Nordicwalking

Options
Does anyone try this activity.?

Replies

• lgay14
    lgay14 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it for about two years. When I first got my poles I was pretty much at goal weight. Over the first 6 weeks I lost an additional 4 lb. without changing anything else. Also I broke my leg last year and they were a great help when I started back walking. There is less stress on your joints. They are great for winter walking too.
  • cjburton5461
    cjburton5461 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for insight. I agree on less stress, knees and back for me. Found I walk straighter and faster. Although I get some strange looks from people, I really find it better for my body.
  • lgay14
    lgay14 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for insight. I agree on less stress, knees and back for me. Found I walk straighter and faster. Although I get some strange looks from people, I really find it better for my body.

Oh yes I get the looks too. And lots of questions, including "Hey, where are your skis". LOL! But really do enjoy the walking more and miss them when I am without them walking our big dog, Rigel. I try to get one good walk in daily with them and then the other walks are with Rigel.
  • fkwan
    fkwan Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Every day for nine years. Kept me away from hip surgery, helped me lose 34 pounds for the last time.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    I got my first set of poles when I lived in Germany. I did some online research and found out that your workout increases by about 24%. I LOVE my poles. I don't do as much walking as I used to (foot injury) but I climbed Mt. St. Helens last summer and they were a godsend. Keep it up and smile at the curious!! :)
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    fkwan wrote: »
    Every day for nine years. Kept me away from hip surgery, helped me lose 34 pounds for the last time.

Well, there's your proof!!!!
  • telynau
    telynau Posts: 16 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Nordic Walking is a lot of fun, especially answering passer-by questions ;-). I'm another one who has been using them for a long while. Glad to know there are a few of us on MFP.

Information for anyone else who's interested in Nordic Walking:

If you get poles that can be fitted with "boots" you can use the poles indoors, think mall or gymnasium walking. If you like beach combing, poles can be fitted with sand/snow baskets, too. Mine have a standard carbide tip; I keep the "boots" on year-round all terrain to protect asphalt, cobblestone, turf, etc. from pitting.

Personal Opinion... I prefer one-piece poles over 2-or-more piece adjustables. The 1-piece pole length is based on your height range. (Mine are too old to pull the centimeter length now to share, it's quite worn off.) They feel more "solid" on the push and don't have joinings to work loose or clank. It's completely a preference from using the different types.

Poles are moderate price range, usually between 80-USD and 120-USD. An investment item that lasts many years.

If you can walk, you can Nordic walk. It doesn't take special training or classes; they're nice if offered as part of the purchase. Hope this helps get others out there, poles in hands, heads held high.