Need Advice First 10K

Options

I have my first 10K in next 2 months. Can someone please give few tips, what exercise should i do at gym? Diet? Breathing tips?

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122/10-K-Training-Guide-Novice-Program

this is an 8 week running program. i recommend running outside as much as possible.

breathe through your mouth.
  • fitnessnoidea
    fitnessnoidea Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you. This is awesome. Any recommendations on how much should i maintain my HR during the run?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Thank you. This is awesome. Any recommendations on how much should i maintain my HR during the run?

don't sweat your heart rate too much. remember that a comfortable pace is one where you can hold a conversation with someone next to you.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    enjoy yourself. talk to people there. i like to pick my packet up ahead of time so i have one less thing to worry about
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Once a week try a tempo run - maybe a slow mile to warm up, then 2 or 3 miles at a faster pace (like "race" pace) then a mile to cool down. This made a tremendous difference to me as a 10k and half marathon runner.
    Good luck!
  • cheloldroyd
    cheloldroyd Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I did the c2k program last year and was running on average 3 times a week. I did my first 10k in November and found that it wasn't that bad. I just ran at a steady jog like I do when I run 5k. Managed to get finished in 1:02:54 so was quite pleased. Looking forward to doing a few more this year :smiley:
  • nats2508
    nats2508 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Firstly, well done for signing up to do it and secondly, try and get 3 or more runs in a week (including a long run). Do some strength work to mix things up and increase your stamina. On race day, don't set out too fast, pace yourself but mostly, have fun! I will be doing my 3rd 10k in 2 months and am hoping to be faster than the other 2 times but as this is your first, enjoy it and don't be affraid to walk.