the grapefruit diet?

Options
I recently tried grapefruit and found out I really like it. People say it actually helps kick start weight loss. What have y'all heard about this? What do you think?

Replies

• Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    I don't believe there is such a thing as a "kick start". If grapefruit helps you to stay in a deficit there is nothing wrong with eating it.
  • Badger6170
    Badger6170 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Many, many years ago I did the grapefruit diet. I got an insane amount of vitamin c, and did lose weight, but realistically, long term, it's very bad for you. Eat a nutritionally balanced and calorically appropriate menu and you'll lose weight, no fake science needed.
  • Badger6170
    Badger6170 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    That being said, I still like to eat the occasional grapefruit or drink the juice. Just make it a part of your food plan, not the cornerstone.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Grapefruit is tasty and has lots of vitamins, but the diet itself is a whacky relic of the 70's. Include grapefruit in your diet, by all means, but ignore any diet which uses it as a cornerstone.
  • paymentm
    paymentm Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Also be careful with grapefruit it can inhibit absorption of some medications in the small intestine. Some medications like birth control
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I know people who can't eat grapefruit (pink or otherwise), because it interferes with their seizure meds.
  • hockeysniper8
    hockeysniper8 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Grapefruit Helps speed up your metabolism, which can lead to weight loss. May not work for everyone
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    What everyone said except for @hockeysniper8. If it helps you feel skinnier go for it.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Grapefruit Helps speed up your metabolism, which can lead to weight loss. May not work for everyone

No, it doesn't.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i eat a half a grapefruit with sugar in the mornings... also with breakfast potatoes, scrambled eggs with cheese, salsa, and avocado. I eat them because I like them... a "diet" should be something you can sustain for the foreseeable future.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I think that was a super popular diet myth in like the 80s maybe the 90s....
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options

By how much is you metabolism sped up?

How has this increase been measured?

How much grapefruit do you have to consume to lose an extra 1lbs of body fat over an identical dietary intake containing no grapefruit?

Evidence?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    No...
  • stmokomoko
    stmokomoko Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I heard the "eat less than you burn diet" is better than the grapefruit diet. :p
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    yeah, grapefruit is no more special than any other piece of fruit. it is tasty, but it is not a "super food," nor is it going to "kick start" your weight loss or increase your metabolism... no food does that
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Include grapefruit in season as part of a healthy eating plan as long as none of your medications are on the no grapefruit list. I grew up with a tree in the backyard. Then I washed my sticky hands and face with water from the hose!
  • bbilliethecat
    bbilliethecat Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    stmokomoko wrote: »
    I heard the "eat less than you burn diet" is better than the grapefruit diet. :p

that is a pretty good diet . tried it myself and it really seems to be working for me . really recommend it :)