What's a very filling breakfast ?

Options

Replies

• punkyb07
    punkyb07 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Light English Muffin (Roast Beef, Laughing Cow Cheese Spread) with Banana it's only about 315 calories. Fills me up (at least until snack time).
  • mis1022
    mis1022 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats almost every day, keeps me feeling full. I do have a snack before lunch but I notice that is most days when I am at work sitting at my desk. When I am home I don't need the snack, but snacking at my desk has been a habit for a while now, so I just fit it in my calories for the day.
  • KpopGrad92
    KpopGrad92 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My breakfast varies day to day. When I know I need to stay full for a while I like to do a half serving of oatmeal with fresh fruit like berries and half a banana, protein shake, and some almonds or maybe some nut butter. My other go to is multigrain toast with nut butter and then the rest of my breakfast calories go towards as much fresh fruit as possible and maybe a yogurt with protein, I like the light and fit greek.
  • VeganMotoGirl
    VeganMotoGirl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have been vegan since 2013 and one of my favorites is a big bowl of hash browns with peppers and chickpeas with hot sauce. I just use the frozen shredded potatoes, season and bake them to skip the excess oil. So good and so filling!!! I also eat oatmeal with fresh fruit quite often, but I just use quick oats because I can't be bothered to remember to soak things overnight. Haha. Then there is always just eating the leftovers from dinner the night before. =) I would not worry too much about low calorie but I just 'try' to keep the fats low, and remember carbs are not the enemy on a vegan diet.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast often but when I do it's usually one of three choices, all of which are enough to fill me up for a long day of work outside.
    Pancakes with maple syrup and peanut butter - I make buckwheat pancakes, add an extra egg and a few nuts
    French toast with maple syrup - I use high fiber bread and thoroughly soak with egg.
    Eggs, toast and fruit - 2 fried or boiled eggs, high fiber toast with butter, usually some type of melon

When I eat breakfast it's usually a day when we will be working outside all day (we have a farm) and I often won't have a chance to eat again until evening.
  • localgrr
    localgrr Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I just use the frozen shredded potatoes, season and bake them to skip the excess oil.
    I'm not actually vegan but try it whenever I can. This sounds great ! Is this shredded potato you've frozen yourself ? How do they stick together? Thanks
  • jodi3357
    jodi3357 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Protein is the key for me. Eggs, chicken, frozen cooked meatballs, And veggies, my choice of breakfast.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    My new favorite breakfast. Scrambled eggs (2) in a tortilla with avocado, shredded cheddar, and salsa (or sriracha). Very delicious and filling.
  • grace914
    grace914 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the good ideas (especially yours, Terpnista84). I really need to start eating eggs again. I always waste them though. I can only eat them for a few days in a row and I get paranoid on how long I can leave hard boiled eggs in the fridge.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal with greek yogurt, a few almonds, and some fruit. Eggs are also great.
  • mrsbrown1230
    mrsbrown1230 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I personally use a meal replacement shake - Nutrient Dense/Low Calorie. High protein will certainly keep you full. Fruit and Veggies are great, I find raw more filling than cooked.
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    Eggs and beans. I like overeasy eggs on top of a serving of small red or black beans, but a scramble with beans with maybe with some veggies and a little cheese too in a low cal wrap would be easier for transport. Good with salsa or hot sauce.
    You could also microwave a scramble pretty easily if you can keep eggs or a carton of egg whites at work.

I usually have a protein bar for breakfast, but if it would be a good while before I could eat again I would probably have to choose a protein like eggs bulked out with beans and/or veg instead.

You just gave me a great idea! I make a veggie scramble with a little cheese every day at work. Now I'm going to add black beans!!

When I chop enough veggies for the week, it takes me about 5 minutes to do that (microwave) and a piece of toast with peanut butter.

I've weaned myself off of adding a little butter to the eggs. Still can't let go of the cheese.

Now I'm thinking that if I add black beans to my scramble, maybe I can wean myself from the peanut butter toast!! I love love love peanut butter toast on Dave's Killer Bread 21 Whole Grains.

• laurasheldon92
    laurasheldon92 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs can be kept in the fridge for about a week. I like eggs, but not all the time. When I buy eggs, I eat one about every other day the first week and a half, then I boil the rest and put one in my salad. I eat salad for lunch everyday and the added protein is a great addition. You should look for the half dozen cartons - less of a commitment. :smile:
  • Vanyahiril
    Vanyahiril Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal with peanut butter & blueberries. And cinnamon, because, yum!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,926 Member
    Options
    localgrr wrote: »
    I used to just eat a huge filled roll for breakfast which would fill me up for a good 3-4 hours. Now I'm on a health kick I have a nice nutty, not too sugary musili - but it isn't very filling. I prefer to have a late lunch as it splits the day up nicely. Can anyone recommend a very filling breakfast, low calorie of course - that would be fairly easy for me to have at work. Thanks!

Sounds like your muesli has the carbs and fat bases covered, but what about protein? And how many calories is it total?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    All the macros with some soluble fiber too. I try and shoot for 400 calories at breakfast. Like maybe your old stuffed roll with a whole wheat bun, cut in half.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Oh, and a new oatmeal tip I just learned.... Add a couple of Tbs of PB2, the kind with chocolate in it. Low calorie addition that reminds me of chocolate oatmeal cookies!!
  • Megthechef43
    Megthechef43 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I like to fix an oatmeal pancake. 1 egg, 1/4 cup rolled outs, peanut and syrup to garnish. It has protein and fiber and I feel like it helps me through the morning.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    localgrr wrote: »
    I used to just eat a huge filled roll for breakfast which would fill me up for a good 3-4 hours. Now I'm on a health kick I have a nice nutty, not too sugary musili - but it isn't very filling. I prefer to have a late lunch as it splits the day up nicely. Can anyone recommend a very filling breakfast, low calorie of course - that would be fairly easy for me to have at work. Thanks!

I like to have 3 scrambled eggs and 1/3-1/2 cup of oatmeal, keeps me reasonablly full till lunch and a fair amount of protein.
  • ErynVee
    ErynVee Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Eggs really fill me up better than just about anything else. Sometimes I'll bake some egg muffins (you can put anything in them.. any type of cheese or veggie), and have 2 of those, or I'll make my own egg breakfast sandwich with a side of fruit.