Options
2»

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    mishkins3 wrote: »
    won't I lose muscle mass no matter how small the deficit, isn't the loss of muscle linear with the weight loss

Maybe I should be lighting weights then... I tried treadmill and wieghts for a week but my weight keept going up (water retention I think). I know it won't make a difference on weight loss over time once it levels out but it was discouraging anyways.

If you did weights then maybe you could maintain muscle if you lost slower than I am.

Not one supporter, maybe I will increase another 200-300 calories, and do some weight lifting. I know about the muscle loss but I figured since I don't have much compared to fat I won't lose very much and can regain it later.

What about supplements? can I get maco nutrients that ways Is there a specific kind that has all of them?

Not even sure what maco and micro nutrients are... are we talking vitamins and minerals?

I don't want to take like 3 years to lose the weight i want to lose, if it took that long I would never do it. that has been a reason I havn't dieted seriously before.

Do you like your hair, teeth and nails, and want to keep them?
    How about your organs? Do you want to live a long and happy life?
    Do you like clear healthy looking skin?
    How about sagging skin? Skin will become very saggy with a fast weight loss.
    Then eat at LEAST 1200 a day (1200 NET if exercising).

Oh, you should probably eat more if you want to have a healthy heart, too. What you're doing is VERY dangerous. I'm sorry, but I'd rather NOT die of a heart failure if it means a slower weight loss. Fast weight loss is never the key to a happy life. The weight will come back on...fast.

Do not, and I repeat DO NOT start lifting if you're not going to eat adequately. Eat appropriately for health.

No matter how much you lift, if you eat so little, you'll lose muscle mass, and a lot of it. Oh, you're heart is a muscle, did I mention that? Supplements will do diddly squat if you're not going to feed your body properly. How is your body going to process the fat soluble vitamins if you're eating so little?

Macro nutrients: Carbs, protein, fats. Should be balanced. You can't get these in pill form. Micro nutrients: vitamins and minerals.

I did what you are doing. Guess what? I ended up in hospital. Years later, I am still recovering, and certain things will never recover.

You're not a special snowflake. Lose weight the safe and proper way so he weight will stay off. Gah.

• chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt you are going to listen to any of this until you see some negative effects. Someone else said this in a different way, but it isn't just your show-off muscles that will diminish. The ones that we need to live such as your heart or respiratory muscles will also begin to lose strength and mass. If you are going to exercise, you will have to fuel your body for that exercise... Right now your body is barely getting enough to continue functioning-- especially at 600 kcal. You're eating less than half of your BMR (which is the amount of calories your body would use without any activity factored). The fact is you can't maintain this high of a deficit for the rest of your life. This is disordered eating and you will gain when you begin to eat more food again.
  • mishkins3
    mishkins3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I didn't plan to do it the rest of my life, I was planning to do it for about 4 months more (total 7 months)

I will aim for 1500 then (gross) with 20min of treadmill at 3M/H and 2% incline and 10 min of lifting a day (starting out with 3lb dumbbells, yes benching 6lbs lol... but yeah I am weak enough that I can feel it in my arms after 10min of assorted exercises, not a lot but i can). That's about 1300 net. Will slow my weight loss down 25%!!

Where would I find exercises that don't use weights that arn't really for cardio for someone who has been sedentary for a long time... like has videos + text of full-body workouts aimed at gaining strength . Elastic band exercises woulld be good too, I have one of those. Also i don't know anything about warm up or cool down exercises. I did a bunch of this stuff when I was in the hospitals live in psych ward a while back but I don't remember how and doing it wrong is bad. They did combinations of cardio and yoga and other stuff. Everything could be done with just the body and sometimes a rubber band.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    mishkins3 wrote: »
    I didn't plan to do it the rest of my life, I was planning to do it for about 4 months more (total 7 months)

That's all it takes to do damage to the body. You say that you're not planning to do this for the rest of your life... What happens after the 7 months? I did what you did, and wish that I hadn't. Seriously. Slow IS the best, and it did take me a long time to realize that. Why the rush? The end result of a rushed weight loss often results in unwanted side effects, both physical, hormonal and mental.

Proper nutrition and fuel is essential to keep the body in optimal condition. Eating so little calories won't provide proper nutrition.

• kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    If you're really determined to stay on a very low calorie diet, speak with your doctor. There may be more information in the medical world on how to stay safe on something like that, because as other posters have mentioned it can be very dangerous for your health. What about trying increasing to 1200 calories, if 1500 feels like too much for you? What about a maintenance break, to challenge yourself to keep the weight off while eating normally, so as not to "yo-yo diet"? if you've already lost over 50lbs it might be a really good time for a rest period.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,724 Member
    Options
    Kiss your gallbladder bye bye. Rapid weight loss = gall stones = surgery.

If you are are not willing to lift your *kitten* off the couch right now, a time period during which you temporarily have a more favourable muscle to fat ratio because you hopefully did lose more fat than lean mass, especially in the beginning, why on earth would you expect to be willing to lift your *kitten* off the couch down the road?

While you are/were obese you may have managed to escape with a favourable fat to lean mass loss ratio. The leaner you get and larger your deficit the more lean mass you will lose.

If you think that a 1:1 fat to lean mass ratio is good enough... the worse study I've seen had a 3:2 lean mass to fat lost ratio. That's right: losing more lean mass than fat. And yes, it was a very low calorie diet without extremely high protein... just like your diet.

You don't want to spend three years losing weight because you are engaged in an unsustainable eating and moving plan.

If your plan was sustainable and was teaching you the things you will need to know in order to maintain your weight, you wouldn't care how long it took for you to get to your "ultimate" target weight.

You know why? Because you would not be changing anything during your transition from weight loss to maintenance... except maybe adding an apple or banana a day to your food list.

Everyone I know who made "changes" in transitioning from weight loss to maintenance... didn't maintain.

25% deficit while obese. 20% deficit while overweight. Under 10% if trying to achieve maximum lean mass preservation while at a normal weight.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Do you know what is made up of muscle? Your heart. Seriously. You can do permanent damage with long-term undereating.
  • Cave_Goose
    Cave_Goose Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Let us know when your kidneys start shutting down. That will eventually happen if you don't reverse course and get enough calories.
  • mishkins3
    mishkins3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    okay okay you've convinced me

I"ll start aiming for 1000 deficit, so like 1450 net.. I've had only 1200 net so far and it's 10pm but I'll go eat a sandwich
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Net higher. You are a tale male. I'm a female, a foot shorter, and 10 years older than you and I eat more than you do and still lose weight.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    why do you need such a big deficit? take time to lose the weight,the slower the better.
  • lexylondon
    lexylondon Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I concur with prior recommendations but would just like to say.. wow I don't k ow how anyone could NOT feel hungry on that diet! The mind boggles...
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm a 5'4 female with a normal BMI and *I* lose weight steadily at 1450 net, and many days are higher than that. As a male, 1500 net should be your bare, bare minimum and if you're tall and obese or overweight, it should be much higher.

You say you're convinced but you don't seem to understand what everyone is telling you, which is that there is an upper physiologic limit on how much fat your body can oxidize for energy in one day (the general consensus is "a maximum of around 1 gram/minute, and that only with intense exercise- so for most of the day, much less). Above this limit, any energy that your body requires that can't be obtained from food must necessarily come from your lean tissue- muscle, organs, bones. Likewise micronutrients- if not eaten, they must be either taken from your tissues or you will suffer from deficiencies with all their attendant symptoms.

So no, LBM loss is not necessarily linear with fat loss. Depending on the size of your deficit, it can greatly exceed the rate of fat loss, and the higher your deficit goes, the greater this disparity.

To achieve those massive drops on the scale that make you feel good about your progress, you aren't actually achieving twice the healthy rate of *fat* loss, you're losing a bit of fat with a lot of lean tissue, more than you would at a lower rate of loss. That lean tissue loss, while it's lowering your scale number quickly, is not improving your health or appearance, and it can have serious short and long term consequences. Losing muscle lowers your basal metabolism, weakens your ability to do the kind of activities that are needed for living and also for creating additional calorie burn, and makes you look and feel soft and flabby. Losing organ muscle, like your heart, can permanently damage your health. Losing bone density (if you're not eating enough calcium, where do you think your body is getting it from?) can permanently increase your risk of fractures and degenerative bone problems like arthritis. You'll also see problems like skin and hair damage- rashes, hair loss, weak nails, trouble healing small cuts and bruises. You can wind up with anemia and other blood problems.

Those big drops on the scale, way over the recommended amount, are not representative of some kind of shortcut you've discovered to fat loss. They're exactly what people are warning you about- evidence that you're cannibalizing your healthy tissues to create the illusion of losing fat.

You say you would "never do this" if it took years to get down to a healthy weight, but sit with that claim for a second. You would "never try" to lose weight if it took three years? You'd rather still be fat in three years, and just as fat for the next three years, than be gradually less fat for three years and then not fat at all three years from now?

What kind of sense does that make?

Everyone is spot-on about this needing to be a gradual transition that you can live with forever. The view you're taking- "I'm going to do this as brutally and as quickly as possible, because I can't live like this forever, and I need to get back to living 'normally' as soon as possible once I'm thin" tells you right away that you won't succeed this way. Because even if you do somehow manage to live on starvation rations for the next four months, and you lose all the weight you want to, when you stop, it will all come back- and more, because you'll have lost muscle mass, so eating the same amount you did before you started will lead to faster weight gain with your new, permanently lower BMR.

You need to find a gradual reduction in intake and increase in movement that you can live with as long as it takes, and that you'll be able to transition to a maintenance plan with just a small increase in calories, that you can also live with forever. If you're viewing this as a diet that you're going to go all-out on for a few months and then quit cold turkey, you're honestly better off not doing it at all. At least you'll preserve your LBM and heart, and the end result will be the same.