Boiled vs fried eggs

Options
Ok this might be a stupid question but I'm really confused.

So I've been eating eggs for a while now as they are an obvious good source of protein, but recently I've looked into the difference between raw, boiled and fried eggs. As it turns out they have really different nutrient values. Isn't an egg just an egg? So now I'm lost because people added a million different kind of egg entries in the database.

Can someone point me in the right direction of what the macros are for a medium egg:
boiled ; whole / just whites
fried ; whole / just whites

thanks

Replies

• BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Here is a comprehensive database from the USDA.
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

There will be natural variations in eggs, within a reasonable range, because they are not identical.

Regarding frying an egg, that will be a huge variation. Did you fry it in a tablespoon of butter or with a mist of non-stick spray. If you are trying to be that accurate, I recommend you add raw eggs and whatever fat/oil you cooked them in to get an accurate value.
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I usually eat my eggs hard boiled. I figure a cooked egg without added cooking fat is a good base, after all I don't eat raw eggs. Then if I cook it any other way, like pan fried in cooking spray, I add the oil in separately in my diary.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    If I fry eggs I use a no calories no stick spray so for me they have the same calories no matter how I cook them...if you fry them in butter or oil, add that to your diary too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would say the nutrient variance is negligible...but maybe I'm just not OCD enough to bother being that exact. I wouldn't say the vary greatly or anything. Of course the biggest variable would be what you're cooking them in. If you're frying them with a quick shot of no calorie cooking spray vs butter/oil, etc...then you're going to see a lot of difference.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I think the variances come because it's input in the system using a general cooking technique which may include oil. If I scramble eggs, but I don't use any oil or butter, I just track is as X number of eggs.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    If you fry it, it will hold some oil (calories) if you boil it, water has no calories so can't add to it.

Zara
  • demitri_316
    demitri_316 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What about having the egg whites or the yellow part. Which has the higher cholesterol content (HDL vs LDL)???
  • DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    An egg is an egg no matter how you cook it. What matters is what *else* you're using when cooking it. Cheese? Butter? Olive Oil? Those might be the differences you're seeing when looking at different recipes.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    EQComics wrote: »
    An egg is an egg no matter how you cook it. What matters is what *else* you're using when cooking it. Cheese? Butter? Olive Oil? Those might be the differences you're seeing when looking at different recipes.

Yep, simple as that!

Plus, I don't bother with eating just the whites, what a waste! The yolk is the best most nutritious part. I'm pretty sure eggs causing high cholesterol has been debunked.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    besides the fat you cooked the egg in, the size of the egg itself makes a difference ... Medium, Large, X-Large ...
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    EQComics wrote: »

Yep, simple as that!

Plus, I don't bother with eating just the whites, what a waste! The yolk is the best most nutritious part. I'm pretty sure eggs causing high cholesterol has been debunked.

Diabetics need to be concerned about the cholesterol, but not healthy people.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    What about having the egg whites or the yellow part. Which has the higher cholesterol content (HDL vs LDL)???

The yolk has basically all of the cholesterol and fats and vitamins and minerals. The white has almost all of the protein.