The February 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• cbro70
    cbro70 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Good morning running fans. I had an awesome weekend and was able to run 3 miles everyday !!!!
    It really feels great to be back in shape and see the small victories. I also hit my goal of 50 miles for
    Feb on Saturday. I am excited about my first 5K coming up on this weekend. I hope everyone has a great
    week and keep running !!!!
    exercise.png
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    I plunged. I needed a reason to run
    signed up for a half marathon in door county. march and april i will not be slagging like i have been

And now you have to do it :smiley:
    I've heard there are big hills and pirates. so that should be interesting :wink:
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Su Feb 21: 6.05 miles easy run. 12:14 was the target, avg pace was 12:30..so I have some work to do. Mostly in getting my runs in as I’m supposed to.
    Mo Feb 22-27: no running
    Sa Feb 27: 4.05 miles.
    Su Feb 28: No run but got in a three mile walk
    Mo Feb 29:

Quite obviously I'm not happy with my lack of motivation this month and I will need to get way more serious next month to have a prayer of getting in HM shape by June/July-ish. I think my next step is to pull the trigger on a registration. I'm cheap and hate to waste money so if I've shelled out my $70-100 it'll be easier to make myself get out there. Spring is starting to pop here though and that will remove at least one excuse. :)

exercise.png
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    @sthoma13: That first 10 miler is always a great thing. Congrats...
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    2/1 - Rest day. Semi-planned.
    2/2 - Snow Day
    2/3 - 4 miles on treadmill
    2/4 - 5.1 miles on treadmill (Trek class). Sore knee this morning...hoping it is from shoveling and not running related. Didn't get worse when I ran, so I am going to cautiously push through.
    2/5 - 4 miles on treadmill
    2/6 - Life day...too busy to squeeze in a run :-(
    2/7 - 5.4 windy miles, but warm for Feb.
    2/8 - Another life day. Wife's mother in hospital not well, so she is out of town...gotta get kids to school, etc.
    2/9 - 4 miles on treadmill. Convinced all three kids to go to the Y with me after dinner.
    2/10 - 2/14 - Nothing.
    2/15 - Again, 0.
    2/16 - 4 miles on treadmill, hotter than blazes in the gym!
    2/17 - Another life day.
    2/18 - 4.1 wet, squishy, windy, springy miles...it was fun!
    2/19 - 4 miles on a teeny, tiny indoor track (76 laps)
    2/20 - Spin class with my Y friends...raising funds
    2/21 - 4.3 miles, nice and comfortable
    2/22 - 5.2 easy miles. Felt like I could have run all night, but family / duty called and I had to head home.
    2/23 - 3.5 miles on treadmill + weights/abs
    2/24 - Planned rest day. Been so long since I actually needed that...I may have forgotten how!
    2/25 - Unplanned rest day. MIL back in hospital for third time in three weeks.
    2/26 - 4.33 miles. Breezy, but pretty good.
    2/27 - 6.53 miles on a gorgeous day! 65° F at 3 p.m. - it was HOT.
    2/28 - Another unplanned rest day. MIL is being sent to in-home hospice.

exercise.png
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    ^^ YAY! March is an awesome month!
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    02/02 8.00 mi
    02/04 3.65 mi
    02/07 6.43 mi
    02/10 3.10 mi – Helping Homeless Animals Find “Rosier” Outcomes Virtual 5K
    2/13 10.03 mi
    2/16 3.00 mi
    2/18 3.00 mi
    2/21 13.1 mi – Disney Princess Half Marathon
    2/27 2.81 mi
    TOTAL 53.12 mi
    GOAL 50.00 mi

Upcoming Races:
    02/21 – Disney Princess Half Marathon – 2:38:29 (included 16 stops to either take photos of something or have my photo taken with something)
    04/02 – Philadelphia Hot Chocolate 15K
    04/09 – Yuengling Light Lager Jogger 5K
    04/16 – River Horse 6K
    05/01 – Blue Cross Broad Street Run (10 miles)
    09/18 – Rock 'n' Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift - I bow to your mileage total. Wow! Congrats!
    @cbro70 - Congrats on the distance!
    @WhatMeRunning - We all have a running problem. This is really a "therapy" group.
    @Stoshew71 - Love that you used the term "piker". Been hanging out in Jersey? Maybe Boston?
    @MobyCarp - Well said. I think all dedicated runners sometimes feel like what they did was not much or not enough.
    @Whatang - Yep, no problem getting up for the HM in May. I've been running 18-20 mile weeks since my last one in October and am just beginning to "stretch out" for an HM on April 30. Go get it!
    @shanaber - Love the agility pic! He looks so focused and yet like he is having the time of his life!
    @Elise4270, @kristinegift and @louubelle16 bell - Who says runners aren't tough?!? Way to be badass!
    @orphia - Congrats on the PR distance! Looks fun!
    @virkati - Love the name Limpers and Gimpers! I hope to never join :smiley:
    @runner_girl83 - Prayers for you and your Dad!

Upcoming Races:
    4/9 - Beer and Bagel Off Road
    4/30 - Drake / Hy-Vee Half Marathon
    5/14 - WHAMM 10k
    6/4 - Dam to Dam Half Marathon

All you Midwesterners - looking for some good races in driving distance (say up to 6 hours away) from Des Moines. Any one have thoughts?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

Quite obviously I'm not happy with my lack of motivation this month and I will need to get way more serious next month to have a prayer of getting in HM shape by June/July-ish. I think my next step is to pull the trigger on a registration. I'm cheap and hate to waste money so if I've shelled out my $70-100 it'll be easier to make myself get out there. Spring is starting to pop here though and that will remove at least one excuse. :)

It really will help. If I'm not signed up for anything, I'm a slaggard too. Consider it an investment in your training.
  • instantmartian
    Options
    My half marathon story isn't anything exciting much, but I am really proud of what I accomplished. My goal going in was to finish with as little walking as possible, and be fit to spend the next couple days vacationing with my daughter (the trip was a belated birthday gift). My official time was 2:56:44, which isn't where I wanted it to be, but my gps said that I completed 13.5 in 2:49 (I stopped it for bathroom breaks--the lines were long). I was a little sore right after, but a nice hot shower and some stretching sorted me out and I probably walked an additional 8+ miles over the next two days without any stiffness or soreness.

I did not push my speed at all--just ran at a comfortable pace. I'd never run more than 12 miles before the event and I was quite concerned about running out of steam before the end. My goal going forward will be to slowly increase the speed of my long runs, I think, but I'll be dialing back the length of those runs for some time. I'd really like to get my 5 and 10 k speeds up before I contemplate running another half (I might go back and do the Disney one in November, but I'm fairly convinced that these races *can't* really be about speed for the non-elite runner--there are just too many people in the way, almost the entire way)

Things I'd do differently: Not carry water--there were plenty of water stops (I didn't use my fuel--might have wanted them if I was running faster, though)
    Not stop to pee, even if I think I really, really need to. I didn't. I was just nervous. And the potties are disgusting.
    Push myself to run faster in the wider spots, because the narrow spots jammed up so much that I couldn't really run at the pace I'd prefer.

Since the race, I've of course been at the hospital. My son is not capable of managing his diabetes independently due to his autism, so in my newly-acquired job as his pancreas, I expect I'll have far less training freedom for the near future, at least. I won't lie and say that it isn't bothering me--both the fear for his health and the loss of my own freedom. But I expect we will eventually fall into some sort of new normal. Today we started that, as he got home last night. I managed a short run at the gym and it felt delicious. So here we go...

1/31 Rest
    2/1 6.25 @ 12.00 on the treadmill
    2/2 3.5 (3 @ 11:50 and .5 walking) and strength training
    2/3 Rest day
    2/4 10.25 @ 11:46 on the treadmill.
    2/5 Planned rest day--taking my daughter on her first college visit!
    2/6 5 @ 10:35 on the treadmill
    (25/25 for the week)

2/7 Rest
    2/8 5 @ 11:23 on the treadmill. Knees were giving me a little trouble at the beginning but warmed up ok.
    2/9 3.25 @ 10:46 on the treadmill and strength training
    2/10 11 @ 12:00 on the treadmill. Dear goodness golly that was awful.
    2/11 Rest
    2/12 6.25 @ 11:23 on the treadmill.
    2/13 Rest
    (25.5/25 for the week)

2/14 No race day-- -7windchill too cold for wimpy me
    2/15 5 @ 12 ish on the treadmill-saurus in my basement since we're having another stinking snow day
    2/16 5 @ 12 ish on the treadmill at home. My legs/ankles/whatever are not feeling great today
    2/17 5 @ 11 on the treadmill at the gym and strength training.
    2/18 5 @ 10:45 on the treadmill at the gym
    2/19 Walked around the Magic Kingdom
    2/20 Walked around Epcot
    (20/20 for the week)

2/21 13.5 @ 12:32 Disney Princess Half Marathon. See notes above.
    2/22-25 Sitting in a hospital with a very ill boy
    2/26 3.25 @ 10:38 on the treadmill
    2/27
    (16.75/20 for the week)

exercise.png

Based on your experience with the Princess Half, can I assume you didn't submit a race time? I have heard absolute horror stories from people placed in the back few corrals, especially those people who want to run. Actually, the hot tub at my resort later that morning was filled with runners. Of course, we all got to talking about our experience, and a group of friends noted how pleasant their experience was this years' race in corral H as opposed to their nightmare stores from last year when they were in corral N.

I submitted a time from a 15K I did last Spring. I was placed in corral E, and I had an absolute wonderful experience with this race. I never felt crowded; I never had to weave around people; there were absolutely no lines for the toilets; and everyone was at about the same pace the entire way, though I fell back a little due to a potty stop around mile 10, as well as stops for about 16 photos ops throughout the course - two of myself and 14 more of just me taking photos of random stuff along the course. Some of the character stops had super-long lines (like Belle and the Beast), but I didn't care about most of the characters, anyway - I am not a Princess person - Jack and Sally from Nightmare Before Christmas was good enough for me. Everyone around me was so polite, conversational, encouraging, and respectful - I hear that is not always the case once you get closer to the back of the pack.

If you will be running another Disney race in November, I highly suggest you enter your time for a corral designation. I feel like you will have a much more pleasant race experience if you do.

I'm still very sorry to hear about your son. I really hope things start to look up for all of you shortly.
  • instantmartian
    Options
    whatang wrote: »
    Not got round to checking in for a few days. Properly over the cold that wiped out 10 days earlier this month, it's great to be back in the swing of things. Did a very slow 5 miles on Wednesday, and a quicker 7 miles tonight. Won't get anywhere near my goal for the month, I'm at 46 out of a target of 76, will probably end up about 55ish. But, pretty happy with that considering the 2 dead weeks in the middle of the month.

It's been really interesting reading all the debate about training and long runs, and it's started me thinking in unfamiliar directions... I'm considering signing up for a half marathon in May. I haven't done any organised races at all before, other than 5k parkruns, but I'm running about 18-20 miles a week, usually with a long run of about 7 miles. My longest run has been 10 miles, which was challenging but not horrific. Thoughts? Could I be ready for a half in about 12 weeks?

I am by no means an expert, and my situation is probably a bit different from yours, since I had trained for two HMs (but was sidelined with injuries) before I was able to actually train for a third which I just completed. This was also a HM I didn't take completely seriously. However, my longest run over the past couple years was 10 miles just over a week before the half. I don't necessarily suggest it, but with many stops for photos of stuff and photos of me with stuff, I managed to finish the half in 2:38:29 with plenty of energy left (I could have run between photo ops a bit faster, I believe). I'd say, with 12 weeks left before your first half, with long runs of 7 miles or so, already, you are well on your way to comfortably finishing a half in May.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    @Stoshew71 - Love that you used the term "piker". Been hanging out in Jersey? Maybe Boston?

I believe it was @9voice9 that used the term 'piker'. However, I am from NJ originally.
  • instantmartian
    Options
    Have been meaning to log in.. Things are a tad hectic over here.
    I'm currently at 128k for the month.. Hoping to do a 5k walk this afternoon, if it doesn't rain, leaving me with 133k.

My original goal was 180km though I twisted my ankle last weekend, nothing as bad as last time thankfully but I've just been taking it easy.. walking when running gets a bit much.

My Dad has been diagnosed with cancer.. Things have been hard. I really hate seeing him like this. Running has definitely helped with my anxiety about it all. I usually try to fix everything for everyone and it's hard for me to accept that there's nothing I can do about this. So I run.. Exhaust myself so I don't have to think about it. I'll set a goal for Feb and I will keep logging now and then though - This group keeps me accountable and I need that!

Congrats with everyone for a great month!!

I am so very sorry to hear about your father. I know exactly what you are going through - my mom was diagnosed with cancer late last August. My life was a complete blur for the second half of 2015. I'm still struggling with accepting everything, and we lost her in October. Best of luck. Get out and run. Do what you can to take your mind off of things, but be there as much as you can for your father and your family. I'm thinking of you.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I took 4 days of rest to get full confidence in that oblique muscle. Today I finally ran again, putting in 5 miles with my new Garmin Forerunner 630. I already like it a lot better than my old setup. The muscle is feeling fine so far. The best way I will know if it is fully healed is after resting overnight, it tended to be most noticeable in the mornings.

See everyone in March!!

2/1 - 4 miles
    2/2 - 4.3 miles
    2/4 - 4 miles
    2/6 - 11.1 miles
    2/8 - 9.5 miles
    2/10 - 4.5 miles
    2/12 - 5.3 miles
    2/14 - 9.2 miles
    2/15 - 4 miles
    2/16 - 4 miles
    2/17 - 4.3 miles
    2/18 - 4 miles
    2/20 - 10 miles
    2/21 - 4 miles
    2/22 - 5 miles
    2/23 - 5 miles
    2/24 - 4 miles
    2/29 - 5 miles

101.2 of 100 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS)
    4/23 - Race for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO)
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS)
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City half marathon Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Have been meaning to log in.. Things are a tad hectic over here.
    I'm currently at 128k for the month.. Hoping to do a 5k walk this afternoon, if it doesn't rain, leaving me with 133k.

My original goal was 180km though I twisted my ankle last weekend, nothing as bad as last time thankfully but I've just been taking it easy.. walking when running gets a bit much.

My Dad has been diagnosed with cancer.. Things have been hard. I really hate seeing him like this. Running has definitely helped with my anxiety about it all. I usually try to fix everything for everyone and it's hard for me to accept that there's nothing I can do about this. So I run.. Exhaust myself so I don't have to think about it. I'll set a goal for Feb and I will keep logging now and then though - This group keeps me accountable and I need that!

Congrats with everyone for a great month!!

My dad was diagnosed with non Hopkins Lymphoma and was doing great with his chemo. He was a weak but very stubborn man and had a fall on his stairs in his home that paralyzed half his body. He ended up bed ridden in a hospital and a few short months we lost him 2 days before my 40th birthday. So I feel for you. I pray that your dad beats this thing. Stay strong.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    @shanaber Hobbes can really get some air!
    @kristinegift Ouch! road rash can be quite painful! Way to grind out the mileage anyway.
    @MobyCarp & @WhatMeRunning, your talk of water during marathons makes me look ahead to my May marathon. The water stops are at miles: 1.7, 4.0. 5.5, 7.6, 9.9, 12.7, 15.7, 18.1, 20.4, 22.2, 23.4, and 25.3, with Gatorade beginning at mile 5.5, and salty snacks beginning at 12.7. Is that frequent enough that I wouldn't need to carry my own if I wanted to do the water stops? Right now my thoughts are to carry two disposable half liter bottles to supplement the water stops, one with water, one with Gatorade. I'd use the water stops exclusively through 9.8. but with the 2.3 to 3.0 mile gaps in the middle, I might need my own supply. At 22.2 I'd pitch the bottles. Keep in mind that this race is limited to 450 racers so I'm not concerned at all about crowded stops, except perhaps the first one.
    @whatang, great job on that 5k park run!
    @orphia, that looks like a gravel road I'd love to run. It looks like you could just run all day. Congrats on nailing all the PRs and goals!
    @kateparry84 welcome back to running!
    @runner_girl83 so sorry to hear about your Dad. That has to be tough.
    @karllundy Sorry to hear about your MIL. Tough times as well. As far as races, what are you looking for? Distances? paved or trail? big or small?
    @WhatMeRunning, what GPS were you using before?

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    With my bum knee (and too much work to do), I took a break from running and skipped my Thursday and Saturday run, which would have been about 20 miles in total. I was going to skip yesterday too, but my knee had been pain free so when I dropped my son off for soccer practice, I decided to run for an hour until practice was over.

Didn't quite happen that way. I had a pre-planned route in a new area but while lost in my head on my run, I lost track of where I was supposed to go. My 6 mile run turned into a 7;2 mile run and I was 15 minutes late getting back to soccer practice. I don't mind making my son wait, but felt bad the coach had to wait as well.

I'm happy to report that my knee felt fine during and after the run. I feel like, maybe, perhaps, hopefully, I'm back in business. Rest day today then 7+ tomorrow night with the Winter Warriors.

One thing this injury did is make me decide to scale back my speedwork plans leading up to my marathon. For the next two weeks I'll just be doing a some strides along with my easy runs, and perhaps 2 or 3 miles at marathon pace at the end of my long runs. At that point I'll gradually start more tempo runs and such. My main goal for the marathon training is to stay injury free, regardless of what it does to my time. Better to cross the finish with a slower time than not even cross the start line.

I did not meet my goal for the month...no surprise there. I need to rework my plan before I can come up with a goal for March.

Congrats everyone who met their goals, came close, or gave it a great effort!30z9jsmegsy1.jpeg
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Met my goal for the first time since before the holidays!! Thinking about adding a 5k in March, need to decide soon since the deadline is coming up soon!
    February Running Totals (km)
    2/1- 3.5 (3.5/30)
    2/2- 3.63 (7.13/30)
    2/3- 1.36 (8.49/30)
    2/4- 1.34 (9.83/30)
    2/5- Rest following surgery
    2/6- Rest following surgery
    2/7- Rest following surgery
    2/8- Extra rest day
    2/9- Still resting...
    2/10- 1.29 (11.12/30)
    2/11- Life
    2/12- Life
    2/13- Life
    2/14- 2.16 (13.28/30)
    2/15- 2.21 (15.49/30)
    2/16- 2.59 (18.08/30)
    2/17- 1.22 (19.30/30)
    2/18- Life
    2/19- 2.54 (21.84/30)
    2/20- Girls Weekend
    2/21- Girls Weekend
    2/22- Recovery from girls weekend
    2/23- 1.20 (23.04/30)
    2/24- 2.56 (25.60/30)
    2/25- 1.34 (26.94/30)
    2/26- 1.34 (28.28/30)
    2/27- Sore from personal training
    2/28- 2.51 (30.79/30)
    2/29-

Races
    April 10th- Run For Home HM (Relay Team)
    May ?- TuscBDD 5k
    June 25th- Indian Mud Run
    August 13th- Insane Inflatable 5k
    August 20th- Warrior Dash

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - First off, great to hear your knee is better!

You should be fine with that many stops. All of the ones I ran last year had stops about every 2 miles which is what you have there. The vast majority of runners were not carrying water bottles and using only water at the stations. I forgot my water bottle for my 3rd full and used the water stations only for that one, had no problems. Although being a rather big boy I was hanging around for a while on the last few water stations downing about 3 cups at each. Maybe more. At that point it was about laughing and trying to make the aid station people laugh knowing that I was the guy ahead of the course sweeper. So they were generally happy to see me. :lol:

As for my prior GPS, I was using my phone, apps, and a Wahoo Tickr X HRM. Strava and Endomondo together gave me the best experience of the many apps I tried. I can't complain too much about that setup at all really. In fact it was quite nice and the only thing that had kept me from getting a Garmin over the last year or so was that I felt I had everything I needed already. But beng able to run with no phone today was really nice, and I seem to actually have more data from just that watch + Garmin HRM Run than from all of hte apps on the phone and other HRM (and that Wahoo TickrX captures more data than most other HRM's). As I unlock more capabilities of using this watch I will probably like it even more. If I keep my phone paired with it I can gain quite a bit, but really that defeats the main selling point for me, being able to ditch the phone!