Question for the experts out there.

Options
Hello guys. I'm new to eating healthy and exercising and I would like to incorporate strength training as well as cardio. I know that in order to gain muscle your body needs to be in a caloric surplus and protein needs must be met. So my question is what results will I get if I strength train, do cardio and eat at a caloric deficit? I'm currently eating under (1650 calories a day) I'm 23, 5'10, 200lbs

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Minimize LBM loss
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    It's not an absolute truth that you can't build any muscle in a deficit. You can build some, but it's always going to be less and slower than if you were in a surplus, and you won't be able to reach your body's full genetic potential for muscle, eventually you'd hit a ceiling where you couldn't progress more without reducing the deficit or generating a surplus, but most people can build some.

Particularly if you're new to strength training, you can still see gains early on. Regardless of whether you gain or maintain, you're always better off doing the strength training.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    If you are just starting out with training then you will gain some muscle. If you are lifting, getting adequate protein and eating at a deficit you will lose mostly fat (rather than fat and muscle).
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    It's not an absolute truth that you can't build any muscle in a deficit. You can build some, but it's always going to be less and slower than if you were in a surplus, and you won't be able to reach your body's full genetic potential for muscle, eventually you'd hit a ceiling where you couldn't progress more without reducing the deficit or generating a surplus, but most people can build some.

Particularly if you're new to strength training, you can still see gains early on. Regardless of whether you gain or maintain, you're always better off doing the strength training.

So is it true you can maintain muscle by starting a weight program while in a deficit? I found that I'm not as weak as I thought I was when I started weight training and I have been losing 1-2 pounds a week, hopefully not much muscle.
  • GeorgePahalan
    GeorgePahalan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Minimize LBM loss

What does that mean?
  • GeorgePahalan
    GeorgePahalan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys. Just don't wanna look frail while losing fat
  • rankinsect
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »

So is it true you can maintain muscle by starting a weight program while in a deficit? I found that I'm not as weak as I thought I was when I started weight training and I have been losing 1-2 pounds a week, hopefully not much muscle.

If the weight program is effective, yes, you can maintain or potentially even gain new muscle while in a deficit. The best time to start strength training is five years ago. The next best time to start strength training is today.

There really is no time where you wouldn't gain some benefit from strength training - even in a deficit, it's going to leave you with greater musculature than you would have if you lost the same fat without doing strength training.

Your body has many factors that promote muscle gain, and others that promote muscle loss. Your actual change in muscle is the combination of all of those factors. Any incremental change you make to promote gain will give you some benefit compared to not making that change.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    1650 isn't enough calories.
  • rankinsect
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys. Just don't wanna look frail while losing fat

You might want to up the calories a bit more, unless you're really sedentary. You'll lose fat slower but end up with better musculature. 1650 is a bit low. I'm shorter than you and a decade older, and I'm planning on staying at an average of 1900 all the way to my goal weight.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    You will preserve muscle ! While eating at a deficit we lose some muscle along with fat. Because you will be lifting and hitting your macros, you will be preserving muscle. You will thank yourself later on for beginning a program now.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »

If the weight program is effective, yes, you can maintain or potentially even gain new muscle while in a deficit. The best time to start strength training is five years ago. The next best time to start strength training is today.

There really is no time where you wouldn't gain some benefit from strength training - even in a deficit, it's going to leave you with greater musculature than you would have if you lost the same fat without doing strength training.

Your body has many factors that promote muscle gain, and others that promote muscle loss. Your actual change in muscle is the combination of all of those factors. Any incremental change you make to promote gain will give you some benefit compared to not making that change.

Thanks, but in my case I should have kept doing what I was doing starting 40 years ago. Now, I'm just trying to make my "golden" years truly golden. That being said, I'm here for the duration and want to feel and look the best that I can for my remaining years whether it's 5 or 25. I wish I could just shake all the young people on here and stress the importance of making lifelong changes, not just temporary fixes. Thank you again for your input.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Minimize LBM loss

What does that mean?

LBM=lean body mass
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You will get stronger! I have.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Minimize LBM loss

This. Plus get fitter and stronger, and get to lose while eating more.

Sounds great, right! I think it's an excellent plan.

Plus, as a young overweight male new to lifting, you have a decent chance of even gaining some muscle! (Although I agree that 1650 is likely too low and hurting your chance of this.)
  • jsidogen
    jsidogen Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Since you are new to strength training, you will most likely see added muscle mass in addition to fat loss(given you are on a good diet protocol) I also agree with those who said that 1650 is a little low to start off with, given your stats and that you are still young so your metabolism should be optimal or close to. My advice is to count your macros and start off at 2000 calories. Weigh yourself everyday (under similar conditions each time, like upon waking up and using the restroom, which I do) average out your weight after a week, if higher than initial weight then decrease calories ever so slightly and vice versa. Losing too much weight, too fast can definitely hurt your progress.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    jsidogen wrote: »
    Since you are new to strength training, you will most likely see added muscle mass in addition to fat loss(given you are on a good diet protocol) I also agree with those who said that 1650 is a little low to start off with, given your stats and that you are still young so your metabolism should be optimal or close to. My advice is to count your macros and start off at 2000 calories. Weigh yourself everyday (under similar conditions each time, like upon waking up and using the restroom, which I do) average out your weight after a week, if higher than initial weight then decrease calories ever so slightly and vice versa. Losing too much weight, too fast can definitely hurt your progress.

Most of this is good. But a week isn't anywhere near enough to judge progress. You need to give it more like 6-8 weeks. Some people lose every week pretty consistently, others, like me, lose in fits and starts and can go several weeks with no scale loss but the overall trend is down at the desired rate.