Half marathon times

Options
I've started running the half marathon distance.My times have been 1:56:30 and 1:57:58.Both have been on varied terrain and in good weather.I am a 45 year old male.I have no idea if these are decent times or not.Some feedback and tips would be much appreciated.Thank you in advance.

Replies

• nomoyoyoing
    nomoyoyoing Posts: 159 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    That is a highly subjective question you are asking. Under 2 hours may be fast for some, and 1:56 may be slow for others. I say do your best and try to PR each time you run that distance.

With that said, I wish I could run a sub 2-hr half!
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I'd be happy to be under 2 hours (I'm running a half in two weeks and if I manage that I'd be overjoyed).
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    What matters is not how you compare to other runners, but how your current time compares to your past times. Are you getting better? Compete with yourself.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Completely subjective. That would be an amazing time for some people, and a miserable one for others. If you're looking to run an actual race and want to see how you compare, look up finish times from last year and see where your time would put you. In my personal experience, a 2-hour half will put you somewhere in the middle of the pack.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I've started running the half marathon distance.My times have been 1:56:30 and 1:57:58.Both have been on varied terrain and in good weather.I am a 45 year old male.I have no idea if these are decent times or not.Some feedback and tips would be much appreciated.Thank you in advance.

Don't the results tell you where that time comes overall for everyone racing? Use that as a guide if you want to compare yourself! Just remember the saying, comparison is the thief of joy.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Running is really only a competition with yourself. If you want to improve your times there are tons of different half and full marathon programs designed to help you with that. My first half marathon is coming up in june, if I can do it in under 2:20 I will be happy.
  • Matt71Fleming
    Matt71Fleming Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have not raced and don't plan to race.I was interested to see what others who did run half marathons thought of these times as a starting point.If I continue to run at these times fine if I improve fine.I was only wondering as I have no friends who run.So I was asking for opinions on my times.Not to compare with anyone else.
  • Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Here's the deal on my long runs I run about an 8:45 to 9:05 minute mile. When I race, even at the same distance, I'm much faster, usually between 8:10-8:20 minute miles. So if you are comparing your time to what runners of the same gender and age as you it is not a terribly accurate comparison. That being said you can look up race results online and filter it so you can see how your pace fits in with your peers. I see you asking for opinions not comparisons. My opinion is that anyone who can run for two hours at that pace should feel like an accomplished runner. And as long as I am giving my opinion I will tack on that I think all runners should run a race, it is an amazing experience, plus you get a tshirt.
  • Matt71Fleming
    Options
    Aed0416 wrote: »
    Here's the deal on my long runs I run about an 8:45 to 9:05 minute mile. When I race, even at the same distance, I'm much faster, usually between 8:10-8:20 minute miles. So if you are comparing your time to what runners of the same gender and age as you it is not a terribly accurate comparison. That being said you can look up race results online and filter it so you can see how your pace fits in with your peers. I see you asking for opinions not comparisons. My opinion is that anyone who can run for two hours at that pace should feel like an accomplished runner. And as long as I am giving my opinion I will tack on that I think all runners should run a race, it is an amazing experience, plus you get a tshirt.

I appreciate your reply.I run for fitness and well being.I was very ill a couple of years ago so it's basically to feel better in myself and as long as I can keep running I know I'm not ill.Silly I know but gets me through the day.I would love to run a race it's just finding the courage to say I'm doing it.My times are just a starting point.Im happy with them if truth be told.I couldn't run the length of myself last summer so it's early days for me.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    There will be some people cruising in in just over an hour.... Others might be taking as long as 2:45 for a HM.
    For a man I would say you'll be somewhere bottom third on a big inner city race, but it also depends on the race.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    A sub 2 hr half marathon puts you as a middle of the pack runner for your age. Having said that I'm personally very happy to be a MOP runner, I'm not doing it to compete with others and what's more important is the fact that the vast majority of 40+ year olds can barely run a mile let alone a half marathon.

If you're really curious check out the age adjusted grading!

runnersworld.com/pace-calculators/age-grade-calculator
  • Matt71Fleming
    Options
    A sub 2 hr half marathon puts you as a middle of the pack runner for your age. Having said that I'm personally very happy to be a MOP runner, I'm not doing it to compete with others and what's more important is the fact that the vast majority of 40+ year olds can barely run a mile let alone a half marathon.

If you're really curious check out the age adjusted grading!

runnersworld.com/pace-calculators/age-grade-calculator

Brian thanks if I was mop runner then I'd be over the moon.Last May I was one of those over weight 40 somethings that could only run to the fridge to stuff my face.Since I've started running and changed my lifestyle I feel great.Thanks for the info.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Brian thanks if I was mop runner then I'd be over the moon.Last May I was one of those over weight 40 somethings that could only run to the fridge to stuff my face.Since I've started running and changed my lifestyle I feel great.Thanks for the info.

Yeah, that sounds a lot like me 10 years ago (I didn't start running until my early 50s). Don't forget to strength train too......we start losing about 1% of our lean muscle mass each year after 40.

Keep it up!

• gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    When I got off the couch my first year HM was right around yours - now in 40+ it's below 1:30. So there's probably a lot of potential room to improve, IF that's what you'd like to work on. I personally need a carrot/goal to chase but lot's of other people do not.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If you can run a half marathon you're doing far better than most people younger than you.