paleo diet for those who binge(d)? also paleo+running?

2»

Replies

• samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member

If you're absolutely impossible to control with binge eating, maybe you should cut out all the crappy food so you start to forget what it tastes like. I really enjoy donuts but it's been so long since I've had one, I don't even remember what they taste like anymore. Now I don't miss them. It could work for you. Best of luck.

That's what I'm aiming for, and I know people who went to OA and took that mentality, and it's worked for them. I've done the "all things in moderation" eating, and it has worked for me, but I still can't break the binge and shame cycle, and it's not because I have an overly restrictive diet (quite the opposite). I obviously have some emotional/mental things to work on, but I think I need to adopt the same mindset an alcoholic would (i.e. there is no "well I can drink in moderation!")

I also did this - I always ate pasta and bread - whole wheat of course --- but realized I had to cut those out to get the results I wanted. It was very hard at first, but after a week or 2 you don't crave them anymore and when you do its only slight -- not where you are going to have to make it and eat it alll feeling. I no longer crave much sugar or anything really besides meat and veggies and cheese
    and I was a vegetarian 1 month ago! it really has changed everything!!!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    I believe the biggest change you can make is to just cut the processed food out. My new man is on Paleo and I'm a vegetarian...yet neither of us have had any issues when it comes to athletic preformance. In fact he dropped close to 30 pounds while on it...I'm maintaining where I am at, still trying to lean out a bit though.

Treat yourself every once in a while to something totally sinful such as a donut...and trust me...you'll eat a bite or two of it and go wtf? Too sweet, to fake tasting, and you'll want to spit it out.

I still have a sweet tooth and love salty snacks. I tend to go for a 90% dark cocoa bar (Lindt has a great one) or air popped popcon (which isn't allowed on Paleo...but that's not my thing, lol).

Do some research...read all the books by Loren Cordain and Robb Wolf. If you just want to stick with 'clean eating' read as much as you can by Tosca Reno.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member

Treat yourself every once in a while to something totally sinful such as a donut...and trust me...you'll eat a bite or two of it and go wtf? Too sweet, to fake tasting, and you'll want to spit it out.

I know a lot of people try to say this, and actually I do eat very clean when I'm not relapsing into a binge, but I'm never going to eat something like a donut and hate it. It's not how I'm wired.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member

I know a lot of people try to say this, and actually I do eat very clean when I'm not relapsing into a binge, but I'm never going to eat something like a donut and hate it. It's not how I'm wired.

I binge on occasion (I'm a former Ana/Mia)...and it's almost always on very junky food. It goes on for a day or so and then I feel so damn sick that I won't touch the stuff for at least another 2-3 months.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member

Me too. I'd be face first in to a dozen or three in no time.
    I have to abstain from my triggers. It's just how it is.
    Eating fairly clean and low carb has helped me avoid food triggered binges. I'm not dealing with food cravings any more like when I had the grains/legumes/honey etc in my diet. Once that was gone, I thought I was home free but ...

Now I'm dealing with sh*tty-thoughts-binges.
    I'm working on the "just say no" approach until it becomes second nature to default to only healthy eating and find other methods to deal with the garbage in my head.
    Practice, practice, practice.
    No, No, No.

You've done extraordinarily well! Congratulations!

btw ... I'm reading The End of Overeating by David Kessler and finding some ideas in the Food Rehab section to help me overcome my bingeing.
    Maybe you could pick it up at the library to see if there's anything in there for you.
  • Schwiggity
    If someone who's been doing paleo/primal can take a look at my food thus far for tomorrow, I'd appreciate it. I usually plan dinner the afternoon of.
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    I don't do paleo.

But I just learned from reading Eat to Live about how a lot of the foods we eat, once the foods are digested, we start feeling kind of lousy and want more food so we stop feeling lousy. Eating 90% plant-based foods, the cycle is broken and we won't feel that way. I've only been doing this since last Friday, but I think it all makes sense.

Rather than us trying to resolve the damage, we might fix the cause.
    Very interesting. I was just thinking about this today (the fact that certain foods make you feel crappy and want to eaat more crap.) Makes sense.
  • Schwiggity
    bump
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    bump
  • corimac
    corimac Posts: 30 Member
    Bump
  • corimac
    corimac Posts: 30 Member
    Bump
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member

If you're absolutely impossible to control with binge eating, maybe you should cut out all the crappy food so you start to forget what it tastes like. I really enjoy donuts but it's been so long since I've had one, I don't even remember what they taste like anymore. Now I don't miss them. It could work for you. Best of luck.

Great idea not just for runners but for everyone.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Since you can get a lot of great complex carbs from veggies (especially potatoes & yams), and simple sugars from fruits, I don't see why it should be a problem eating a paleo diet for running.

Paleo diet says no potatoes, dairy, beans, or lentils from what I'm reading.

Sweet potatoes are not potatoes, you could up your carbs with those if you're running alot and need more carbs.
  • FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    Paleo = no dairy, beans, potatoes, corn, lentils, grains
    Primal = all the above but allows full fat dairy

Both advocate clean eating and both allow sweet potatoes, Vegs, fruit, nuts, eggs, etc

Check out Marksdailyapple.com. mark sisson was a marathoner and gives a ton of free info on his site. To lose weight keep carbs below 100 and eat .7-1 g of protein per lean body mass weight. Fill in the rest of your calories with healthy fats! I dont crave or binge on carbs anymore. It was an addiction for me that I m in recovery from now: )

Add me if you'd like!
    THIS!
  • Twinsytoo
    Twinsytoo Posts: 77 Member
    bump
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member

I can't ever allow myself to have a bite of something I tend to binge on. I think many people who recommend the "moderation" approach, never seriously struggled with binging hardcore. For me, one bite of a cookie leads to about 30 more cookies, then a pie, then a cake and pizza and more. It's far far far easier and safer to not allow any.

I don't do low carb for reducing fat any more, I do it to reduce binge-like cravings. If you can have just a little doughnuts or whatever - freaking awesome, but I can't.

I find even fruit and other "healthy" super sweet stuff tends to get my hormones lined up in a way that leads me down the short road to a heavy 3-4 day binge. It's much safer for me to stay away. I typically put down 10-14 thousand calories in a single binge day - and usually 3-4 days are strung together before I can snap out of it. It gets ugly.

Not all paleo people are low carb/keto - (although I am cyclical keto myeself) but for pretty easy fat loss, it seems to be the quickest way to go.

Just what works for me for what it's worth.
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Also - buy Robb Wolf's book The Paleo Solution. It's filled with good science and plenty of detail to go along with it. I like Mark Sisson's book, but find it a bit light on the science and heavy on the speculation for my tastes.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    I can't ever allow myself to have a bite of something I tend to binge on. I think many people who recommend the "moderation" approach, never seriously struggled with binging hardcore. For me, one bite of a cookie leads to about 30 more cookies, then a pie, then a cake and pizza and more. It's far far far easier and safer to not allow any.

I don't do low carb for reducing fat any more, I do it to reduce binge-like cravings. If you can have just a little doughnuts or whatever - freaking awesome, but I can't.

I find even fruit and other "healthy" super sweet stuff tends to get my hormones lined up in a way that leads me down the short road to a heavy 3-4 day binge. It's much safer for me to stay away. I typically put down 10-14 thousand calories in a single binge day - and usually 3-4 days are strung together before I can snap out of it. It gets ugly.

Not all paleo people are low carb/keto - (although I am cyclical keto myeself) but for pretty easy fat loss, it seems to be the quickest way to go.

Just what works for me for what it's worth.

This is me exactly.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Diary looks ok but from the reading I have done primal generally suggests that you limit the fruit a bit if you want to lose weight. 1-2 servings max. WHen you are in maintenance phase, bring them back in in larger quantities if you wish.

Check my diary if you want. Primal not paleo.

Agree on the sugar thing. I did have a few M&M's yesterday. Not required. Bought some 85% dark choc instead :)

I've only been doing primal for 1.5 weeks so far and my diet was pretty clean before anyway so can't really say I noticed a massive change in energy, sleep or workout performance (injured so difficult anyway). Actually the only thing I really changed was cutting out oats and beans. Has dropped carbs a fair bit for me but slightly higher fat intake made up for the cal difference.
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    Also - buy Robb Wolf's book The Paleo Solution. It's filled with good science and plenty of detail to go along with it. I like Mark Sisson's book, but find it a bit light on the science and heavy on the speculation for my tastes.

I haven't read the book but I'm curious about what science is being presented. Obviously it's science against grain/dairy intake but what is it based on? Yes, obesity rates have climbed since the onset of agriculture but the argument of correlation as opposed to causation can be used there.

Also, is it true that Robb Wolf is against a lot of fruit intake? Like I said, I haven't read the book so I don't know. I'm just wondering if he's pro-Paleo or anti-carb because they're both quite different.
This discussion has been closed.