Stronglifts 5x5 and Planet Fitness

Options
13»

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    @AnvilHead - yes I've heard stories of PF before and there are a few near me. I actually just joined a similar gym to these but from the time I first checked them out to now they have added two complete power rack setups and got their act together. As a customer it doesn't make sense not to ask questions, voice opinions, and request equipment...

Glad to hear it, but it seems to be the rare exception rather than the rule. Their corporate stance is to mock people who are in good physical condition/lift heavy things.

...All that being said the way quite a few of you came off in this thread to OP is terrible and can be a complete turn off to them getting started into a healthy lifestyle. They have no other gym options, and proper equipment at home is not an option so why bother pointing it out or telling them to switch gyms....

I agree, which is why I posted what I did. SL 5x5/SS are pretty much the "one-size-fits-all" answer to every strength training question on MFP, and no other solution is viable. While they're well-designed programs and all, there are plenty of different strength training programs/modalities with which people have had great success in getting stronger and transforming their bodies. For a newbie, just about *any* program will yield results as long as it's not completely idiotic. Machines, free weights, body weight, TRX, kettlebells, strength bands....doing anything is better than doing nothing. Although I use free weights in my training, I disagree with (and roll my eyes at) the "free weights or GTFO" dogma thrown out there by many.

If OP likes the programming of SL 5x5, adapt it to the machines you have available and have at it. The StrongLifts police aren't going to come snatch you off the machines and beat you to a bloody pulp because you're not using free weights. You'll still make strength gains and derive benefits from the workouts. You don't have to move to another city or join a gym 40 miles away that you'll only force yourself to drive to once a week. The workouts you'll do most consistently are far better than the more "optimal" ones you'll only do once every other week.
  • awnurmarc
    awnurmarc Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Machines are better that nothing. But I would think that dumbbells would be more effective. Personally I would guess that one-armed overhead and bench press would be safer that using both arms at once. Better to have only one weight over your head.
  • Mountainbum777
    Mountainbum777 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    @AnvilHead - yes I've heard stories of PF before and there are a few near me. I actually just joined a similar gym to these but from the time I first checked them out to now they have added two complete power rack setups and got their act together. As a customer it doesn't make sense not to ask questions, voice opinions, and request equipment...

Glad to hear it, but it seems to be the rare exception rather than the rule. Their corporate stance is to mock people who are in good physical condition/lift heavy things.

...All that being said the way quite a few of you came off in this thread to OP is terrible and can be a complete turn off to them getting started into a healthy lifestyle. They have no other gym options, and proper equipment at home is not an option so why bother pointing it out or telling them to switch gyms....

I agree, which is why I posted what I did. SL 5x5/SS are pretty much the "one-size-fits-all" answer to every strength training question on MFP, and no other solution is viable. While they're well-designed programs and all, there are plenty of different strength training programs/modalities with which people have had great success in getting stronger and transforming their bodies. For a newbie, just about *any* program will yield results as long as it's not completely idiotic. Machines, free weights, body weight, TRX, kettlebells, strength bands....doing anything is better than doing nothing. Although I use free weights in my training, I disagree with (and roll my eyes at) the "free weights or GTFO" dogma thrown out there by many.

If OP likes the programming of SL 5x5, adapt it to the machines you have available and have at it. The StrongLifts police aren't going to come snatch you off the machines and beat you to a bloody pulp because you're not using free weights. You'll still make strength gains and derive benefits from the workouts. You don't have to move to another city or join a gym 40 miles away that you'll only force yourself to drive to once a week. The workouts you'll do most consistently are far better than the more "optimal" ones you'll only do once every other week.

Very well said!
  • Hawkeye4356
    Hawkeye4356 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    why are smith machines the devil?
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I'd invest in a Landmine sleeve and a barbell with weights. You can get a full-body workout and you don't need much space to perform the exercises.
  • Hawkeye4356
    Options
    I do the 5x5 here at home and alone btw so my smith machine keeps me alive when I'm lifting weight that could possibly kill me. dont get me wrong i do know that a proper squat uses 43 more muscles than that of a smith machine squat but i cant promise that i wont drop 245 pounds on a concrete floor while my wife and kids are asleep so the smith machine is better.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    why are smith machines the devil?

They can force you into unnatural movement. Most people don't lift in a perfectly straight line. The other issue is that unless you set the safeties you can't dump the weight like you can with free weights, and they give a false sense of security. They're not the devil, just something people need to think about while they're using and how they're using.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    If all you have is the Smith machine, then you can make it work, but it's not ideal.
  • Hawkeye4356
    Options
    agreed sunny. I thought so and I see it with my wife her form for most heavy lifts are different than mine but I truly try and focus of straight line lifting. I do however think stabalizer muscles are prolly getting neglected so i mix in a few days a month with true free weights. oh and i never do deadlifts on SM cause i dont think that will work right at all!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    You'll do great with the combined equipment you have access to, assuming you aren't looking to compete or anything. Add in some glute bridges or thrusts with the heavy dumbbells if Smith machine squats don't work with your body. Then you can try 1-legged heavy dumbbell ones as well if you can figure out how to balance the weight (I've never tried that move like that with 2 dumbbells).

As far as stabilizer muscles, throw in some tough bodyweight moves! Talk about stabilizer muscles :) I bet Planet Fitness has better mat space than my old freeweight area of the gym.

Here are a good couple to add for glutes:
    http://redefiningstrength.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/reverse-hyper-glute-activation-e1421966099734.jpg

http://redefiningstrength.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/straight-leg-fire-hydrant-e1423845650719.jpg

And a lot more ideas:
    http://redefiningstrength.com/target-those-glutes-15-bodyweight-glute-exercises/

Then plank variations, handstand work and pull/chin-ups are pretty well known for most everything else (in general). Have fun and good luck!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I do the 5x5 here at home and alone btw so my smith machine keeps me alive when I'm lifting weight that could possibly kill me. dont get me wrong i do know that a proper squat uses 43 more muscles than that of a smith machine squat but i cant promise that i wont drop 245 pounds on a concrete floor while my wife and kids are asleep so the smith machine is better.

You don't have safety bars on your squat rack? I squat alone no problems
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    The squat rack at my gym doesn't allow me to squat ATG so I don't use it. I squat outside of the box. Always have.
  • TasnimEz
    TasnimEz Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'm using the free mini course right now that Nia Shanks offers, and I'm doing it with only one adjustable dumbbell. I just can't afford a gym membership. It works a whole lot better than doing nothing and since I'm seeing results I'll keep on doing it until I buy one of her programs. You might want to check them out, there are several and she can probably help you with exercise alternatives for the ones where you don't have the equipment. In the free mini course for example there are already instructions for different exercises if you don't have a barbell, etc.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    TasnimEz wrote: »
    I'm using the free mini course right now that Nia Shanks offers, and I'm doing it with only one adjustable dumbbell. I just can't afford a gym membership. It works a whole lot better than doing nothing and since I'm seeing results I'll keep on doing it until I buy one of her programs. You might want to check them out, there are several and she can probably help you with exercise alternatives for the ones where you don't have the equipment. In the free mini course for example there are already instructions for different exercises if you don't have a barbell, etc.

I love nia Shanks! I have done her 54321 and muscle sculpting programs with great results! ( she doesn't advertise these 2 anymore in her store)
  • TasnimEz
    TasnimEz Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    TasnimEz wrote: »

I love nia Shanks! I have done her 54321 and muscle sculpting programs with great results! ( she doesn't advertise these 2 anymore in her store)

She's awesome! Love her whole attitude towards nutrition and exercise, and although the programs seem simple and the workouts short, it works! :smiley:
  • Pocket__Cthulhu
    Pocket__Cthulhu Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    drachfit wrote: »
    do not use machines. get most of your work from the dumbbells and body-weight exercises. Stronglifts 5x5 is not really an option on a smith machine, but you can make a very similar and effective strength program by replacing some of the lifts.

Barbell Back Squat --> Single Leg Dumbbell Split Squat & Dumbbell Goblet Squat
    Barbell Bent Over Rows --> Single Arm Heavy Dumbbell Rows
    Standing Overhead Press --> Standing Dumbbell Overhead Press
    Barbell Bench Press --> Dumbbell Bench Press
    Pull-ups --> Pull-ups
    Dips --> Dips

Deadlift is the hardest to replace but also one of the most important. Probably the best replacement is: Glute-Ham Raise.

You might have to make slower progress as dumbbells are harder to control, and you can only jump the weight in 10-lb increments instead of 5-lb jumps. To overcome this, start each exercise with 5 sets of 5 reps, and every session instead of adding weight, try to achieve 5 sets of 8 reps. Once you can achieve 5x8, increase the weight on the next session and do 5 sets of 5reps again.

Make more use of Dips and Pullups. Weighted dips are very close to bench pressing in terms of muscles developed, and you can go heavy if your form is good. Weighted pullups will somewhat make up for the lack of heavy pulling that you are not getting from your glute-ham raise. You can add weight with a belt (or just a bit of rope tied around your waist) and these exercises can make you extremely strong.

If you cannot add weight to a pullup yet, use an assisted pullup machine to work up to zero assistance or purchase a ~50lb exercise band to bring with you; wrap it around the bar and stick your knee in it to assist your pullups. And do 5x5 pullup negatives. Ditto for dips. Learning these lifts properly will give you a very efficient tool for improving your upper body.

People got strong for centuries before SL5x5 was invented, and they did it by just lifting a bunch of heavy stuff! SL5x5 is a pretty optimal method but you can make great progress with the tools you do have available.

I also recommend checking out bodyweight exercises supplemented with weighted dips, pullups, Glute-Ham raise, and Split Squats. That is the method used by the Fitness FAQ's guy here: fitnessFAQs. The key is free-weight and controlling your body in free space. You can still make excellent gains.

Thank you.

And thanks for the others who have suggested dumbbell exercises. There's a lot of good information here, and I appreciate all of the input. I've been saving the articles and going through them. I'm fairly new to free weights and as I mentioned before, the personal trainer was useless so I can't trust her to show me proper form. I've started just asking people who look like they know what they're doing for help. I'm not going to put effort into a program where I wont get all the benefits from it, and I need my core to be strong like everything else right?