Must lose for hip replacement surgery

Options
Hi everyone
I need hip replacement surgery but am afraid to have it at my current weight. I started out at 390 and am at 331 now. It has taken me over a year to get that far, but I have fallen off the wagon several times. I have really been sticking with it for the past 6 weeks and have lost 12 of those pounds. I'm finding my fitness pal is a great help. I'm a 64 year old women with a bad hip so it's going to take some time. I look forward to making some new friends in the forums.

Replies

• ApolakiKali
    ApolakiKali Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss so far Cheryl! For each person who is trying to lose weight, we all have our own hurdles to cross, but just because our paths our different, doesn't mean we can't help encourage each other to be better. As for taking time to lose the weight, none of us put this weight on overnight so I wouldn't dwell on that at all. Just trying to be better today than we were yesterday is enough. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • Cheryl7777
    Cheryl7777 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hi ApolakiKali
    Thanks for your reply. I would love any encouragement from anyone offering it. We definitely can cheer each other on even though our journey may be different. I am here to encourage you too. I look forward to getting to know you.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your great loss so far! Stay strong and keep up the amazing work. You'll get there :)
  • goldiejohnson26
    goldiejohnson26 Posts: 1 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Way to go Cheryl! :D You just need a little push to reach your goal.

[Edited by MFP Staff]
  • juliewhalesby
    juliewhalesby Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Cheryl, I have had a hip replacement and fear that the left is on it's way with wear and tear! I know, like last time that unless I loose weight I will not be granted a replacement. After a near fall Xmas I can feel the strain of my current weight on both hips. Something has to be done now!!!! If my left hip weakens I will not be granted a replacement at my current weight. Today, I have started. Look forward to seeing how you are coping.
  • Cheryl7777
    Options
    Cheryl, I have had a hip replacement and fear that the left is on it's way with wear and tear! I know, like last time that unless I loose weight I will not be granted a replacement. After a near fall Xmas I can feel the strain of my current weight on both hips. Something has to be done now!!!! If my left hip weakens I will not be granted a replacement at my current weight. Today, I have started. Look forward to seeing how you are coping.

Boy it's rough getting around when your hips give out. I haven't actually seen my surgeon yet. I didn't have medical insurance and sure couldn't afford to pay for it on my own. The first of February I qualify for Medicare. I have also bought a supplemental insurance policy that will pay what Medicare won't pay for. So now after the first of February my regular doctor will set a consultation with the surgeon. My regular doctor said he did not know how much weight the surgeon will expect me to lose before he will be able to safely preform the surgery. I'm on two different kinds of pain pills now and it just marginally controls the pain. I'm scared to death of the surgery but I also want it over with so I can regain my mobility and my life. What did you weigh when you had your first hip replaced? I started out at 390 and I'm down to 313 but that's still a lot of weight and don't know if the surgeon will be able to do the replacement at my current weight or not. I'm kind of looking forward to the consultation with him so I know what I have to do.
  • TARGET65K
    TARGET65K Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Cheryl7777 wrote: »

I am having my hip replaced 6th April and living in Europe life is very different than the U.S.
    I picked a Public Hospital for the surgery and after my release from hospital will stay 4 week in a physiotherapy clinic. This service is free.
    I am also trying hard to lose weight so I may have a speedy recovery. I hope to enjoy the pleasure of cycling during the summer as cycling and skiing are what I miss most.
  • Cheryl7777
    Options
    TARGET65K wrote: »
    Cheryl7777 wrote: »

I am having my hip replaced 6th April and living in Europe life is very different than the U.S.
    I picked a Public Hospital for the surgery and after my release from hospital will stay 4 week in a physiotherapy clinic. This service is free.
    I am also trying hard to lose weight so I may have a speedy recovery. I hope to enjoy the pleasure of cycling during the summer as cycling and skiing are what I miss most.

Good luck with your surgery. I hope all goes well. I still haven't had my consultation with the surgeon. It should be some time this month. I see my regular doctor this Tuesday to set the referral appointment. I'm scared the surgeon will say I'm too heavy but I'm also scared he will say lets do it. I'm really afraid of the surgery itself. I'd love to be pain free though. We'll see I guess.
  • shelly24100
    shelly24100 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Good luck