exercise for hourglass shape

Options
hi:) can you recomend any special exercise to help ahieve hourgass shape?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce nor change your shape. The best thing to do is to remove the layers of fat and see what is under them. You may have an hour glass shape

Eat less, move more and add a progressive lifting program. You can do this!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    It's genetic. Get to your goal weight and discover your shape.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Nope
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    There is something that comes to mind, when women talk about getting hourglass shapes in this fashion, but it was, and is still, neither safe nor healthy. ::winces, as if in pain, at the thought:: And it's not exactly an exercise but there is some sort of training involved.
  • izabella73
    izabella73 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    thanks girls :) I gues I need to be stronger and more patient :X
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    If only...
  • harieta
    harieta Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Actually, I think there might be a way to achieve this - strength training. It can help you get nice hips and thighs with curves in all the right places, it flattens your stomach and you get a wide, muscular upper back, giving you the illusion of a smaller waist.
    If you do a proper training program, it should be safe and with proper nutrition, adapted to your goals, the curves you get should be mainly muscles so it should be healthy too.
    This will need lost of time, hard work and dedication, but if this is your dream, don't give up!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Eh, you can optimize your overall look with strength training but a ruler isn't going to turn into an hourglass with it.

Hip and thigh curves -- training can help you have strong and smooth looking hips/thighs. Building muscle will come down to eating more but even then you're not necessarily going to be physically wider when faced head on, to help create an actual hourglass. My hip measurement has increased 1.5" thanks to training but it's all out the back, not side to side across the front, due to how my body distributes fat.

Flat stomach - hello fat loss

Wide back -yes, can be bu I let with training and proper nutrition. Not sure of limits due to one's natural body shape (are pear shaped women apt to build their backs as well as other women, given equivalent nutrition/training?)
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Strength training will get you there. If you are concerned about the waist, do exercises that target the obliques.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Body shape is genetic. But lose fat and see. You may be very pleased. Strength training helps reduce fat while retaining muscle. But you MUST eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight or fat. It takes time, so be patient.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Nachise wrote: »
    Strength training will get you there. If you are concerned about the waist, do exercises that target the obliques.
    You'll get more fit and conditioned, but exercising an area won't change one's natural shape. If their body is pear shaped, it's still going to be pear shaped regardless of targeting areas.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    You can only enhance the shape you currently have. If you don't have an hourglass figure, then barring surgery, you're not going to have one by exercising or workouts that help to "target" it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • anitamlang
    anitamlang Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What if you have been strength training for 4 year (Do Body Pump 3 days a week) and cycle class and cannot get rid of the new "Tire" that has appeared due to menopause at 38yrs old!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Have you been eating at a calorie deficit? No matter how much exercise you do, if you are not eating at a calorie deficit you will not lose weight. I am 55 and menopausal and lose weight steadily if I am eating at a deficit...even around my middle.
  • jemhh
    Options
    anitamlang wrote: »
    What if you have been strength training for 4 year (Do Body Pump 3 days a week) and cycle class and cannot get rid of the new "Tire" that has appeared due to menopause at 38yrs old!

Cut your calories. Your tire is made of fat. Fat doesn't appear out of nowhere. Your body needed the building blocks to make it and those building blocks were excess calories. To get rid of it you need to give your body fewer calories so that it turns to your fat storage for its energy needs.

You don't gain weight directly due to menopause. It is possible that your body's energy needs decreased due to menopause, though, and continuing to give it pre-menopausal levels of energy (food) is what caused fat gain.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Body shapes are a myth. Our bodies aren't designed to carry extra weight on our bottom half, eg, which is what the so-called pear shape is. I used to think I am a pear shape, but after an 8kg weight loss, I realise my hips are much narrower than what I thought.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    manage your calories and lift weights.. You will love the change!
  • jemhh
    Options
    trjjoy wrote: »
    Body shapes are a myth. Our bodies aren't designed to carry extra weight on our bottom half, eg, which is what the so-called pear shape is. I used to think I am a pear shape, but after an 8kg weight loss, I realise my hips are much narrower than what I thought.

You're absolutely right. We are all the same shape with the same proportions. All 7 billion of us.
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    You cannot spot reduce nor change your shape. The best thing to do is to remove the layers of fat and see what is under them. You may have an hour glass shape

Eat less, move more and add a progressive lifting program. You can do this!

^This.
    whmscll wrote: »
    Body shape is genetic. But lose fat and see. You may be very pleased. Strength training helps reduce fat while retaining muscle. But you MUST eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight or fat. It takes time, so be patient.

^This.

You can stop reading now. They got you covered.
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Pocahontas-dirty-inappropriate-meme-twerking.jpg