Does having a dog make/keep you more active?

Options
Our family is getting a puppy this Summer and I am really hoping that it will have a positive impact on the entire family's activity level. We are pretty inactive, not couch potatoes by any means, but when we are inside we are definitely on devices. I am having fantasies of long walks outside with the dog and overall being more active. Anyone here find that having a dog keeps them more active?

Replies

• ashtoncm394
    ashtoncm394 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I got a dog beginning of January...I find that she has made me much more active. I get outside daily, if not twice daily, to do at least 2-3 miles with her. Even on days I don't feel like it we still do because I want her to benefit. I do a lot of her training outside to so that keeps me on my feet also. She's helped me get way more movement in my day...bonus I count my steps (with my Misfit) when I take her out and so am able to get more calories for the day!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Our dog is our running partner. Even on days when I'm in pain, she needs walked so I have to get to stepping.
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Having a dog encourages you to be more active because a dog is healthier when it is active, but it won't make you (like some kind of on/off switch) more active.

You can keep the dog be indoors all the time (I don't recommend) and only let it out the yard to potty. This isn't making you more active in your own life style, you're just being more active in the extra responsibility.

If you think having a dog will make or keep you and your family more active then hopefully it works.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I got a dog beginning of January...I find that she has made me much more active. I get outside daily, if not twice daily, to do at least 2-3 miles with her. Even on days I don't feel like it we still do because I want her to benefit. I do a lot of her training outside to so that keeps me on my feet also. She's helped me get way more movement in my day...bonus I count my steps (with my Misfit) when I take her out and so am able to get more calories for the day!

The same for me. We got our puppy in January. I was a couch potato before doing occasional walks around the neighborhood and at most 1 hike a week. He gets walked 3 times daily Mon-Thurs. My husband does the morning walk (1.25 miles), I do the lunchtime walk (1.25 miles), and the evening walk usually falls to me which just got raised this week to 3.25 miles. Fridays he either gets the usual 3 walks or a hike. We also take him hiking most Saturdays and every Sunday. Each hike is a minimum 3 miles, up to 5 miles depending on the difficulty, weather, and how hyper/tired he is. No matter how tired or grumpy or lazy I am feeling, he always needs that exercise, so off we go.

Since getting my pedometer in November, I increased my steps from a sedentary 2000-2500 per day, up to 3000-4000 before the puppy, and now average at least 7000 each day and often over 10,000.

The part I am now working on is increasing speed. This requires the dog's cooperation since he wants to stop to sniff/bite/eat everything. But one lunch walk this week averaged 3.6mph when we started out averaging a little less than 3.0 in January.
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Mine used to but they're a bit older now and a short walk around the block 1 or 2 times a day is all they can do. I do miss the long walks, so I'd say dogs definitely help with being more active. Especially if you socialize them well around people and other dogs so they can go with you places like the park. So much fun!
  • finnsgma
    finnsgma Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Having a dog encourages you to be more active because a dog is healthier when it is active, but it won't make you (like some kind of on/off switch) more active.

You can keep the dog be indoors all the time (I don't recommend) and only let it out the yard to potty. This isn't making you more active in your own life style, you're just being more active in the extra responsibility.

If you think having a dog will make or keep you and your family more active then hopefully it works.

Our dog will definitely not be just let out as we have a yard but it isn't fenced in, plus do NOT want my yard to be full of poop ;)

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    If anyone wants to post pics of their dogs, feel free. I'm sure it's on topic :):D
  • zbakrjc
    zbakrjc Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I love dogs. Mine most certainly keeps me more active. Days when I don't feel like it he still wants to go out for a walk.

I-see-what-you-did-there.jpg
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,006 Member
    Options
    It can. I started walking my son's dog when he went off to college. We walk everyday now weather permitting. It has helped me to stay motivated. Just make sure you teach your dog good walking etiquette. The dog should walk beside you and keep your pace. Don't let it pull you it try to lead you where it wants to go. I see so many people at the park whose dogs don't know how to walk on a leash. It drives me crazy.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    It depends on the breed. There are a few very lazy breeds but there are a few crazy hyper breeds too
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    finnsgma wrote: »
    Our family is getting a puppy this Summer and I am really hoping that it will have a positive impact on the entire family's activity level. We are pretty inactive, not couch potatoes by any means, but when we are inside we are definitely on devices. I am having fantasies of long walks outside with the dog and overall being more active. Anyone here find that having a dog keeps them more active?

Our dogs did not really increase activity. They were not running type dogs. They were stop and sniff type dogs. They did not want to go out in rain or snow. Then they got older and less spry themselves. Great companions but not exercise partners.
    My activity increased much more with a basic $15 pedometer.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    If you make an effort, having a pup can be a great motivator! But you might not want to get a breed that far outpaces your activity level. I sadly know a number of people who are pretty slack about consistent walking and playtime with their high-energy dogs, and it's not doing anyone any favors.
  • Odilerubia
    Odilerubia Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    how wonderful to get a puppy. I do agree though, that a dog by itself doesnt make everyone more active. You do have to commit. I walk my dog now twice a day to get lots of steps on my fitbit and a few times extra for her to go pee. Last year though I was suffering so much from my burnout that I didnt walk that often and far. Poor dog, poor me, luckily enough she was doing fine and my son had to walk her a lot. So in case someone gets the flu, your children will not only be outside more, but really learn to be responsible towards a pet! you got a name already?
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    My dogs are digging my new active lifestyle - but they didn't make me active. At this point, they see me put on my walking shoes and they instantly perk up and go to their leashes. They love their walks and I love walking with them for the company and they definitely make me have to keep up. We have a pretty big fenced in yard, and while they are indoor dogs, the only exercise they were getting was running around chasing squirrels every day. Now, they walk 2.5 miles in the evening with me and still get to chase squirrels (and the occasional stray cat) around the yard every day. :) It's a win win for all three of us.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    Working dog breeds often have behavior issues when they don't get enough activity so do plan to commit to giving them that.

I walked my husky a half mile in the AM and up to two miles in the evening and my ex took him to dog park every day.

kuhcip9px4l0.jpg

6ulymyogbyke.jpg
  • ashtoncm394
    Options
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    It definitely depends on what kind of dog you get. I have a pit bull and they are active and tenacious! If we don't get out for a walk or play ball in a timely manner he will bounce in front of me, run laps around me, drop his ball in my lap repeatedly, etc. until he gets to go burn off some energy. It's pretty hilarious to watch and definitely makes sure that I go for a walk with him!

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    2aeulc7ycxo5.jpg
    tykl2p5r54xb.jpg
    etwlvfagdmt7.jpg

We deliberately got an active breed dog (German Shorthaired Pointer) because my husband is really active and wanted a dog that would not only hike but also go with him mountain biking. But it does mean Waldo requires a great deal of exercise every day even when we don't want to hike or bike.

Edit: Sorry for the picture rotations. For some reason my computer keeps rotating the pics.
  • ashtoncm394
    Options
    Rachel0778 wrote: »
    It definitely depends on what kind of dog you get. I have a pit bull and they are active and tenacious! If we don't get out for a walk or play ball in a timely manner he will bounce in front of me, run laps around me, drop his ball in my lap repeatedly, etc. until he gets to go burn off some energy. It's pretty hilarious to watch and definitely makes sure that I go for a walk with him!

I have a pitbull too! She needs her walk and play time. I have a dog back pack I put on her when we walk to give her some more "work" to do and burn off the energy.

I agree it depends on the breed. Pit bulls like to work and move forward so they are great for walks and running. However if you (OP) haven't chosen the type of dog you're getting yet you have to keep in mind that dogs like that are also high maintenance and require a big commitment.
  • brrrycicle
    brrrycicle Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Got a pug puppy last summer and living in a second-floor apartment, I climb the stairs A LOT now to let her go potty and to take her for walks. I at least try to do one lap with her around the park a day (0.5 miles). Helps that the park is just across the street. She's definitely been a blessing to my weight loss journey, and she's stinking cute to boot!

32lrb7mf6fv8.jpg