Ants....

Options
SMarie10
SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
I thought the Food topic would be a fine place to ask this question. I have ants roaming my kitchen counter. They are driving me buggy (pun intended). Do any of the MFP folks have a nice - non-toxic way to get rid of them or hold them at bay. It's been really rainy and wet here lately, but I've never before had this many ants, and they are grossing me out.

Replies

• robintellez
    Options
    Supposedly Windex. Not sure if that is as non-toxic as you want, but it beats ant-killer spray.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I thought the Food topic would be a fine place to ask this question. I have ants roaming my kitchen counter. They are driving me buggy (pun intended). Do any of the MFP folks have a nice - non-toxic way to get rid of them or hold them at bay. It's been really rainy and wet here lately, but I've never before had this many ants, and they are grossing me out.

Liquid ant baits. Awesome stuff.
  • Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Terro ant killer is the shiz at getting rid of ants. I picked up a 9-pack at hardware store for $3.99. Ants were gone within 3 days. This stuff is the only thing that works for me...I get the ants every spring.

http://www.terro.com/
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I've heard sprinkling cinnamon or cayenne pepper.
  • nikkijean8
    nikkijean8 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I dealt with a lot of ants in my house last year! :) Ant traps work pretty well if you're not worried about a pet or child getting into them. If you can find the place that they're getting in (a window sill or something), sprinkle a line of baby powder or cinnamon in front of it - they won't cross it. That worked fairly well for me, but eventually they came back. Finally, found a product called "Ecosmart" (I had both a dog and a 1 year old crawling around on my floors so I didn't want to use chemicals) - it worked REALLY well at killing them and made my house smell good too! :) It's all various oils and stuff - nothing toxic to us. I found that it worked best if I sprayed it on the ants, then left it for a while before cleaning it up (I'd clean up the ants, just leave the spray down for a little while). Peppermint oil is supposed to work too, btw, but I didn't try that. Good luck - they're a pain in the butt to get rid of sometimes.
  • rider72
    rider72 Posts: 119
    Options
    Terro ant killer is the shiz at getting rid of ants. I picked up a 9-pack at hardware store for $3.99. Ants were gone within 3 days. This stuff is the only thing that works for me...I get the ants every spring.

http://www.terro.com/

Totally agree! I used to own a hardware store, and that was the best product we carried. Bye bye ants......
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Ants are full of protein. Eat them.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice... Those ants don't stand a chance, and no Schwiggity, I'm not going to make them part of my calories.
  • phenrichs
    phenrichs Posts: 102
    Options
    Terro is the best to get them on the counter. BUT you have to prevent them from coming in.

I use a product called Tempo. You mix it in a handheld weed sprayer. Spray around the windows and doors and spray on the foundation outside. Spray in the basement. It is only harmful wet. Once it is dry it is totally safe.
  • Chilliaddict
    Chilliaddict Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Haha no it's the good old ant killer powder for me