120 lbs lost on MFP in just over 7 months

slapshotgolf
slapshotgolf Posts: 163 Member
What a month.

If I wasn't sure as to my resolution around my weight loss before today, now I have no doubts. Before this morning's weigh in at 258.2 lbs I had been stuck in the 260-270 lb range. I have now lost 121.8 lbs in just over 7 months since joining MFP on November 10th, 2010.

The start of summer, and its beer tempations, countless family celebrations, and probably some weight loss fatigue contributed to one of the slowest loss periods since I started this weight loss journey back in November.

Stuff I learned:

The "muscle weighs more than fat" factor finally caught up to me. I've been doing the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred (highly recommended for newbies to strength/cardio training). I can tell my body shape has benefitted, and I've had several compliments over my appearance - all while the scale failed to move much.

Nothing beats jogging when it comes to dropping pounds. I jogged less during the last month - and while my body needed a bit of a break from the constant pounding, less running contributed to a slower loss.

Eatling late is still a killer. I suspended my gym membership for the summer and invested in a set of Bowflex Selecttech Dumbells to assist with my home workouts. (Too nice outside to spend time on a treadmill, and I've been doing the 30 DS in my basement 4 or 5 times a week). Problem is, I'm now at home at night, and have found myself munching late at night, exceeding my calorie intake, at a time when I used to be at the gym working out. I need to go to bed earlier if I can't resist the temptation to munch.

Weight loss gets harder as you get closer to your target. This one I kind of knew going in - but I had grown spoiled with big losses - 30 lbs in the first month, then 20, then 15.....now I'm working hard to just lose the recommended 10 per month. No matter....this is not a race.

Overall, and this one is a biggie - I can lose weight without obsessing over it. Even though its taken me about 40 days to drop these last 10-11 lbs, who cares? I still lost weight. Yeah, I endulged in a few beers and BBQ's along the way, but that's ok. The key is that you don't let one bad day become 2 bad days, become a week and ultimately a failure. I'm pretty committed to this new lifestyle which includes responsible eating and exercise...I can't be stopped until I stop.

Good luck to all of you, and feel free to send me a friend request if you wish to view my diary and follow me the rest of my way (63 lbs to go!) Thanks to all my MFP friends who give me constant encouragement and hold me accountable to my goals every day!

SSG

Replies

• twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    You're such an inspiration!!! Love that you've accepted this journey and are committed to it for life!! You go!
  • k8bugz
    k8bugz Posts: 64 Member
    Good job!
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Amazing! Congrats on being a healthy you! I hope your family is proud!
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Wow.... great job... another inspiring story!!!! I'm sure you'll continue on with your success!!!!
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Thank you for posting!! You are an inspiration! Nice work!
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Congratulations on your accomplishments!!! Such an inspiration!:flowerforyou:
  • cjwolfjen
    cjwolfjen Posts: 323 Member
    Um, considering the average healthy weight loss is 4-5 lbs a month, you are doing amazing. Don't beat yourself up dude. You're awesome. Keep it up
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Congrats!! I'm in the last 11 pounds to hit my goal weight. My orgional goal was to be at my prewedding weight before our 12 yr annivesary this Dec. ( I already got there). So if I lose .5 a week ror 2.5 a week it doesn't matter, what matters is I am still losing, and this is a LIFESTYLE change, not a "diet". We will all get to our goals if we stick with it!
  • Thanks for the post, you are such an inspiration to us all, and I feel you on the gym thing for the summer, I also canceled my membership for the summer, so I can work on my goals for jogging!:)
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    The key is that you don't let one bad day become 2 bad days, become a week and ultimately a failure.

After 20 years of dieting, I finally learned this rule! it has made all the difference. Congrats to you on the amazing loss and more importantly you new healthy lifestyle. You have definitely seemed to learn the right lessons. These next 60lbs have no hope of defeating you!! :drinker:
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Brilliant: Very impressed.

1lb every 4 days is still a great rate of loss... As you get closer to your target 1lb a week is quite normal/good. Most importantly you are doing it the right way - i.e. still enjoying life.

Happy & Healthy is my motto - looks like you are hitting this head on!
  • Aaish
    Aaish Posts: 21 Member
    Wow it's so motivating to read success stories like yours ESP for newbies like me.... Thanks for all the tips you're doing great mate just keeping going:-) Cheers!!
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    You have done brilliantly. Good luck with the rest of your journey!
    I endulged in a few beers and BBQ's along the way, but that's ok. The key is that you don't let one bad day become 2 bad days, become a week and ultimately a failure.

This is something I also picked up this time around - after years of unsuccessful dieting - partially because life would get in the way, I'd overindulge, and then see an "up" number on the scales, be demotivated, eat more, and give up. It's so important for us to remember that, ok, we may go over one day by 500, 1000, heck, maybe even more than that - but is that really such a big number when we compare it to the thousands / tens of thousands, and for some of us (and definitely you, OP), hundreds of thousands of calories we've been making defecit since we started? It's a drop in the ocean :)
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member

Overall, and this one is a biggie - I can lose weight without obsessing over it. Even though its taken me about 40 days to drop these last 10-11 lbs, who cares? I still lost weight. Yeah, I endulged in a few beers and BBQ's along the way, but that's ok. The key is that you don't let one bad day become 2 bad days, become a week and ultimately a failure. I'm pretty committed to this new lifestyle which includes responsible eating and exercise...I can't be stopped until I stop.

I think this is the key. I have been doing some of this in the four months I have been working on changing my lifestyle too. It has probaby contributed to a few minor slowdowns, but it has also allowed me not to feel deprived and to be able to continue to enjoy my time with my friends and family. If we don't allow ourselves the opportunity to enjoy life then we will never be able to maintain past the "diet" Personally I don't want to live a life where I can't enjoy a good BBQ sometimes.

Congrats on your success and continued journey.:smile:
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    bump
  • bpdai
    bpdai Posts: 46 Member
    Congratulations, and thanks for posting this. Your success will undoubtedly contribute to mine. The sharing of thoughts, ideas and insprirations is what keeps me coming back to MFP. I like to harvest those little ideas that I think I can apply to my own struggle. Keep up the good work!
  • Fitzpoppa
    Fitzpoppa Posts: 66
    Very awesome post. I am stuck at the 260 mark and yo yo between 255 and 265 for the last few months. I'm gonna try the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and see what transpires. Thank you for sharing your story.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    PHENOMENAL WORK! Congrats on your success! YOU INSPIRE ME!
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Congrat, great job. In the same time you lost 120 pounds, I lose 14....just to let you know that the last few are hell to lose.
  • mzjandiace
    mzjandiace Posts: 162
    I love reading your post everyday!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!