How much do you eat?

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    By knowing people's stats (height, weight, age, goal weight, activity level, and if they are trying to lose, maintain or gain) would make this a more productive exercise.

I'm 41, 5'2, started at 153 with a goal of 125. I lost about 18 pounds in 6 months with a goal of 1 lb/week eating 1600-1800 cals (I have always eaten all my exercise cals back). After 6 months I got a FitBit, changed my goal to 0.5 lb/week and lost about 10 more pounds to reach my goal weight almost exactly one year after starting, I was eating 1800-1900 cals. I've lost about another 5 pounds and am in maintenance and eat 2000-2200 based on my FitBit calories burned. This has been working for 2 years.
    I don't believe in cheat days, I prefer to work the foods I want in on a regular basis.

OP you said if you ate your calorie allotment you wouldn't lose, are you tracking your calories accurately, using a food scale ideally? Usually it's not the goal that is the issue but a matter of underestimating calories in or overestimating calories burned through exercise.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Depending on my fitbit adjustment I eat between 1600 and 2500 calories a day. Most days are 23-2500. My goal is set to 1.5 pound loss a week. In the past two weeks I dropped about 8 pounds but a lot of that was water weight that I put on in January and February. According to trendweight I am currently losing 1.9 pounds a week. During the week I usually leave 2-400 calories in the green so that I have some cushion to eat more for my less active days off. If I am just really having a day and am hungry I eat all of my calories or even go into the red a little but try to keep it under maintenance.

I don't use the word cheat. I eat pretty much whatever I feel like eating and adjust the amount according to my calorie goal for the day.

• blancoms
    blancoms Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm 21. 5'2", currently 169lbs (SW 184 GW 130-)
    MFP gives me 1200 calories for 1.3 lbs loss a week (lowest/most loss their settings will go).
    I typically eat between 1100-1200. I mostly eat healthy and fresh, but I will have a little bit of ice cream or jello IF it fits in my calories. I don't go over, that will only make my weight loss take longer. I don't have cheat days or meals. I do go out (like ihop or red lobster) and study the menu at home beforehand and pick something that will work within my budget. Most of the time its so much food that I'm full the rest of the day (which is good cause red lobster took up my whole 1200!)
    I also have been exercising/cardio most days the last three weeks. Anywhere from 500 calories to 1500 calories burned. I wasn't eating them back at first, but I wasnt feeling great so I started eating back a few (no more than 200 for now).
    I lost 14 lbs is 4 weeks. But its starting to slow down to more realistic weight loss.
  • Cryren8972
    Cryren8972 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    welsh31 wrote: »
    1400 calories a day - 30 minute intense aerobics 3 days a week - hiking 2 days a week, 60 ounces of water a day. Haven't lost any weight in 6 weeks. Good to see what has been working for people.

I think I'd cry if that was me haha!
    What food do you eat x

I am not a big meat eater, so I eat tons of vegetables and small amounts of fruit. I do eat lots of fish though. I'm trying very hard to stay away from breads. I don't eat my extra calories that I earn from exercise. Maybe I should? I think I need a personal nutritionist! Ha :)

Try eliminating dairy. If you're not losing weight with this diet, it's possible that something is causing inflammation. Dairy is the main culprit.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1300 and 1500 calories. I walk between 30 and 60 minutes 5 days a week. I'm losing about 1lb per week. Lowest weight right now for 2 years. Goal weight is 30 lbs away or so.
  • Wii_Player
    Wii_Player Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I eat 1,470 per day and lose 1.5 - 2 pounds per week. When I first started, I weighed more, so my calories were higher. I lost 64 pounds since June 21, 2015. You need to fuel your body to lose weight, so if you eat way less than the recommended amount it may backfire on you.
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    My goal is 1610. Some days I'm over and some days I'm under. This week I lost 3 lbs but I usually lose 1 per week.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    MFP sets me to 1200, I usually eat between 1300-1400. I try to burn at least 200cals a day -not including my steps I'm 39y/o 5'2 159lbs, started at 220. I'm losing about a lb a week
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    5'4". I'm gaining weight right now but will start losing again once I hit 145. I'll probably eat around 1600 calories and lose .5 lbs per week. Unless I've gained enough to increase my TDEE. Doubtful though.
  • charlottemmarks
    charlottemmarks Posts: 61 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I haven't started working out regularly yet, so I'm only eating 1200(ish) calories. On days when I burn a significant amount of calories, I'll eat more. When I start burning a lot more regularly, I'll up the calorie count. I want to lose weight fast, but I don't want to be unhealthy about it, so I know 1200 calories isn't sustainable for me. But it's a hell of a jump start! Thus far, I've lost about 4 lbs in 5 days, all of which I'm sure is water weight.
  • Camish911
    Camish911 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I aim for between 1200-1400 with a workout. I do have the occasional cheat meal, but I adjust my food intake from the rest of the day to make up for it.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Current 30 day average: 1911 calories per day
    Losing approximately 0.7 lbs per week according to trendweight.com.

Stats:
    5'4.5"
    122.3 lbs (current trendweight)

28 day step avg : 9,070 steps per day

I took a break from the gym for a couple months and only started back last week. My typical routine though is:
    Lifting 3 x a week (stronglifts 5x5 currently)
    Running 2-3 x a week

When it's warmer out, family walks on the weekend are normal. I will also walk the boys to the park on nice days. The closest is about 1 mile away and their favorite is almost 3 miles away. I can actually eat more when the weather is nicer and still maintain the same rate of loss.

That said I'm going to be moving to maintaining soon. I've been in weight loss mode so long that it will be interesting and terrifying at the same time.
  • MiniNyoom
    MiniNyoom Posts: 12 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    5'2" and 120 lbs
    I try to eat 1200 a day but these days I lean more towards my 1600 maintenance
    I'd like to weigh 110, but I'm not sure if that's a goal I feel motivated enough to keep

I haven't lost any weight in quite some time.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    im 5 '1 - eat anywhere from 1400-1700. on average lose about a pound a week.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    6'1", currently 221 lbs.
    I eat 1760 calories...plus any exercise which is normally 400 or so additional calories.
    I am losing at about 2lbs per week....30 lbs down so far
  • Reecebullet
    Reecebullet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm 23, 5'10" and 214 lbs. MFP sets my calorie goal to 2030. I normally eat ~1400, and burn ~250 from exercise every day. If I'm ever hungry (which hasn't happened as of yet), I know I have some space I can use to have something to eat.
  • welsh31
    welsh31 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm 23, 5'10" and 214 lbs. MFP sets my calorie goal to 2030. I normally eat ~1400, and burn ~250 from exercise every day. If I'm ever hungry (which hasn't happened as of yet), I know I have some space I can use to have something to eat.

Howuch do you lose? X
  • roxymuller
    roxymuller Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1150 and 1200. What I have found to really help me is eating only Whole Grain bread, tortilla shells or even snacks. I have an underactive thyroid. I have a foot injury so I am not really able to exercise. I have lost 18 lbs since Jan 23/16 with no exercising.
    feel free to add me as a friend
  • gcaracciolo2
    gcaracciolo2 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    1850 calories a day and losing about 2 pounds a week. I work out 5 days a week for about an hour each session and have a cheat meal every 14 days.
  • welsh31
    welsh31 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    roxymuller wrote: »
    I eat between 1150 and 1200. What I have found to really help me is eating only Whole Grain bread, tortilla shells or even snacks. I have an underactive thyroid. I have a foot injury so I am not really able to exercise. I have lost 18 lbs since Jan 23/16 with no exercising.
    feel free to add me as a friend

Thank you x