Garmin vivoactive

Options
Does anyone else use a Garmin vivoactive? Do you like it? Does it work for you? What apps do you use with it? I like the way my current HRM works...time and calories burned. My husband got me the vivoactive and a garmin HRM chest strap to go with it....either I don't know what I'm doing or it f-ing sucks. Someone reassure me that I just don't know what I'm going.....please.

Replies

• gmoo150
    gmoo150 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have one. I'm certainly no expert but would be happy to try to answer any questions. I'm kind of a Garmin nut -- also have their scale and a Vivosmart HR.

I've learned the most by following the Garmin Forums -- you can read all the questions and answers from users on your specific device. Also, Garmin Support has FAQs that are very helpful.
  • adjones_21
    adjones_21 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Is there a app or anything that will just read my heart rate and calculate calories burned? Also...I'm having issues keeping my garmin HR chest strap connected to the watch. Very frustrating. My old HRM said my HR was 130 while my garmin vivoactive/garmin HRM said it was only 78. That's a huge difference.
  • gmoo150
    gmoo150 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you set the VA up with Garmin Express and Garmin Connect, you can access all the apps. It should be preloaded with some for general physical activity - walking indoors/out, running in/out, swimming, etc. When you complete an activity, the stats will show up in Garmin Connect, including distance, time, heart rate, and calories. You can also link to MFP, and the calories/exercise will sync.

I also use the Garmin HRM but haven't had any problems -- paired it once, and now it recognizes it each time. Heart rate has seemed to match both perceived exertion and whatever machine's grip HR I checked it on. You might check the Garmin Forums or send a note to Garmin Support -- sorry not to be more help.

When you get the kinks worked out, be sure to check out Garmin IQ (access either through Garmin Connect Mobile on your phone or Garmin Express on your computer) for new watch faces and apps and widgets. I use one that shows only my heart rate without recording an activity when I do weights -- working with a trainer and he likes to be sure we keep HR in a specific zone, but if I track it through an "activity," then it translates to more calories than I trust adding to my MFP total.

Not sure any of this is helpful. I actually played with all the features for several days before I felt like I "got it" and could achieve what I wanted quickly. Again, the Forums are definitely a gold mine of info.

Hope this helps, and that you end up loving your VA as much as I do mine!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I take it you're only wearing the HRM strap for exercise session but wearing the wrist band 24/7? It's primarily an activity tracker with the HRM as a bolt on feature and the HRM won't be accurate for everyday activities.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    adjones_21 wrote: »
    Is there a app or anything that will just read my heart rate and calculate calories burned? Also...I'm having issues keeping my garmin HR chest strap connected to the watch. Very frustrating. My old HRM said my HR was 130 while my garmin vivoactive/garmin HRM said it was only 78. That's a huge difference.

I've never had any problem with the ANT+, but a low or inconsistent reading from the HRM pod is generally an indicator of a low battery issue. That shouldn't be an issue for you, but if there is a risk it's been held in stock for a while it might be.

With respect to comparing the two HRMs, do you mean you were wearing both straps at once, or are you comparing a previous time doing the same thing?

• alicetl4
    alicetl4 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi i have the vivoactive and although I love it, its taken me 3 months to get used to the display screens and how to change them, its not easy to explain and i've got used to it just by going through all the buttons and exploring it! Not very helpful i know, and to be honest use it for more reflective analysis as the data so much easier to look at on your phone and/or lap top when I've returned from my runs/walks.
  • adjones_21
    adjones_21 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    My old HRM is just watch no chest strap. Yes I only wear the chest strap for workouts. I manually checked my heart rate yesterday while working out and then took off my chest strap and VA and put my old HRM on and the old HRM was more accurate than the garmin chest strap. It was my first time to actually workout with it. I had just gotten it. I guess I could check the battery. I want to love my VA...maybe I just haven learned it yet. May have to hire geek squad to teach me or something...lol