Advice: polar sport watches and hrm

Options
Hi all. I am looking at 3 different polar watches that all pair with a HRM.

I need help picking which one!
Polar FT2
Polar FT4
Polar A300

I am looking for something that I can do zone training with. So be able to be notified when I hit my 80-90% heart rate max. However, somethings that will motivate me to move more throughout the day (as I have a desk job) would be great too! Any one out there with experience of these three devices?

Thanks!

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The A300 is the newest model -- it is both an HRM (when purchased w/H7 Bluetooth strap) and activity monitor. It is the best of the three. (Also the most expensive--but to me the FT models are good money after bad at this point because they are more limited)
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    The A300 will give you most, if not all of the information you're looking for, the FT will only give you your heart rate, and if I'm not mistaken, you can't download the information.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I have the ft4 and it's just a hrm for steady state cardio. It's not an activity tracker. It does let you know when you are in or out of the optimal heart rate zone. I do love it but I only use it for cardio workouts. I don't think you can download info and I've never tried,
  • Triathlete1502
    Triathlete1502 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Before you buy, have a look at DC Rainmaker's review:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/01/announces-myfitnesspal-automatic.html
  • Triathlete1502
    Triathlete1502 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    And this multisport watch with HRM that does NOT require a chest strap:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/04/tomtom-cardio.html
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    So i'm personally looking into getting the A300, i'm just waiting to purchase it in person.

I've owned and loved the ft4, however, it's only going to show calories burned during the exercise (when you're wearing your strap) and doesn't count calories all day long.

The A300 incorporates the best of both worlds i think because it's a daily activity tracker AND an accurate fitness tracker because it uses the heart rate monitor strap. Most "daily activity" trackers don't track heart rate at all or if they do it's only from the wrist which is incredibly inaccurate. In addition to that, the A300 also includes different bands which you can switch out at any time. I think this is great because i definitely started seeing some wear and tear on my FT4 and at that point you can really only replace it all together.

In any case, both products will let you train in different zones. One just also tracks your activity all day long as well as your sleep.

P.S. My boyfriend was trying to convince me that i just HAD to get the M400 based on a few reviews he read online that said the A300 is the same as the M400 except the M400 also has a built in GPS. Personally, i dont need this and i think the M400 is huge and clonky and ugly looking for a female's wrist. If you read something online saying they are the same, i can assure you having seen it in person that it is NOT.

08c7c50bda1c2f192d43db02a1743c37.jpg
    34t053y63ui68i-710x434.jpg
    Settings-Screen.jpg

• cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I've upgraded a few times through the Polar range and I now use a Polar Loop 2 and I've been very happy with it. It tracks all my activity, syncs with Polar Flow which in turn will sync with MFP and will also pair with the H7 chest strap for your cardio workouts.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    Options
    cronus70 wrote: »
    I've upgraded a few times through the Polar range and I now use a Polar Loop 2 and I've been very happy with it. It tracks all my activity, syncs with Polar Flow which in turn will sync with MFP and will also pair with the H7 chest strap for your cardio workouts.

Polar Flow will only sync to MFP through an IOS product, doesn't work with Android, or PC
  • ASkipp89
    ASkipp89 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    @rainbowbow so you are buying the a300? In the review @Triathlete1502 posted, it says that the watch isn't ideal for runners but swimmers. I don't know what to get! I want something that will alert me on inactivity, as I have a desk job. And I want something I can track my heart rate with, as I want to do "zone" training (whether it be for running or HIIT training)

Any other suggestions??

Thanks in advance!
  • ScubaSteve1962
    Options
    ASkipp89 wrote: »
    @rainbowbow so you are buying the a300? In the review @Triathlete1502 posted, it says that the watch isn't ideal for runners but swimmers. I don't know what to get! I want something that will alert me on inactivity, as I have a desk job. And I want something I can track my heart rate with, as I want to do "zone" training (whether it be for running or HIIT training)

Any other suggestions??

Thanks in advance!

Try the M400, it has GPS instead of the swim feature.
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    cronus70 wrote: »

Polar Flow will only sync to MFP through an IOS product, doesn't work with Android, or PC

Hmm didn't realise that was still an issue, my phone is Android but I actually use my iPad mini for Polar Flow and most of my MFP logging so oblivious to any issues.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    ASkipp89 wrote: »

Any other suggestions??

Thanks in advance!

yes!

I am! The only reason it says that is because it doesn't have a built in GPS. As i stated, this is useless for me. And personally, i think the m400 is ugly and too big for a woman's wrist.
  • ASkipp89
    ASkipp89 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    @rainbowbow I agree the m400 is ugly but I run outside a lot so gps would be great