12-hr shifts

Options
nomoyoyoing
nomoyoyoing Posts: 159 Member
edited February 2016 in Food and Nutrition
For those of you who take your food for you 12-hour shifts and stay within moderate calories, what does a typical day of breakfast, lunch, and dinner look like for you..if you don't mind sharing. I struggle with this because I get up so early and get home a couple hours after 'dinnertime'. Thanks in advance

Replies

• tooru
    tooru Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I commute to work and work about 9/10 hour shifts, but to keep me full and going for the day I do this;
    (I know it's not particularly early starts for me, but just shift the hours because I always get home pretty late)

Breakfast (around 10/11am): a healthy,natural peanut butter on a bagel with some chia and milled flax seeds (around 300-350 cals).

Lunch (around 2/3pm): a small pack of healthy chicken fillets and some kind of rice/pasta pot from Uncle Bens (around 400 cals).

Snack (around 5/6pm): Some nuts or pea snaps and a piece of fruit (100-200 cals).

Dinner (around 8/9pm): a good sized portion of green veges with couscous or ravioli. This meal I eat at home so it can be anything really (about 300/400 cals)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat more on the 12 hour shifts and less on the days that you are off.
    That way you can do a weekly average.
  • nomoyoyoing
    Options
    Thanks! I guess I need to be more clever in how I pack my lunch and dinner. I don't want to keep resorting to the cafeteria, which is how I have gained weight in the first place.
  • Jenna8915
    Jenna8915 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I work 12 hour shifts, a mix of days and nights. On days...
    Breakfast: banana + 2 boiled eggs
    Lunch: pre-cooked jacket potato with cheese + a 120g tin of tuna with 1tbsp of super light mayo
    Afternoon snack: apple, satsuma, individually-packaged cheeses (babybell/dairylea) or greek yogurt.
    Dinner: cooked by my husband and eaten at home at around 8-9pm.

For nights, i exercise to earn a few extra calories, may skip breakfast and eat my afternoon snacks as evening/overnight snacks instead.
  • nomoyoyoing
    Options
    Jenna8915 wrote: »
    I work 12 hour shifts, a mix of days and nights. On days...
    Breakfast: banana + 2 boiled eggs
    Lunch: pre-cooked jacket potato with cheese + a 120g tin of tuna with 1tbsp of super light mayo
    Afternoon snack: apple, satsuma, individually-packaged cheeses (babybell/dairylea) or greek yogurt.
    Dinner: cooked by my husband and eaten at home at around 8-9pm.

For nights, i exercise to earn a few extra calories, may skip breakfast and eat my afternoon snacks as evening/overnight snacks instead.

That's helpful - thank you!!
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I work 12's. If I kno I'm doing three in a row I prep my work food all at once and eat the same thing for three days. I eat an egg and veggies for breakfast. Then I eat every four hours at work. I a meat, carb and veggie for dinner, oatmeal and fruit for brunch, and a yogurt sundae in between. I usually have 200 calories for a snack around 8 pm when I get home. I pack some raw veggies and water for the car ride because I am usually quite hungry. I also have a big thermos of tea with soy milk and sometimes stevia pop.