Ladies - do you gain weight during YTOTM?

Options
2»

Replies

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I gain 3-5 lbs the days before and the first day or two during. Then, I whoosh. If I'm having a good month, I'll actually end up whooshing to the point where I come out of it lighter than I was going in.

I will say this question gets posted here quite often. Although there is a majority that follows what I've described, there are tons of exceptions. Some women will gain extreme amounts of water weight, but some women won't gain anything at all.

Just pointing this out so that you don't get discouraged if your body follows a different pattern.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I normally do. But this week I started on Sat night and Monday's weigh day. I was worried about the number this week. Instead I saw a 4lb loss. I'm somewhat confused but I'll take it!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I weigh every single day.

For me.....i lose weight in the second half if my cycle. So a day or two before i get my period, I am usually up an average of 3-5#. That stays (wavering between 3-5#) until I ovulate. The day of ovulation, it spikes an additional 2-3#. The day after i ovulate i start to lose weight rapidly (as long as i have been in a deficit throughout my cycle). I lose around 10-15lbs over 15ish days. Thats an actual loss of around 5lbs a month....but all the water weight (5-8#) from my period and ovulation comes off too. Then it spikes up 3-5# and i know my period is due any day.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    its water weight and not real weight, but yes.

and mine sticks around for 2 weeks. the other 2 weeks i lose. LOL
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    its water weight and not real weight, but yes.

and mine sticks around for 2 weeks. the other 2 weeks i lose. LOL

Glad im not the only one!
  • 303lissy
    303lissy Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    This is making me feel so much better... I had a really great deficient last night, ate well, went to bed early, and poof! An extra 2 1/2 lbs on the scale this morning :(

Anyone have any suggestions that help them either not gain or gain less weight during YTOTM?
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I gain a little. What usually happens with me is that I just don't lose for a week to 10 days. After that, I drop like, 2 pounds literally over night.

As far as not gaining, try not to give in to PMS food cravings. Also, just know your body will retain water and you will either stop losing or gain a bit every month. BUT when it's all over, you should see a dramatic drop! That drop is the thought that keeps me motivated to stay on my plan.
  • Jonna13
    Jonna13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Yup, and I usually gain 2-3lbs, but that falls off (plus usually another lb) when my tom is finished. I also gain 2-3 lbs during ovulation. I just ignore it as it's almost always just water retention and not actual weight gain.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I dont weigh at all during this time. I dont really crave much in regards to food but I dont really ever feel like being active which sucks. I bloat like a beached whale and want to slap a lot of people. So I try not to cause any additional emotional stress on myself with the scale. lol
  • zbakrjc
    zbakrjc Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. Ignore the scale that week. It's just water weight. You can get a similar effect eating a lot of rice or carbs or salty food and staying within your calorie goal. I just skip the scale that week and don't worry about it.

zbakrjc
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Watching the pounds fluctuate is an exercise in frustration if you ask me. It's not like it's real fat pounding on or dribbling off. It's water.

Why try and control water weight? Might as well go down to the beach and scoop out the ocean one handful at a time. It is what it is.

The power, control, and confidence comes from sticking to the plan week after week and see your weight trend downward (perhaps weighing once a week just to get a sense of things). There are some nice weight trending apps out there.

Fitness goals IMO are also fairly good at keeping my confidence up.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I go up during ovulation and lose weight in a whoosh during my period and it stays that way until ovulation again.
    This was my last cycle:
    4w.png
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    It's just a nitpick, but I don't GAIN weight from TOM, I RETAIN water. To me, looking at it this way makes a difference.

But yes, I also see the scale tick up during ovulation and then whoosh down at the end of menstruation.
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    5-7 lbs each and every time. Really happy all that is behind me now.

Same amount. It's all bloating for me, and it's so bad that pants will tighten!!!!

I get terrible hunger and cravings, but I try to allow for them with calories. If I don't have enough to indulge, I will find a similar substitute that is within my cals.

My TOM is super funky, especially now that I've had my second kiddo a year ago, I'm done breast feeding as of a few months ago, and I'm losing weight.
  • 303lissy
    303lissy Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Anybody have experience with gaining weight on their period while having an IUD? I'm still within the first six months of getting mine so my body hasn't fully adjusted yet.
  • GeordieLaforge
    GeordieLaforge Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I usually gain 5 to 8 pounds the day before my period and it stays there for about 4 or 5 days then drops right back off again. I only log my weight once a month immediately after my period (at my lightest) that way I only see a downward trend ha. The fluctuations drive me bananas otherwise :tongue:
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Usually 2-3 lbs for about 4-5 days.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    No. I don't gain weight when I'm menstruating.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    It's just water weight and goes away. It's not like eating a few pieces (notice I said "a few") or a cheeseburger, or a few french fries for one day is going to undo months of hard work. This month, I gave in to the pizza craving and still lost a pound in the end.