Falling in love with the process

Options
For those struggling with staying on track...
So often I see people posting about being discouraged and wanting to give up because the results aren't coming as quickly as they'd like, or that losing weight is too tough...
I vaguely remember reading a blog post about motivation once, and how in order to reach your goals, it of course takes hard work and dedication. The key to not giving up, though, is to fall in love with the process.
So that's what I did...and here's what I've discovered:
I love learning new ways to make lower calorie meals, and even sharing them with others. Cooking a nutritious meal and sharing it with others feels like the ultimate expression of love, and I get the benefit of their company. (dinner parties, anyone? :-) )

I also love the routine, and having my day pre-logged/mapped out for me without having to think about what to eat for every meal.

I love how alive I feel during a workout, the rush I get when I finish a it, and how much better I sleep at night.

I love the new active hobbies I've picked up, like dancing, and how I enjoy it so much that it doesn't even feel like a workout.

I love that my cholesterol results are in the 180s rather than over 300 like they used to be, and all of my other numbers are in healthier ranges as well.

Even though I haven't yet reached my goal, I love stepping on the scale and seeing a smaller number than I ever imagined I'd see, and no longer having to shop in the plus size section.

I love the self confidence I've gained and the friends I've made along the way who inspire me to continue.

Rarely is it about the destination, but the journey. I always thought healthier living meant eating only carrot sticks and torturing myself for 12 hours on the treadmill each day, but I've discovered, to my delight, how wrong I was. It isn't always easy, but it doesn't have to be a painful experience.
What inspires and motivates you? What have you learned about yourself? What about this process has made your life better?

Fall in love with the process and the results will come..

Replies

• jennkaufer89
    jennkaufer89 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    For those struggling with staying on track...
    So often I see people posting about being discouraged and wanting to give up because the results aren't coming as quickly as they'd like, or that losing weight is too tough...
    I vaguely remember reading a blog post about motivation once, and how in order to reach your goals, it of course takes hard work and dedication. The key to not giving up, though, is to fall in love with the process.
    So that's what I did...and here's what I've discovered:
    I love learning new ways to make lower calorie meals, and even sharing them with others. Cooking a nutritious meal and sharing it with others feels like the ultimate expression of love, and I get the benefit of their company. (dinner parties, anyone? :-) )

I also love the routine, and having my day pre-logged/mapped out for me without having to think about what to eat for every meal.

I love how alive I feel during a workout, the rush I get when I finish a it, and how much better I sleep at night.

I love the new active hobbies I've picked up, like dancing, and how I enjoy it so much that it doesn't even feel like a workout.

I love that my cholesterol results are in the 180s rather than over 300 like they used to be, and all of my other numbers are in healthier ranges as well.

Even though I haven't yet reached my goal, I love stepping on the scale and seeing a smaller number than I ever imagined I'd see, and no longer having to shop in the plus size section.

I love the self confidence I've gained and the friends I've made along the way who inspire me to continue.

Rarely is it about the destination, but the journey. I always thought healthier living meant eating only carrot sticks and torturing myself for 12 hours on the treadmill each day, but I've discovered, to my delight, how wrong I was. It isn't always easy, but it doesn't have to be a painful experience.
    What inspires and motivates you? What have you learned about yourself? What about this process has made your life better?

Fall in love with the process and the results will come..

This, this, this! It's about coming to terms with the fact that this journey isn't going to be a 3-month thing and then the world will be better. Being healthy and maintaining a healthy weight is a lifelong road to travel!
  • mel35645
    mel35645 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    What am AMAZING post!! Thank you for sharing it is so true and just the reminder I needed.
  • RosemaryBronte
    RosemaryBronte Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that really insightful post.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Great post, my thoughts exactly!
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    What's worked for me is: every month I am either losing weight very slowly or even at a plateau is a month I didn't gain weight. So even if I am losing slowly, I am still doing better than when I put on all this weight.
  • olive1968
    olive1968 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    This is a great post. Thank you so much.
  • aftnrid88
    aftnrid88 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This was beautiful! YES!

I love not thinking about food all the freakin time. I love portioning my food. As a previous mindless snacker, this has been huge for me. I love sharing this experience with my boyfriend. I love feeling healthier all the time and not being in a rush to lose a certain amount of weight by a certain time. I love having a ton of fruit within arms reach. I love looking up nutrition facts (so illuminating!). I love seeing my body change. I love making a decision every day to treat myself well. :blush:
  • TheChrissyT
    TheChrissyT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    <3
  • illykins87
    illykins87 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you great read! Feel free to add me as a friend for support and motivation!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I love knowing that if I blow it and binge, I won't "gain 10 pounds" unless I keep overeating. So, the one day I blew it, is a day I can recover from. I don't need to spiral downhill. That's very empowering to me. Thanks for a great thread and your post OP.
  • Malenurse51
    Malenurse51 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    I love knowing that if I blow it and binge, I won't "gain 10 pounds" unless I keep overeating. So, the one day I blew it, is a day I can recover from. I don't need to spiral downhill. That's very empowering to me. Thanks for a great thread and your post OP.

That's what keep me going!
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Wonderful post! You've hit the nail on the head!
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I love all of the responses! Hopefully we can all motivate someone who is struggling in some way!
  • dragon_girl26
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »

That's what keep me going!

+1 on This!
    I had to learn how to come to terms with that, too, but once I did, it's so freeing not drowning myself in the guilt. Thank you for sharing!
  • dragon_girl26
    Options
    aftnrid88 wrote: »
    This was beautiful! YES!

I love not thinking about food all the freakin time. I love portioning my food. As a previous mindless snacker, this has been huge for me. I love sharing this experience with my boyfriend. I love feeling healthier all the time and not being in a rush to lose a certain amount of weight by a certain time. I love having a ton of fruit within arms reach. I love looking up nutrition facts (so illuminating!). I love seeing my body change. I love making a decision every day to treat myself well. :blush:

All great things, especially seeing the 'healthier feeling' part as the main focus, and the weight loss as a side effect/benefit of that!
  • BlueAfternoon
    BlueAfternoon Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with this! For myself throughout my weight-loss journey, I can tell that not only does "falling in love with the process" tend to motivate you really well in some parts, it can also change the reasons you started in the first place.

At the beginning, I wanted to lose weight for pure vanity, and now I love exercising and finding healthy recipes, how I feel etc.

Who else feels like this?
  • ngolden3320
    ngolden3320 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I love when you do something at the gym and you are able to go a little faster, a little longer, or lift a little more weight then you were able to the day before. So even if I don't see huge numbers on the scale I know I am getting healthier everyday. :)
  • dragon_girl26
    Options
    I love when you do something at the gym and you are able to go a little faster, a little longer, or lift a little more weight then you were able to the day before. So even if I don't see huge numbers on the scale I know I am getting healthier everyday. :)

Oh me too! Right now I'm thinking about training for a half marathon and I get excited when I see that I've walked a longer distance in less time! It's a great feeling!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Very good advice.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    Cooking a nutritious meal and sharing it with others feels like the ultimate expression of love

I COMPLETELY agree!