Zoodles! Who loves em?

Options
PearBlossom9
PearBlossom9 Posts: 136 Member
Let's talk zoodles. Zucchini noodles. What is your favorite way to prepare them?

I've found if you salt them and let them sit on some paper towels for at least 20 minutes (longer is better) you can get a bunch of liquid out of them. Change the paper towels as needed, it will pull out plenty of liquid. Squeeze them while they are wrapped up! Make sure your sauce is on the drier side. I made a meat/tomato sauce and added just enough sauce to make it chunky.

Served with low carb flatbread/garlic bread and a sprinkle of Romano cheese. Yum!

eK7fBbc.jpg

Replies

• Mehridith
    Mehridith Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for these tips! I bought a device to do that to zucch but haven't tried it yet.
  • jodi3357
    jodi3357 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I bought zucchini . But I don't have a sprilizer (sp). Just a plain ole peeler. But I have hope that it will work out.....
  • redimock
    redimock Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I love them too! I've finally stopped doing anything to them once they're spiralized. I just let the sauce heat them through. I like them a little on the crunchy side, and even a minute saute would make them soggy. (And I am too lazy for the salt & squeeze :smile: .
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    jodi3357 wrote: »
    I bought zucchini . But I don't have a sprilizer (sp). Just a plain ole peeler. But I have hope that it will work out.....

Our favorite Italian restaurant slices them thin with a vegetable peeler. They put s&p and olive oil on them then grill them. It is delicious.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I hate cleaning my spiralizer and they always end up too watery. So thanks for the tip! Now if I could find a way to clean that damn thing without having to use a toothpick to get the chunks out of the grater, that would be great...
  • PaulaAlter1
    PaulaAlter1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »

Our favorite Italian restaurant slices them thin with a vegetable peeler. They put s&p and olive oil on them then grill them. It is delicious.
    yayamom3 wrote: »

• PaulaAlter1
    PaulaAlter1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Oh yum! That sounds wonderful, I want to try grilling them and will probably add on some garlic and parsley seasoning.
  • njaalla
    njaalla Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that inspiration! I tried making Zoodles for the first time last week and they turned out pretty okay, but I didn't know what sauce to eat them with, so I went for a simple tuna sauce... I could imagine them to taste a lot better with a drier sauce - I just didn't think about it myself. :)
  • dollydiva2
    dollydiva2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Courghetti where I'm from. Love them with a tomato and chilli pasta sauce and meatballs.
    Tried them with a creamy sauce and salmon once that wasn't so good, too much water came out of them but I've heard the trick is to stir fry them.
    We can buy them ready made along with butternut squash spaghetti and carrot spaghetti here. The supermarkets are getting switched on.
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    I fell-down the Zoodle path when I saw some of the yumminess on this other thread ( http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10218343/zucchini-noodles-pasta-substitute ); specifically the pics, recipes, and links posted by @Queenmunchy ... Big happy-points for the PadThai, Kung Pao uses!
  • dollydiva2
    dollydiva2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Pad Thai....now that's a great idea!
  • KitchyWitchy
    KitchyWitchy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I love zoodles! I actually prefer them over pasta in some dishes. Yum!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I've never tried "courgetti" (as it's called here) but Boodles (butternut squash noodles) are lovely!

I haven't experimented much with the sauces yet, what I did last time was just stir fry them with some kale and top with cheese - no imagination, I wanted something quick.

This idea looks lovely though!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I fell-down the Zoodle path when I saw some of the yumminess on this other thread ( http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10218343/zucchini-noodles-pasta-substitute ); specifically the pics, recipes, and links posted by @Queenmunchy ... Big happy-points for the PadThai, Kung Pao uses!

Awesome! They're really good :)
  • PearBlossom9
    PearBlossom9 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    lauranorr wrote: »
    Do you rinse the salt off after you squeeze them?

I salt them lightly then I use the paper towels to dry them. They are a bit wet to start with and the salt drawls more liquid out. I didn't rinse them.