I stole a car and I feel terrible about it, but I'm going to keep it... when the logically (to me) thing to do would be to give it back and then you'd feel better. By give it back I am referring to working out.

Not 1 machine, multiple machines! you want to go and lift weights you'll burn more calories lifting weights then you would doing cardio.

Alright. I'll take your advice and go do some weight training. I do those occasionally. Thanks.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I feel terrible!!!!!

I ate a Dominos Brooklyn Pizza. 1700 calories, about 90 grams of fat, sodium shot through the roof of about 4800 grams. It's still early in the day and I can't eat anything else. I knew it in my head, that voice was warning me not to do eat it. I knew better. I KNEW better! I didn't listen to myself. I feel the urge of throwing it up back up, but I don't do stuff like that.

Anyone know how many days it might take to completely recover from this mistake?

Very glad you decided not to purge...that's a bad road you don't want to go down.

Your body will recover just fine in a day. Just drink lots of water the rest of the day to help flush out the sodium. You might eat some fresh veggies just to help you feel full later if you get hungry.

Thank you! I just had some carrots actually. Wish I could have gone with that. But I'll be sure to drink lots of water.

Why don't you go to the gym? like that's the fix.... you ate the *kitten* now go do something about it and burn those calories off. If you don't go to the gym you can go and sign up tonight and then use the gym. if you can't afford it then go for a walk/job or run.

Not helpful ^^^^^^^

OP, we have all been there I promise you that. As the hours go by, that pizza will be further and further in the past. Do not let the rest of the day consume your mind with guilt over this. I hope you had a great time with your sister and you guys enjoyed eating together.

Instead of thinking it was all dreadful, make it a positive note that you did something good by spending time together. :):)

It sure was good! That's why I had a hard time putting it down. But now, my body is processing it now. So, there's nothing I can do. But thank you so much for your support. :D

You can go to the gym and work the calories off ... why am I the only person suggesting this?

Was the purpose of the post to get positive reinforcement/ justification for excessive calorie intake?

Okay, I see this has kind of annoyed some people. I did something at the spur of the moment without thinking. I panicked. I sought for support, advice, and to actually learn some things, becuase I knew the forum would give me quick feedback. For example, I didn't know drinking lots of water can help with sodium. I had planned on doing some workouts at home, and then using a machine at the gym that helps burn off a lot of calories.

It's like you're saying "I stole a car and I feel terrible about it, but I'm going to keep it... when the logically (to me) thing to do would be to give it back and then you'd feel better. By give it back I am referring to working out.

Not 1 machine, multiple machines! you want to go and lift weights you'll burn more calories lifting weights then you would doing cardio.

Very much not true. I burn approximately 185 calories doing 45 minutes of weight lifting, and approximately 350 calories doing 45 minutes of jogging. Saying that, I prefer to lift and do it three times a weeks (Stronglifts 5X5 FTW!!!). I try to fit in two cardio sessions a week, but it's usually only one.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

I feel terrible!!!!!

Not helpful ^^^^^^^

How many machines does it take you to burn 1,700 calories?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I feel terrible!!!!!

Not helpful ^^^^^^^

This is false. Weight training burns minimal calories. On somedays of the week I spend two hours training, squatting up to 200 pounds and deadlifting well over that. I never even count a calorie burn for it.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I feel terrible!!!!!

No worries at at. That's about a 17 mile run at 10-min-miling. Best get going....................

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I feel terrible!!!!!

Not helpful ^^^^^^^

Stealing a car is so not the same thing. She ate a pizza. If she has breakfast and a snack later she might be at maintenance for the day. Punishing yourself with hours of exercise when you eat something you perceive as "bad" is just a bad road to go down and could quickly spiral into quite disordered behaviour.

It's just food. You ate more of than you would have liked to stay within your goals but that's okay. The world isn't going to end. Fat isn't inherently bad and neither is sodium. Bank a few calories the rest of the week if you want to further mitigate the impact on your overall deficit but don't feel guilty about it. Life happens. Move on. Learn. Do better next time or try to preplan so you can bank calories for these splurges in future.

But no punishing yourself and no feeling guilty!
  • Joshacham
    Joshacham Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    That actually sounds extremely good right about now. Haven't had pizza in a while.
  • FashionQueen86
    Options
    There's one machine that really pumps me up so great that I have to slow down to catch my breath. The sweat pours like crazy. That's why I had suggested doing that. At least it will give my body the drive. Then if I feel up for it afterward, I'll do minimum weight training. But now that I'm seeing different opinions (which I wanted), I might change it up a bit.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I feel terrible!!!!!

Not helpful ^^^^^^^

Cardio burns a lot more calories than weights. Think of a car, to get it from A to B takes fuel. To stay still and just move the clutch doesn't.
    The more you move the more you burn.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    There's one machine that really pumps me up so great that I have to slow down to catch my breath. The sweat pours like crazy. That's why I had suggested doing that. At least it will give my body the drive. Then if I feel up for it afterward, I'll do minimum weight training. But now that I'm seeing different opinions (which I wanted), I might change it up a bit.

If you want to work out harder or longer, then go for it, but only because you want to not because you feel guilty or feel like you HAVE to do that.
  • FashionQueen86
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »

If you want to work out harder or longer, then go for it, but only because you want to not because you feel guilty or feel like you HAVE to do that.

Yeah, I know you're right. I've worked out over guilt before, and usually the exercises are short lived becuase of that. I'll try to clear my head a little before going tonight.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I don't know what time it is where you are, but if I ate 1700 calories any time before 5pm I would still need to eat later in the day. 1700 really isn't that bad, that's what I eat daily to lose. So even if it's over your goal, it's likely still within maintenance. It might take a few days to flush the sodium out, but it's not like it's the end of the world or anything. Identify what you can learn from this experience and keep going. No need to create drama over a pizza. :o
  • BinaryFu
    BinaryFu Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I know you're right. I've worked out over guilt before, and usually the exercises are short lived becuase of that. I'll try to clear my head a little before going tonight.

Guilt workouts are like giving something up for someone else - you're going to hate it and wind up resenting the person you did it for...in this case, yourself.

I agree with the majority here - in the grand scheme of things, it's a pizza pig out. Just once isn't going to ruin your health, destroy your hard work, turn muscle into fat overnight or make you become a junk food junkie.

Eat healthy the rest of the day and forgive yourself. All of us already have. ;)
  • weightaminutenow
    weightaminutenow Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Just think of it as a speed bump on your road to your goal!
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If I eat or drink something that pretty much guarantees I'm going to blow my calorie allotment for the day, I just try to eat a few calories less than what I'm already eating for the rest of the week and get in an extra cardio session.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I feel terrible!!!!!

Not helpful ^^^^^^^

Probably because OP has already mentioned the impulse to purge, and because exercise bulimia is a thing, and we don't want her to feel like she HAS to go to the gym to work out and get rid of every extra calorie? She already works out. I believe it is much healthier to learn to forgive yourself for occasional slip-ups. Feeling like you have to punish yourself every time leads to negative self-image and obsessiveness.
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water to get rid of the excess sodium. Give it a couple days and you should be back to your normal weight (if you experience water weight).
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options

You're the only person suggesting it because:

1. "Working off" 1700 calories in the gym in one day is an unrealistic goal, and the OP already works out regularly,
    2. Creating the expectation that any calories over goal *must* be exercised off after the fact is a big old step towards the kind of disordered eating behavior the OP mentioned struggling with the temptation towards in her first post,
    3. 1700 calories, while a lot for one meal, is not the end of the world- it is at most a few hundred calories over anyone on MFP's goal, and with sensible eating the rest of the day and week it will either set the OP's rate of loss back slightly (like, a few days slightly) or, if she chooses to trim a few calories off the next few days, not at all,
    4. Comparing eating a high-calorie meal to felony theft is absurd and unhelpful and fosters an unhealthy attitude towards food, which is a morally neutral form of stored energy and something we all need to learn how to consume without guilt or binge/restriction/purging.

You'll be fine, OP. Maybe you'll see a few days of slightly higher weights on the scale due to sodium, but 1700 calories isn't even equivalent to one pound of fat, even if you had eaten it in addition to all your usual daily calories. Eating a pizza didn't derail all your efforts and it's not a crime. Don't starve yourself the rest of the day or force yourself to hours of extra exercise to atone for this. Consider it a useful lesson in how this behavior doesn't make you feel your best anymore to file away for the next time you're tempted to overeat something really high calorie, and next time just have a slice or two.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    To be honest, not a big deal. Of course, if this is repeated, then it becomes an issue. There have been days where I have tripled my food goal (upwards of 5000 calories) and I sill am losing weight at roughly the same pace.