exercise for hourglass shape

Options
2»

Replies

• sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    As someone who likes drawing people and studied a bit of human anatomy to aid in this drawing - some of it can be changed with weight loss and body building. But a lot of it boils down to the shape/proportions of your skeleton which is, as others said, not changeable.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    trjjoy wrote: »
    Body shapes are a myth. Our bodies aren't designed to carry extra weight on our bottom half, eg, which is what the so-called pear shape is. I used to think I am a pear shape, but after an 8kg weight loss, I realise my hips are much narrower than what I thought.

You're absolutely right. We are all the same shape with the same proportions. All 7 billion of us.

I for instance am the same shape as ninerbuff

:bigsmile:
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Also Elle McPherson

And Helen Mirren

And Audrey Hepburn

Peas in a pod
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    izabella73 wrote: »
    hi:) can you recomend any special exercise to help ahieve hourgass shape?

You won't change your genetics but look at Brett Contreras Strong Curves
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    Body shapes are a myth. Our bodies aren't designed to carry extra weight on our bottom half, eg, which is what the so-called pear shape is. I used to think I am a pear shape, but after an 8kg weight loss, I realise my hips are much narrower than what I thought.

You're absolutely right. We are all the same shape with the same proportions. All 7 billion of us.

I for instance am the same shape as ninerbuff

:bigsmile:

And I have been mistaken for both Danny Devito and Larry Bird. Plus sometimes Sofia Vergara but that's usually when I wear my hair down.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

You are welcome to share that 'not built to carry weight on the bottom half' insight with my lower body, because even at BMI 17 my hips remained 1-2 sizes larger than my skinny waist and bony shoulders.

Losing a bit of body fat and focusing on resistance training to help build a bit of muscle below the waist did wonders for how I perceived my pear shape, OP. Trying to make my body as healthy and fit as it could be took away a lot of the feelings of inadequacy and I can now honestly say I'm proud of my proportionately big thighs.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Somatotypes are a myth. Genetic differences in body shapes are an entirely different and very real thing.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I'm slightly more pear than hourglass, and I've found building shoulders (deltoids, specifically) pretty effective for making me visually look more like an hourglass. Chest and back are good, too, but shoulders are great.
  • MNJ439
    MNJ439 Posts: 3 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    What about for the look of your breasts? Can't all be about dat butt.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Somatotypes are a myth. Genetic differences in body shapes are an entirely different and very real thing.

This
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I get that shape is pretty much genetic but I do have to say that building bigger shoulders and doing a lot of heavy high bar and front squats to build my butt and quads did make my more brick shape "appear" more hourglass. I always tried to get my waist smaller but eventually I learned I was more successful at making my shoulders bigger. That being said, I pack on muscle easily, which is also genetic, so while that worked for me, it wouldn't necessarily work for everyone.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options

You are hilarious. If we would all just lose weight, we would all look like clones with our same size body frame & shape.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

@trijoy
    I was hourglass - as in chest and hips same size and more than 10 inch difference between my waist. Then I lost weight and my top half was smaller than my hips. So I used to think I was hourglass then I lost weight and turns out I'm a pear.

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options

I don't know whether it's a myth, entirely. I have always had a much larger waist than I should have as proportionate to my bust and hips. When larger, that means an apple, basically. When smaller, a "rectangle." Same principle and nothing at all changes it. Not diet. Not aerobic exercise. Not weight-bearing exercise. Not weight training.

When I was in high school, weighed 98 lbs., walked miles every day and then went home and did strength training (floor/calisthenics and then weights), I had a 28" waist. That was hardly bigger than my bust and hips...31" for each.

And now, as a gigantic fatty who ISN'T in shape with good muscle tone, the difference between my waist and bust and the difference between my waist and hips is still very minimal.

It is what it is. :)
  • izabella73
    izabella73 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    people you are all so awesome and helpful here, I`m 43 starts to eat with calorie def. trying to lift and exercises.. very hard going as I feel very tired.. I`m trying to be on keto diet.. Want to desperately get rid of that tire around me.. I`m working in very cold flower shop in Ireland.. most of the day standing at one point. (sounds ridiculous but true) coming home at evening- wrecked and frozen inside.. Mey be I should find another work:)
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    You can dress to enhance your figure, a wide belt bringing you in at the waist should make you appear more hourglass.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    izabella73 wrote: »
    people you are all so awesome and helpful here, I`m 43 starts to eat with calorie def. trying to lift and exercises.. very hard going as I feel very tired.. I`m trying to be on keto diet.. Want to desperately get rid of that tire around me.. I`m working in very cold flower shop in Ireland.. most of the day standing at one point. (sounds ridiculous but true) coming home at evening- wrecked and frozen inside.. Mey be I should find another work:)

Or buy a jumper? :laugh:
  • Bonnieontrack
    Bonnieontrack Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Where I previously worked, we had different women proportions all around, quite unique. One was very curvy, one slim head to toe (boyish body), one short but cute, one very overweight and one just regular standard woman who cannot change their body type. We had a common ground of just being happy and having fun, supporting each other as friends. Clothes help to enhance your best assets. Models wear what flatters their body type. Color and fashion will work. A new hairstyle will make you feel better too. Be the best you can be. Each of us has so much to give. Embrace it and you will be so happy. I am heading back down on the scale. Feeling better at each weigh in. Life throws punches, I just have to get back in the game and take care of me. I spent my life taking care of others. Now I need to focus on me. Good luck, you are strong and will do well......