Best thing to eat to feel full?

Options
I'm on 1360 cals a day to lose 1lb a week but I'm struggling and haven't lost anything yet. I have done this before, I lost over 50lbs but at the time I didn't have a job. I now have a job where I'm on my feet for about 10 hours a day so when I get home I just want to eat everything in sight. Is there anything I can eat for lunch that will keep me full but that isn't full of calories? Or are there any safe supplements I can take?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Fiber, tons of veggies. I mean tons-I eat 400grams of zucchini/squash in one sitting. For lunch it's an entire bag of lettuce mix with a can of tuna in water, hot sauce and a laughing cow cheese. 200 something calories keeps me full most of the day, and that's without eating breakfast.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    If supplements really worked for weight loss then why would there be millions of us on here counting calories? Why would we have to bother learning moderation, portion control and self control when we could just pop pills all day ? Its because they dont work. So don't waste your time or money .

I would start by making sure your logging is tight. Be sure that your weighing all your foods. No guessing or eyeballing portions. I haven't looked at your diary so have no idea if this applies to you or not.

For filling foods, I personally like rice . I make a big batch of rice and toss in tons of veggies. Use whatever you have in hand or in the freezer. I like rice ,cauliflower, broccoli, carrots personally. You can add in a can of beans or chicken to add some protein in there if you'd like
    . you can season it many different ways. I like it plain with a little butter or oil.
    The rice and veggies keeps me full for a while. You can make up a big batch and freeze individual servings to have for lunch throughout the week.

Another one that keeps me full is oatmeal and toast. I bring a packet of oats and 2slices of bread for lunch often and it only takes a minute to prepare. It keeps me full for a while.

Play around with the foods you like until you find a combination that works best for you.

• wonderchu
    wonderchu Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have always struggled with feeling full but lately I've found a big bowl of porridge made with skimmed milk to be very satisfying.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I loved riced cauliflower. I buy mine at Trader Joe's. It's cauliflower cooked and frozen--chopped up tiny like rice. It's great for adding volume and fiber to meals. I use it to (at least) halve my quinoa/rice/shredded potatoes or just use it to add some nutrients, fiber and texture with minimal calories--often to egg whites. Or, like this morning, with spinach under my chicken!
  • dawnellemom
    dawnellemom Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    I loved riced cauliflower. I buy mine at Trader Joe's. It's cauliflower cooked and frozen--chopped up tiny like rice. It's great for adding volume and fiber to meals. I use it to (at least) halve my quinoa/rice/shredded potatoes or just use it to add some nutrients, fiber and texture with minimal calories--often to egg whites. Or, like this morning, with spinach under my chicken!

I love the riced cauliflower too. Yesterday I made it with a little leftover taco meat/beans, added fresh cilantro and salsa, and the tiniest bit of cheese. Super filling and under 300 calories.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    First make sure your goal is right. I'm sedentary, my job doesn't involve loads of walking and I lose on 1500 a day, and a tiny percentage of exercise calories on random workouts. I don't know your stats but you might look into your numbers.

As for filling, I've found eating heavy protein in the morning and then low cal veg for lunch gets me through the day. I like a good size dinner at night so I try to save the majority of calories for that.
  • FunbagsMcGee
    FunbagsMcGee Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Low calorie soups: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/low-calorie-soup
    I always bring soup to work in a thermos :blush:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Whole grains, whole food starches, piles of veggies, lots of lean sourced protein. I also eat at an appropriate level for my activity...if you're on your feet all day, you're not sedentary...so maybe address that.
  • Ciera247Zumba
    Ciera247Zumba Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Getting lots of fiber and protein earlier in the day is really helpful. Fiber makes you feel fuller longer. Whole grains, healthy cereals, granola, fruits, vegetables, and even options like chia seeds (great to add to smoothies and a good source of fiber/protein!) can be satisfying food sources. I also drink a protein shake in the mid-day to help keep my appetite controlled and it's very portable.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to drink water as well. It can help to make you feel full. When possible eat slowly and savor the food, for me that does help me think I am more full. At night find something to keep your mind and hands busy, walking, video games, reading, painting, some kind of hobby that keeps your mind off your hunger
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Focus on getting a good amount of protein and a good amount of fiber.
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I am saving this thread for later!
  • liveloseliftlove
    liveloseliftlove Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I love to use veggies in place of carbs like rice and pasta. Cabbage is great for asian dishes that would normally be served over rice. Zucchini noodles instead of pasta. I also add spinach or shredded cabbage to mashed potatoes to make them stretch... still delicious and potato-y without as many carbs.
  • liveloseliftlove
    liveloseliftlove Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Another thing I do when I am feeling hungry but its not time to eat... homemade (even low sodium store bought in a pinch) chicken or beef broth. Low calorie and warm... and fills me up for about 25-50 cals a cup depending on what kind you buy or make.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    SherriJo72 wrote: »
    Another thing I do when I am feeling hungry but its not time to eat... homemade (even low sodium store bought in a pinch) chicken or beef broth. Low calorie and warm... and fills me up for about 25-50 cals a cup depending on what kind you buy or make.

I love bone broth for this. 9g of protein per serving and low sodium! :blush:
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Timing of meals might help - feeling "full" on that amount of calories is pretty hard. What works for me recently is having two meals a day rather than three - something around lunch (500-600 calories)e and something around dinner, and frequently my daily "steps" enables me to have a snack (recent favorite is oikos triple zero yogurt - 120 calories, 15 g protein, 6 g fiber). Another eating plan has been to have a high protein breakfast (oatmeal with 227 g plain greek yogurt, for ex), then bring humus, greek yogurt, apples, and cut up carrots/brocoli/avocado/tomatoes and an apple or two to work. Planning to have a mid to late afternoon snack let me deal with the before-dinner hunger though it was hard given dinner was also 7 pm or later.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I bring a cold grain salad for lunch often, and they usually do a great job of filling me up. A half serving of rice, barley, farro, or protein pasta, plus a full serving of shredded chicken or tuna, plus as many veggies as I can fit in the bowl. You can use frozen veggie blends (like peas & corn, or chopped broccoli & carrots) or some raw stuff like cucumbers, celery, peppers, shredded cabbage, baby spinach etc. I use a little salad dressing like a balsamic or citrus vinaigrette to keep it moist and add a little flavor (I like the Marzetti Simply Dressed personally).

In general, a combination of protein and fiber is what you're looking for.

I know some people swear by soups, but they don't personally fill me up. It's prob psychological, but I need a lot of chewing to feel full!
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I'd like to second @chandanista. Your set activity level may be misaligned with your actual activity level. If you have a job where you're in your feet ten hours a day you may be active or very active. Your calorie goal is so low it makes me suspect that you have at MFP at sedentary and sent adding steps back. Adjust and you will probably be much happier.
  • ajc1309
    ajc1309 Posts: 255 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I'd like to second @chandanista. Your set activity level may be misaligned with your actual activity level. If you have a job where you're in your feet ten hours a day you may be active or very active. Your calorie goal is so low it makes me suspect that you have at MFP at sedentary and sent adding steps back. Adjust and you will probably be much happier.

My activity level is currently set to lightly active and to lose 1lb a week. 1360 cals is what MFP put me at.
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    First, make sure you are hydrated. Next, have you calculated your BMR and TDEE? You might be under-eating. If you are using MFP numbers, make sure to eat exercise cals back between 50-75%. Fats and proteins will help you feel more satisfied.