Lunch?

Options
Hi all, Ive got a pretty interesting issue when it comes to lunch. Im usually within 50-80 calories "under" my calorie goal but nearly all my calories get used during lunch. Due to what I am eating my salt/sugar/carbs and fats are usually high or over my goals.

Where I work is pretty isolated, very industrial. I get to my office at 7AM and cant take lunch till 1PM. There is no access to a fridge, a cooler and ice and such is also kind of out of the question. This basically means I cant bring in anything that requires any prep time, cold or even a microwave.

Going out to lunch is also extremely limited.....my options are
Burger King
McDonalds
Nathans
Ihop
Cinnabun
What I think is supposed to be chinese food (lol)
Pizza

There is a place to get a sandwich but I can only really go on Wednesdays due to the distance from my office and Wednesday is when the boss is golfing. On Wednesdays I always just get tuna on a roll (she only has rolls, no whole wheat bread)

HELP!
Any suggestions?

Replies

• bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I eat the following things that require no refrigeration or cooking:

raw fruit (apples, berries, etc.)
    raw vegetables
    cheese
    cheese spreads
    cans of tuna
    sandwhiches (usually PB- I don't eat meat other than fish)
    salads
    nuts
    bagels with spreads (or english muffins, etc.)
    dry cereal

HTH
  • bethrs
    Options
    double post- sorry.
  • shopgirl192
    shopgirl192 Posts: 102
    Options
    Bring your lunch! All you need is an insulated lunch bag and an ice pack! If you do this, you'll be able to bring yogurt, salad, a sandwich... anything!!! Eating a healthy lunch is important, plus by bringing a lunch, you'll be saving money!
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Can you bring your own small cooler to keep your food cold at your desk?
    Thats what I would do...
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Bring your lunch! All you need is an insulated lunch bag and an ice pack! If you do this, you'll be able to bring yogurt, salad, a sandwich... anything!!! Eating a healthy lunch is important, plus by bringing a lunch, you'll be saving money!

Ditto!
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    Can you not pack an insulated lunch bag with a little ice pack inside? They're as small as a purse and with lunch systems such as EasyLunchbox.Com and Planet Box Lunch or other type systems (there are easily half a dozen) you should be able to find a reasonably sized lunch system that includes space for an ice pack.

Here in Canada, we don't have cafeterias or lunch programs in the primary years and kids pack lunches without access to fridges or microwaves from JK to grade 8. I'm sure you can manage too.. just take a bit of creative thinking.
  • mindy14456
    mindy14456 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    An insulated lunch back with a cold pack works great. Doesn't take up much space and you can pack things that are healthy.
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I do safety on industrial sites and sometimes my lunch room is a truck cab, so as has been suggested, bring a cooler bag.A frozen bottle of water will keep your food cold. I bring yogurt, fruit, salad, sammies, nuts. List goes on. Lots of choices for foods that don't need to be reheated.
  • DiamondRubyMom
    DiamondRubyMom Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Things like yogurt and cheese sticks don't require that much refrigeration. It will keep from 7 to 1pm. I like the previous post about freezing a bottle of water. It would probably most thaw by lunch and then you would have a cold drink. Most of the time even eating a PBJ sandwich and chips is less calories than hitting mcdonalds. Fruit and fresh veggies can also be kept at room temp.
  • fattymclardass
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions......my situation is a little more annoying than was stated.

Due to the large warehouse attached to our building there is a strict policy of no coolers, food, bags etc in the building, there is just a small coffee area and all that is there is the coffee and the powered milk (gross). We get an amazing amount of bugs, mice and other rodents in the building.......the zero stored food policy has basically stopped the issue but even the smallest change starts it back up. A coworker left a single nutrigrain bar.....wrapped......in her desk overnight and we found a dead mouse there the next morning.
    I tried for a while to leave a small cooler or insulated bag in my car which usually works just fine in the winter but this time of year it just doesnt last from 6AM when I put it in the car till 1PM when I am allowed to go out to the car to eat, I end up with puddles and ruined food. And it makes the car smell.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    No refrigeration needed for this lunch:

Cheese (hard cheese like cheddar or even Mini-Babybell light since they are in a little wax package; soft cheeses may need refrigeration)
    Some whole grain crackers
    Hard boiled egg
    Celery and peanut butter
    Piece of fruit
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    That policy has got to be the worst possible policy I have ever heard of! Not only that, but they are putting all of you in a very HORRIBLE situation.

One of your choices, besides a healthy lunch, might be to bulk up your breakfast. In the past I have made pre-made breakfast burritos. They averaged anywhere from 250-500 calories (depending on what I needed for the day). Packed with protein, this kept me full longer, so at least I wasn't starving for lunch. For lunch, you might be able to pack Raw Almonds, Celery Sticks, Peanut Butter (Jiffy sells them in individual containers even). Canned tuna can last through an ice age, so toss some tuna on a piece of bread. Apples are another fruit that can survive the warmth of a car.
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    Surely your bosses should be addressing pest control in a far more pro-active and comprehensive way? Are the conditions really as filthy and hazardous as you make them sound? :-o
  • fattymclardass
    Options
    Oh no, no, no.....the place isnt filthy.
    Its the nature of the business and area we are in. Most of our building and the surrounding buildings are warehouses..........there isnt much you can do about keeping pests and bugs out of warehouses, especially those that have trucks in and out all day and the dock doors remain open all day.

The office itself is clean, we have a full time cleaning lady.......the furniture is nice but its extremely difficult to maintain pest management with any food around. Most people are OK with eating a bag of chips thats been sitting in their car all day baking at 100+ degree's for lunch or running out to McDonalds.....for me and trying to maintain a healthy diet is where it becomes an issue. I'm not a fan of the policy but I understand the need for it.

My boss is not a total horror, he understands the inconvenience and we continue to try ways around it but so far nothing has worked for any more than a couple of days.
  • bethrs
    Options
    Okay- is there any chance you would have time to run to a local market and purchase lunch- such as veggies or salad from a salad bar, yogurt, these sorts of things? I often run in kroger to buy my lunch on days I've not packed.