completely frustrated - different results, same effort

Options

Replies

• SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    OP, if you're convinced you're doing the same things and your weight isn't changing (or not as much as you think it should), have you considered getting a new (bodyweight) scale? (Or changing the battery, if yours uses one.)

And for the record, I'm sorry but I agree with all the advice about using a food scale and wonder why it is you're so adamant about not doing so. I freely admit that I don't use mine for everything, but if I stopped losing weight that's the first thing I would tighten up on.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    ERAY13 wrote: »
    Oh, PS - I'll be 35 in May, so not too behind you in age. I also wanted to encourage you to avoid heavy duty cardio and consider weights. I personally don't do heavy stuff. I stick to 10lbs and under. Maybe take some dance classes and body pump. Or Jillian Michaels stuff (she does interval as well). Running isn't necessarily the best way to lose weight. And very hard on joints if you're a woman.

Wouldn't exercising with weights no heavier than 10 pounds be closer to cardio than progressive lifting?

And running is hard on joints for women??? On what are you basing this advice?

I second this! What up with this?
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to the people that say you can't gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. Maybe it's true at a certain level of fitness but I always stall on scale when I start new exercise. My suggestion would be to do longer workouts but with a day off between them for awhile. Give your body time to recover, be extra careful with calories on the days you don't exercise. Like workout an hour then take a day off, instead of 30 minutes each day. Good luck!
  • mrsroseblack
    mrsroseblack Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Ellaskat wrote: »
    Please help. I'm 37, 5'6. On Jan 2, I weighed 150. I started a concerted and focused weight loss effort on Jan. 26. I've been eating 1000-1400 calories a day for the first 3 weeks, then dropped that to 1000-1300.

For the first 3-4 weeks, I focused on walking 4500 steps a day and also did 2-3 12-18 minute workouts a week. This past week I upped my exercise to 5-6 workouts a week of 30-45 minutes. (3 days of interval run, walk and sprint, 3 days of body weight exercises with cardio).

Dear.. you are STARVING yourself. I'm eating 1700 cal a day, NO EXERCISE (yet), and I've lost 8.8 lbs since 4 Feb.. Please eat more!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    No - you are wrong - a scale is not the issue. If it was the issue, I would not have lost weight last year. Using a scale is a thoughtless pat answer on these boards - which is why I say that.

I lost all my weight last year without a scale, by measuring. I am doing exactly the same thing now. That is the issue I want help with - not some mindless MFP mantra of 'buy a scale'.

I am also not trying to lose additional weight. I am trying to lose the same weight (sadly) a second time.

Same starting weight
    Same recipes
    Same measuring system
    Same exercise amounts

Very different results - the same methods with different/no results is what i'm looking for insight on. Why is this happening.

I asked nicely for help - so please don't throw your nasty 'you're sloppy, don't want to hear it, etc comments at me - not the case.
    There are posts with excellent information...helpful posts. No one is being nasty. They're frustrated because they're offering help and you're so quick to judge them. Others are trying to help you out by suggesting measuring is not as accurate as weighing (that is SO true!), but you're so quick to discount. Why don't you try and weigh your food and logging that way before discounting something you've never ever tried and shutting helpful people down? If you keep shutting helpful advice down, no one will be willing to help you. I truly don't understand why you ask for help and don't bother listening. Everyone is trying to help, you know? No one is joking with you when they suggest a scale. Thing is, with so little weight to lose, one HAS to be incredibly accurate...and measuring cups and spoons just won't cut it.

What have you got to lose purchasing a scale and weighing your food? Nothing, except weight. You want to lose weight, right? Most of us are here or have been here for the same reason.

A few months ago, my kitchen scale broke, so I had to resort to measuring with cups and spoons. I thought I did a great job, but when I jumped on the scale a month later, I didn't lose a thing, in fact, I gained around 6 lbs. It wasn't TOTM, and I didn't consume more sodium than usual. I actually ended up weighing my cup-measured foods and realised I had been eating more calories than I thought. I too once thought kitchen scales were a waste of time....Ha... it turned out to be the most valuable weight loss tool I've ever used.

The only thing that causes weight loss is eating less than your total burn (living, activities, exercise) in the day...that's it.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to the people that say you can't gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. Maybe it's true at a certain level of fitness but I always stall on scale when I start new exercise. My suggestion would be to do longer workouts but with a day off between them for awhile. Give your body time to recover, be extra careful with calories on the days you don't exercise. Like workout an hour then take a day off, instead of 30 minutes each day. Good luck!

That's because new workouts means water retention (but not new muscle. Muscle growth takes considerably more time than a few days.)
  • Calimama123
    Calimama123 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I know I made a whole seperate thread about this but I'm going to mention it here too because I'm obsessed. Read Burn the fat feed the muscle by tom venuto. It's incredible and will give you a ton of tips
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing fine, really. But if your daily calorie goals this year and last both have a range of 300-400 calories a day difference, then the possible mixture of outcomes is pretty large. I'd average them each week to see how they compare.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options

That's because new workouts means water retention (but not new muscle. Muscle growth takes considerably more time than a few days.)

Well duh, doesn't mean its not also happening at the same time as water retention. And yes i can gain muscle in a week or two.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Well duh, doesn't mean its not also happening at the same time as water retention. And yes i can gain muscle in a week or two.

I'm curious, but just how much muscle do you believe one can gain in a week or two while eating at a calorie deficit?

(Hint: not enough to even show up on a scale.)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I'm curious, but just how much muscle do you believe one can gain in a week or two while eating at a calorie deficit?

Or in a surplus? While maxing out on steroids?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    OP I was anti scale when I first started here.. Long story short, I now weigh every single thing I eat. Measuring cups and spoons are a pain in the butt! !

soooo, my only advice is to eat less and move more. This will help offset your inaccurate logging.

Good luck :smile:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    OP, It would seem that you have a lot of holes in your tracking and are inconsistent. Empty weeks and under- or un-reported days this month. Try to get that aligned, it should help some.

ikk8cp9lon3g.png
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Might I suggest you read the "Dear mean people of MFP" thread?
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Final post from me - thank you all who weighed in thoughtfully and kindly. So here are my parting thoughts.

Most importantly - though I still have not lost weight, when I measured this morning, I have lost 1-1.5 inches each on chest, hips, waist, and each thigh. Now I feel better - my body is changing things, even if it isn't the scale, and that's all I was looking for.

I clearly asked in my OP not to just say 'weigh your food'. That's because I spent a LOT of time on the boards last winter/spring. Enough to know that is the standard answer for so many things and I was looking for different feedback. If that was the info I was looking for, that measuring isn't as accurate as weighing, then I wouldn't have needed to post a question at all. But so many of you were ready to address this, instead of my actual question. Not mad at those who weigh, but not what I was looking for info about. I also saw a lot of bullying, nasty, snarky comments when I was last on the boards. Enough to make me stop logging in. I refuse to be bullied off the boards because there are still good/nice people here.

If you think your 'tell it like it is' 'Dr. Phil' style helps people, good for you. I'm not one of the people it helps - and I'm not alone.

Stepping out of your comfort zone, discussing an issue or problem with strangers isn't easy, and a lot of us want advice. Not coddling, but not bullying either.

Civil discourse. It goes a long way.

Thank you to all who helped. Good luck on your journeys!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    can anyone offer comments on why I would have different results doing exactly the same things, with the same starting weight, only 1 year apart. Thank you for the water idea. That is something I can think is probably different. Last year I worked in an environment where I drank hot herbal tea all day long. This time around, I'm working from a location where I realize my water intake is probably much less. That's a great helpful, not attacking idea. thank you. I welcome any ideas that are respectfully given.

These boards should be a place we help each other. Otherwise, what's the point? Attacking and insulting strangers is a pretty sad commentary on who you are. Get your aggression out at the gym.

I just read the first page but who's attacking you?

• bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    bully1
    ˈbʊli/
    verb
    gerund or present participle: bullying
    use superior strength or influence to intimidate (someone), typically to force them to do something.

You're not a victim of bullying because people on the internet didn't agree with you and/or say exactly what you wanted them to say.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    *wanders into thread*

Hey, has anyone suggested a food scale?

*wanders out of thread*
  • nickypinchen
    nickypinchen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Ellaskat, I feel yout frustrations, I am there myself at the moment!! The standard settings on myfitnesspal regarding your macro nutrient percentages can be changed, generally the carbohydrate percentage is too high. Try changing your ratios to 20% carbohydrates, 20% protein and 60% fat (oviously this fat needs to be made up from nonsaturated variety) I am doing the same start this week. Good luck, areyou Africaans by any chance?
  • jofjltncb6
    edited February 2016
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    can anyone offer comments on why I would have different results doing exactly the same things, with the same starting weight, only 1 year apart. Thank you for the water idea. That is something I can think is probably different. Last year I worked in an environment where I drank hot herbal tea all day long. This time around, I'm working from a location where I realize my water intake is probably much less. That's a great helpful, not attacking idea. thank you. I welcome any ideas that are respectfully given.

These boards should be a place we help each other. Otherwise, what's the point? Attacking and insulting strangers is a pretty sad commentary on who you are. Get your aggression out at the gym.

I just read the first page but who's attacking you?

No one.

But good luck getting here to see that.