I've lost the weight, how do I lose the fat?

So I'm down to 127lbs and am so happy with my new weight. However, trying a bathing suit on at the store still made me feel like my old-fat self. It's crazy as most ppl would look at me and think I'm thin, but underneath the clothes I still am carrying more fat than I'd like. I'm now trying to get more lean while staying around the same weight. Any help? Any suggestions?

Replies

• vegangela_
    vegangela_ Posts: 154 Member
    I know people are going to suggest you start lifting. But if that's not an option for you, perhaps take up yoga or pilates. You might find a bit of toning will go a long way. :smile:
  • Suzanne106
    Suzanne106 Posts: 149 Member
    You can't be "fat" and weigh 127, sorry. Maybe it's just toning you need. Try resistance bands, they work great!
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Hi OP.

how much weight did you lose? You may have loose skin, or still be mentally the size you were.

I know the feeling of skinny fat though! No muscle tone and the same shape as you were but smaller?
    I was there at 123lb! And I'm 5'7" so yes it is possible.

I went on a progressive weight lifting routine and gained 8lb, about 4 of which were butt lifting muscle! My body completely changed. Then I very slowly cut the excess fat by going on a small defecit and I ended up at 15% body fat. I started at 42 at over 30%.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Now its time to work on fitness, that'll shape your body nicely if you are consistent with your workouts. I really can't help but sing the praises of lifting weights, along with some cardio. :smile:
    well done on your loss and reaching a weight you're happy with.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Find your maintenance calories, get adequate protein, start lifting.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    +1 on weights. Also, do a search in the forums for: "HALP! Lifting made me SUPAH bulky" to de-bunk any myth about weightlifting "bulking" you up. There are a few groups here that deal specifically with weight training: Stronglifts 5x5 For Women; and Eat, Train, Progress. Both forums have lots of information and ongoing support to help you get started, if weight lifting interests you.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Lifting gets touted as the answer to this because it works so well and when done properly in conjunction with the appropriate diet creates a transformation that nothing else does. You don't even need to do that much, three half hour sessions a week for example. There are plenty of experienced lifters on here who I'm sure will provide you with good suggestions in regards to what to do. Give it a try and see if you like it.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Suzanne106 wrote: »
    You can't be "fat" and weigh 127, sorry. Maybe it's just toning you need. Try resistance bands, they work great!

Yes you can - it's called "Skinny Fat".
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Look into recomp---there's a great thread running by usmcrp. Do a search. She's really great and in the know.
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    "toning" is not a thing, there is muscle gain and there is fat loss. what you are all describing as "toning" is simply a larger muscle with less fat covering it.

the most efficient / fastest way to gain muscle is to lift weights with an adequate intake of protein (at your size, aim for 90-100 grams a day). the fastest way to lose fat is to diet. as a beginner you can do both of these things. so change your diet to include protein and eat at a very slight calorie defecit - perhaps 250cal per day defecit.

while weight lifting might be the fastest method because it is easy to measure progress and to train your entire body, any strength-based activity would fit the bill. The more active and gymnastic yoga styles, rock climbing, crossfit, and so forth. more aerobic activities such as running, zumba etc are not efficient at building muscle (but still useful to keep in good cardiovascular condition).
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    I understand! I am planning a recomp too. I'm 5'7" and have gotten down to 130 (original goal weight was 133). Overall I'm really happy with the changes but still a bit "skinny fat." My belly fat especially is stubborn (though it's better than it was 23 lbs ago!). I'm doing You Are Your Own Gym body weight workouts and hoping to see some good progress over time. I would still like to lose a couple more lbs, maybe get to 127-128 but I know if I keep losing I'll get too thin in certain places so I think a recomp will serve me better at this point.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Why not do a combination.why does it have to be weights- now everyone just on the band wagon. Technically best all over toning is ballet. But we can't all do that or afford it, so why not try some 3dimentional Pilates yoga do anything but obsess over it, you look great Hun.

I take it you do ballet? That is awfully specific.

Any kind of resistance program is going to be more accessible than a ballet studio. I suggest weight lifting to people because it gives me more bang for my buck. I only do it 3 times a week for 30 minutes a time, and it is serving me well.
  • mish26
    mish26 Posts: 60 Member
    edited February 2016
    Look into recomp---there's a great thread running by usmcrp. Do a search. She's really great and in the know.

I've searched for this thread and can't find it. Can someone help?

n/m, found it! It's actually started by usmcmp
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Why not do a combination.why does it have to be weights- now everyone just on the band wagon. Technically best all over toning is ballet. But we can't all do that or afford it, so why not try some 3dimentional Pilates yoga do anything but obsess over it, you look great Hun.

Because the OP has indicated she would like to maintain the same weight (number in the scale) but be leaner (lower body fat percentage).
    In order to accomplish this, two things must happen:
    1) more fat must be burned
    2) muscle must be built

The latter will only occur when resistance training occurs. The most practical means of engaging in resistance training for most people is lifting weights.

Ballet may be great for agility but it's not better for building muscle (a primary mechanism of getting the "toned" look) than lifting.
    Pilates and yoga are also fine exercises but will not lead to the increase in muscle mass that the OP is seeking (in order to maintain weight while reducing fat) as efficiently as lifting.
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Start lifting. Not a lot of weights, but enough to tone. I've seen women gain a few pounds but are leaner, firmer and stronger while losing fat in the process. For you, don't look at the scale anymore, but focus on your clothes. Research a good lifting program tailored for your needs. Don't be afraid of the weights, you can lift a lot and not look like those professional body builders. check out bodybuilding.com and bodyspace
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Lift loads of weights! Yay!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Technically best all over toning is ballet. .

Technically, this couldn't be more false.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited February 2016
    At this point, there are probably a couple of things going on...one, the mental perception of yourself and two, your body composition may not be what you're wanting/hoping for.

Your body composition changes when you start rocking your fitness...a fitness body is derived from a fitness centric lifestyle and a solid diet (noun). The most important element here will be some kind of progressive resistance training along with a solid diet. Keep in mind that recomp is a slow process...it's not really a matter of weeks or a few months...it's years of living that kind of lifestyle.
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    edited February 2016

I think people are suggesting what has worked for them, and what they know has worked for others. I assume you've done ballet/pilates and feel that it has worked for you and that you didn't just randomly throw that suggestion out there.

• courtkneeleep
    courtkneeleep Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks everyone! Really appreciate the posts!