What's with this advocare thing??

Options
My sister in law refuses to do MFP with me, I've lost 45 pounds but she and other family members are on the magic train with advocare because it's worked for all of them in the past.. Now I'm all interested! Anyone have insight or info on it? Mainly curiosity!

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    MLM (multi-level marketing) scam. Waste of money for inferior products with lots of over-hyped advertising and woo. Save your money, stick to MFP and prosper. :)
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    MLM oh okay like those stupid it works wraps! I didn't know it was that kind of business!
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    ebaroldy wrote: »
    MLM oh okay like those stupid it works wraps! I didn't know it was that kind of business!

Yep. Just like Beachbody/Shakeology, Visalus, etc. - all MLM scams with junk products. The only person who benefits is the one selling them to you.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    ebaroldy wrote: »

Yep. Just like Beachbody/Shakeology, Visalus, etc. - all MLM scams with junk products. The only person who benefits is the one selling them to you.

^^^this

Also notice how Advocare worked for them "in the past." If they're to the point where you've tried to get them to count calories with you - guess what? It didn't work. It was a short-term fix.

You've lost 45 lbs counting calories - why be tempted by snake oil now? Keep doing what you're doing. You're doing it right.
  • Chenry18
    Chenry18 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I did the 24 day challenge and lost 14 lbs. I've lost 54 total and haven't put it back on. I had a good experience with AdvoCare products.
  • Chenry18
    Options
    I also walk a lot, changed my diet to feed my body what it needs to function optimally, added a multivitamin & cut out pop and alcohol.
  • Chenry18
    Options
    What is a multi level marketing company?
  • AnvilHead
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Chenry18 wrote: »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-level_marketing
    "Companies that use MLM models for compensation have been a frequent subject of criticism and lawsuits. Criticism has focused on their similarity to illegal pyramid schemes, price fixing of products, high initial entry costs (for marketing kit and first products), emphasis on recruitment of others over actual sales, encouraging if not requiring members to purchase and use the company's products, exploitation of personal relationships as both sales and recruiting targets, complex and exaggerated compensation schemes, the company and/or leading distributors making major money off training events and materials, and cult-like techniques which some groups use to enhance their members' enthusiasm and devotion.[9][14]"
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

It is basically a pyramid scheme. There is a person (corporate) at the top of the pyramid, who recruits salespeople to sell their product. The salespeople have to buyin to the business by buying some of the product and selling it for more than they bought it for, and the person at the top gets a portion of the sales people's money. The salespeople recruit people underneath them, then those salespeople recruit people, etc., until you've got multiple levels of salespeople out peddling their crap and driving away their family and friends. The person at the top may be very rich, but generally it's not a good investment for the salespeople within the pyramid because very few of them make a profit and lose the money that they spent to buy into the company.

It's a shoddy business model and the products really don't work and are extremely over-priced.
  • AnvilHead
    Options

It is basically a pyramid scheme. There is a person (corporate) at the top of the pyramid, who recruits salespeople to sell their product. The salespeople have to buyin to the business by buying some of the product and selling it for more than they bought it for, and the person at the top gets a portion of the sales people's money. The salespeople recruit people underneath them, then those salespeople recruit people, etc., until you've got multiple levels of salespeople out peddling their crap and driving away their family and friends. The person at the top may be very rich, but generally it's not a good investment for the salespeople within the pyramid because very few of them make a profit and lose the money that they spent to buy into the company.

It's a shoddy business model and the products really don't work and are extremely over-priced.

But they're sure aggressive with their sales techniques - spamming internet forums, crap all over their Facebook pages, bogus/shill reviews on every site they can post them on, etc.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

But they're sure aggressive with their sales techniques - spamming internet forums, crap all over their Facebook pages, bogus/shill reviews on every site they can post them on, etc.

Ain't that the truth. I've had to hide so many people from my Facebook feed because of it. It's either oils or wraps or Plexus or Jamberry - it's so annoying and it really makes interactions with those people seem shallow and disingenuous.
  • Chenry18
    Options
    DON'T even get me started on the oils. I could stub my toe and someone would have an oil to fix it, lmao
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    The heaviest set of parents in my kid's class were fairly high level Advocare distributors. IMO weren't real good models for the weight management products.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I have a fb friend who is actively trying to sell me isagenix. She is obese and I am bmi 20.5. Um OK thanks for telling me I need to lose weight ;)
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    DON'T even get me started on the oils. I could stub my toe and someone would have an oil to fix it, lmao

"Just put some thieves oil on it!"

This is a famous one-liner that this woman at my job says at least once a week. I live in Alabama - imagine a high-pitched Larry the Cable Guy yelling this across the break room.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Somehow I've been lucky and had no one spamming fb with any of these products.

Until today :'(

She's the one posting pics of meals with 3 lbs of cheese on a regular basis so I'm sure any weight loss will be because of advocare. Right? ::::rolls eyes:::::
  • jf3334
    jf3334 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I also walk a lot, changed my diet to feed my body what it needs to function optimally, added a multivitamin & cut out pop and alcohol.

Congratulations on your weight loss! I have a sneaking suspicion this is why you lost weight though, not because of the avocare. Your changed habits put you at a calorie deficit.
  • Karihappy
    Karihappy Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have been drinking Shakeology every morning for breakfast since last August and think it's the bomb. I don't lump it in with other "snake oil" products. It gives me more energy and can be the only thing responsible for no longer craving junk food like I used to for the past 27 years. 5229779.png
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    I was getting ready to get my fight on then I was @AnvilHead got here first:) Listen to him. It's just another MLM. The individual products aren't the devil, but compared to MFP method which is lifetime sustainable, it's also a waste of time and money.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    It's snakeoil. SMH

So is shakeology.