Name one thing...

Options
mrsgoss
mrsgoss Posts: 57 Member
Hi! I am just starting back on this journey again after gaining, losing and gaining the same 60 pounds. (throw knee surgery in there). I am feeling pretty discouraged at the mountain ahead of me like I just can't face doing this again and WHY can't I stick with it when I know I feel better with the weight off...So I was on here this am scrolling through motivation and support, ect...And it came to me to jump in the SUCCESS forum and ask would you be willing to share ONE thing that you changed, added, did, said, struggled with and overcame, ect.with me that got you here posting your SUCCESS in this forum? :-) I thought the best place to start for me is not necessarily under motivation, help, I have this much to lose but hearing what has helped makes others successful coming out the other side. Maybe your ONE (or two...) change you made, might make me go " I can do that"! Thanks so much for sharing!

Replies

• Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I got off diabetes medication. My health is my biggest motivator. My sugar is well under control. But I know if I stop what I'm doing, if I slide back into my old bad habits my sugar will start to rise and I'll be back on medication before I know what's hit me. That's all the motivation I need. Plus I like the way I look and feel now. I love looking in the mirror and not hating what I see.
  • rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Think of the one crutch food you have and be willing to cut it out cold turkey. For me it was bacon. I loved making bacon and eggs, breakfast sandwiches, bacon and toast... You get the idea. I'd eat like 6-8 strips in one sitting, and they're packed with sodium and fat. Delicious? absolutely! But it's been about a month now since I've had any bacon and I'm doing really well.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut out anything, but my problem food is chips. I will mindlessly eat a whole family size bag. So now I weigh out 1 portion, put it in a bowl, put the bag in a cupboard, sit at the kitchen table and eat it. Much more self control that way.

Also, I have a glass of water first thing in the morning, and that helps to remind me to drink it. If I don't think about having some til later, I end up drinking little to none and having not so good drinks that don't fit into my calories instead.

Those have been my 2 biggest things. I have lost 15 pounds since December 27, 46 pounds altogether.

• mrsgoss
    Options
    Think of the one crutch food you have and be willing to cut it out cold turkey. For me it was bacon. I loved making bacon and eggs, breakfast sandwiches, bacon and toast... You get the idea. I'd eat like 6-8 strips in one sitting, and they're packed with sodium and fat. Delicious? absolutely! But it's been about a month now since I've had any bacon and I'm doing really well.

Not sure I can give up BACON!!! LOL, that would be huge for me though :-)
  • mrsgoss
    Options
    pbprincess wrote: »
    I haven't cut out anything, but my problem food is chips. I will mindlessly eat a whole family size bag. So now I weigh out 1 portion, put it in a bowl, put the bag in a cupboard, sit at the kitchen table and eat it. Much more self control that way.

Also, I have a glass of water first thing in the morning, and that helps to remind me to drink it. If I don't think about having some til later, I end up drinking little to none and having not so good drinks that don't fit into my calories instead.

Those have been my 2 biggest things. I have lost 15 pounds since December 27, 46 pounds altogether.

Awesome job! I also could eat Doritos mindlessly
  • TammerTammer
    TammerTammer Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    For me it is all mental. I decided it was time. Emotionally I prepared as well as nutritionally. 31 lbs down since Jan 2nd. Still don't see or feel results but I am doing it. Changed my whole outlook and then my lifestyle.
  • mrsgoss
    Options
    THAT is an amazing job!! Good for you and vibrates on your weight loss. Can I ask how you worked on getting yourself into that head space? I know it's an emotional thing, I just don't know how to change my thoughts about food, ect?
  • IncredibleShrinkingSandy
    Options
    In my case, part of my depression was caused because I was obese. I wanted to change and be happier and it hit me that what made me the most depressed was my weight and how out of control I let it get. I also want to have a baby in the next 3 or years or there abouts and have always experienced menstrual and hormonal problems that worsened when I put the weight on. Then, there was the fact I was 29. (31 now so trust me, it's taken time. About a year and a half. I also still have 22 pounds to lose.) I knew that in my 30s and as I got older, weight loss would be harder. So, I researched weight loss success and discovered cico. I also knew that unless it was slow and progressive that would be what worked best for me. Jumping in full throttle would only overwhelm me and I would give up. So, I liked the idea of mfp since it lowered your calories automatically as you lost weight. Then, I started by just cutting out soda and back on fast food. (( apart from cheating on the weekends at that time)) Every 10 pounds I have chosen something else to cut back on, replace in my diet, or added more exercise. Now I rarely eat fast food, and work out 6 days a week for 40-60 minutes a day. When I started, I walked a mile a day and only did the cut backs mentioned above. The progressive route has worked for me because I see results and it keeps me motivated to push harder. I could have sped up the journey but, I am not perfect and have given into temptation and reverted back to old ways many a time. I refuse to give up because this is a lifestyle change and something I want and need. The closer I get the harder it gets to accomplish but I love the challenge and love being pleasantly surprised by what I accomplished and am capable of. I will always enjoy any food I want. I just have developed the ability to recognize when it's justified and when I just want a cheeseburger. Even a want is justified sometimes. As long as I didn't want a pizza the day before. So, my advice is to take it slow and don't give up.
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    In my case, part of my depression was caused because I was obese. I wanted to change and be happier and it hit me that what made me the most depressed was my weight and how out of control I let it get. I also want to have a baby in the next 3 or years or there abouts and have always experienced menstrual and hormonal problems that worsened when I put the weight on. Then, there was the fact I was 29. (31 now so trust me, it's taken time. About a year and a half. I also still have 22 pounds to lose.) I knew that in my 30s and as I got older, weight loss would be harder. So, I researched weight loss success and discovered cico. I also knew that unless it was slow and progressive that would be what worked best for me. Jumping in full throttle would only overwhelm me and I would give up. So, I liked the idea of mfp since it lowered your calories automatically as you lost weight. Then, I started by just cutting out soda and back on fast food. (( apart from cheating on the weekends at that time)) Every 10 pounds I have chosen something else to cut back on, replace in my diet, or added more exercise. Now I rarely eat fast food, and work out 6 days a week for 40-60 minutes a day. When I started, I walked a mile a day and only did the cut backs mentioned above. The progressive route has worked for me because I see results and it keeps me motivated to push harder. I could have sped up the journey but, I am not perfect and have given into temptation and reverted back to old ways many a time. I refuse to give up because this is a lifestyle change and something I want and need. The closer I get the harder it gets to accomplish but I love the challenge and love being pleasantly surprised by what I accomplished and am capable of. I will always enjoy any food I want. I just have developed the ability to recognize when it's justified and when I just want a cheeseburger. Even a want is justified sometimes. As long as I didn't want a pizza the day before. So, my advice is to take it slow and don't give up.

WOW! That is an excellent mindset right there! Congratulations on all your hard work and your smart method!

For myself, the one thing that impacted my success most was changing from a carb breakfast (toast) to a protein breakfast (eggs, bacon, kefir). The new breakfast has a little more calories than before, but I am waaay less hungry and less prone to cravings for the rest of the day with a protein breakfast, so I hit my daily caloric goals more easily.
  • FitEqualsSmile
    FitEqualsSmile Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You just have to be prepared to do it for yourself. You have to be ready to make the change. It is about making the big changes, nutritionally and physically. I have been down and up and down and up. This time it is not just driven by my weigh goals but cleaning my diet up has drastically helped my migraines. I changed my diet in the middle of November and have not had a migraine since and was having them 3 to 4 times a month in the years past so I think this will be a life change for me. I do not deprive myself but anything with sugars and processed foods are treats which occur monthly and not daily any longer. Water is my drink of choice and alcohol crosses the lips once or twice a month now. Do I miss it, yep. Is it worth it, yep. So to your original question...you have to do it for yourself!!!
    Remember, we can do anything. Surround yourself with the positive!!!
  • masdec7
    masdec7 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I've added lots of water and am working on completely cutting soda (even diet soda) from my diet. I am also staying away from donuts because they are very hard for me to have just one. Everything else, I am being sure to only eat a portion size. And whenever I can, I log my entire day's planned food first thing in the morning. That lets me know if I can have a treat later in the day if someone in my office brings something in. It also lets me know if I need to do extra exercise too!

Good luck! You can do it. It is all truly willpower. I've lost 15lbs since Jan. 1st.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I have been maintaining for a year now and this is also my second serious go-around on the weight loss train. This time, things are sticking because everything I have done has become a permanent lifestyle change. The main thing I did was ease myself into things. A lot of failure stems from people going gung-ho immediately and not being able to sustain things.

In January 2014, I started off by making simple substitutions. First, I cut from two teaspoons of sugar in one cup of coffee to one teaspoon and one packet of monk fruit. I slowly transitioned from sugar sweetened tea at home to tea sweetened only by monk fruit. Then I cut out bottled salad dressing and started spritzing my salad with olive oil, adding flavored vinegar, some seasoning and a little sprinkle of monk fruit or raw honey to cut the acidity of the vinegar. The salad dressing switch alone was HUGE in terms of healthy calories. I transitioned away from low fat milk to unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I just took my time making food swaps for a number of things and eating at a calorie deficit.

By April 2014, I joined a gym and spent a few months doing my own thing in terms of cardio and weight machines. I lost a few more pounds. In July 2014, I thoroughly invested in myself (by this time having the confidence to do so) and entered the world of personal training. It was then that my weight loss became a steady stream of results. Now, people can lose weight on their own, creating their own workout plans, and many do so successfully. However, I KNEW my limitations and knew that left to my own devices too long, I would start to slack off without proper motivation.

Early spring 2015, I hit my goal of 125. I thought that was it ... it was maintenance time. However, I continued to lose "doing my thing" until I got to 117-118 ... there, my body found its happy place. So I have been maintaining a range of 116-120 for a year now, fluctuating due to hormones and effects from my ulcerative colitis and proctitis inflammation.

Small changes can turn into a major lifestyle change. I didn't jump in but rather followed that old Aesop fable about the tortoise and the hare. Slow and steady wins the race ... time is going to pass by no matter what so why not do it right and take your time to ensure your efforts are going to stick. I am faithful about measuring and logging food and I have gotten better with estimating servings if I am away from home. I don't make excuses for myself and simply start anew if I screw up one day. I am still doing the personal trainer thing and for the first time, I have noticeable arm muscles; I am in a size 4 pants which I have NEVER worn before; I am getting stronger despite some nagging (non-critical, but ever present) body inflammation and I feel good after a session at the gym even though I don't like cardio.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!