Food to me is like alcohol to an alcoholic

Options

Replies

• Jzuba75
    Jzuba75 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    IF you are like me, there is no such thing as moderation. It's one bite = slippery slide to eventual Binge City OR nothing. IF you are like me, then I recommend giving up on moderation. IF food to you really is like alcohol to an alcoholic, then the writing is on the wall. Alcoholics don't go to a bar for "just one drink."

Give our culture a big fat middle finger and refuse to buy in to "food is love," "food is required to celebrate," "a calorie is a calorie." It's a lie (for me anyway). Whatever your trigger foods are DON'T.TOUCH.THEM.EVER.AGAIN. And grieve that fact. It's a loss. It's really f***ing sad. Here's my sad face for our loss :-(

But if those foods stand between you and your goal then they must go. Give them the boot. Just say no. Work it you're worth it! One day at a time. Let go and let ... oh, well, you get my point.

I hope this doesn't sound critical, this is the only thing that has actually worked for me, so it's all I can recommend.
    IF you are like me, there is no such thing as moderation. It's one bite = slippery slide to eventual Binge City OR nothing. IF you are like me, then I recommend giving up on moderation. IF food to you really is like alcohol to an alcoholic, then the writing is on the wall. Alcoholics don't go to a bar for "just one drink."

Give our culture a big fat middle finger and refuse to buy in to "food is love," "food is required to celebrate," "a calorie is a calorie." It's a lie (for me anyway). Whatever your trigger foods are DON'T.TOUCH.THEM.EVER.AGAIN. And grieve that fact. It's a loss. It's really f***ing sad. Here's my sad face for our loss :-(

But if those foods stand between you and your goal then they must go. Give them the boot. Just say no. Work it you're worth it! One day at a time. Let go and let ... oh, well, you get my point.

I hope this doesn't sound critical, this is the only thing that has actually worked for me, so it's all I can recommend.

Not critical at all. Sweets are my triggers. Cannot have them around me. Opened Girl Scout cookies yesterday for a few, before you know it, the bag was gone!

I appreciate all the feed back. I know I'm not alone in the world, just good to hear all the other struggles and how they overcame them.
  • jennyb319
    jennyb319 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Jzuba75 wrote: »
    Needing help. Needing encouragement. Not negativity and a beating please. I was 14 lbs away from my goal weight, and then I fell off the wagon. Just one little bite of something pleasurful. I will do that in moderation for a while, then as the days go by I tell my self that 1 more bite won't hurt and then followed with, I'll start tomorrow. However tomorrow never comes. I find myself hiding when I eat after dinner, when I'm snacking, I destroy the evidence. I am in self destruct mode. I work in the medical field, I understand how the body works. I hear it everyday. My boss is a triathlete, an iron man. Calories in, calories out. Drink more water, exercise more. It's also hard to loose weight when I tell people how much I weigh, they are shocked. They say that there is no way I could weigh that, or that I carry it so well. Well, today I just hit the 200 mark. A number I swore I'd never reach. I want to cry, but I won't. Today is a new day, like everyday. I have to get on track, I have to make this work. If anyone has been where I am. Please share your story. Let's motivate and support each other. Together, we can do this.

Wow.. It sounds like you just pulled this right out of my head!
  • Jzuba75
    Options
    gim101 wrote: »
    Hi, I had a similar issue with junk food. I totally knew I shouldn't be eating it but it was always,"one more won't hurt". I then read two books recently by Jason Vale, "how to stop eating chocolate the easy way" and "slim for life" (I got them from the library so it didn't even cost me anything) then watched a documentary called "Hungry for Change". It completely changed the way I thought about food and has helped me not to want the junk. I am steadily losing weight now and can resist easily even when my partner is munching on chocolate next to me! Whether you try this or not good luck! Go for it! You can totally do this! Feel free to friend me :)

Awesome. I will check into this.

• DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    Jack_NYC wrote: »
    I was 14 lbs away from my goal weight, and then I fell off the wagon.

You have it harder than an alcoholic. An alcoholic in recovery can stop drinking entirely, but a compulsive overeater in recover cannot stop eating entirely.

Apparently you also have it harder than a meth addict as well.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

You have it harder than an alcoholic. An alcoholic in recovery can stop drinking entirely, but a compulsive overeater in recover cannot stop eating entirely.

No.
  • Jzuba75
    Options
    DYELB wrote: »

Apparently you also have it harder than a meth addict as well.

Well...don't think I'd go that far.
  • FitFoodie95
    FitFoodie95 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem. One little bite turns into a dozen servings of chocolate, cookies, or anything loaded with carbs and sugar. I went to a few OA meetings for a binge eating problem..If you're a determined person with strong spiritual beliefs, it can help tremendously, but it didn't do the trick for me. I found that what helps the most is not keeping any trigger foods in the house and staying busy. Like the posts above mentioned, moderation doesn't always work for everyone.
  • Jzuba75
    Options
    I have the exact same problem. One little bite turns into a dozen servings of chocolate, cookies, or anything loaded with carbs and sugar. I went to a few OA meetings for a binge eating problem..If you're a determined person with strong spiritual beliefs, it can help tremendously, but it didn't do the trick for me. I found that what helps the most is not keeping any trigger foods in the house and staying busy. Like the posts above mentioned, moderation doesn't always work for everyone.

I may check online for the OA site. I know it's a sign of binging when I go into the next room to not be seen eating. It's hard not to keep any sweets in the house. I do have a 5 year old. However- hers IS giving in moderation and not given as rewards. I think that's part of our problem today? Sad, lets eat. Happy, lets eat. Job well done, lets celebrate and eat. We've all fallen victim of it. Time to break the cycle.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advise. It does make since to omit 1 thing at a time. I need to stay if the scale. That's my biggest down fall too. As long as it's moving in the right direction, I do great, but the minute I see if go the otherway, I get discouraged. Baby steps. It will get done.

Try creating an account on Trend weight. What you need to look for is the overall TREND of your weight loss, because weight loss is not linear. But if you record you weight for a couple months and look at a graph, if you can draw a line from start to finish and it's going down, you're doing fine. It takes time, which is hard, but it will help when you see it.
  • Jack_NYC
    Jack_NYC Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »

No.

No? So you think a compulsive overeater can stop eating entirely? What would they live on?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    Chips! I can't have just one. Find your trigger foods.

I did that and I embraced mine and conquered it. I think you need to keep a huge stock of your trigger food in your house and enjoy it in moderation to conquer it.

anigif_enhanced-6772-1444770727-2.gif
  • JourneyToHealthierMe
    Options
    You just told my story! But you can get back on track. You sound like a very strong person. We all fall sometimes the important fact is that you get back up! I cleaned house...that is what worked for me. I emptied cabinets of all the bad stuff and fridge and freezer. It feels like a fresh start when you do that. I dont recommend the following but it works for me...so may work for you. I tempt myself...at my local Tom Thumb...that is my trigger; the bakery corner...OMG. But I restarted my diet this week so I went in Weds and again Friday and purposely passed AND looked at the Banana Pie and the Coconut Pie that I usually crab and kept walking. It made me feel proud and oddly enough I believe it gave me a little boost of motivation. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! <3:)
  • gim101
    gim101 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

I may check online for the OA site. I know it's a sign of binging when I go into the next room to not be seen eating. It's hard not to keep any sweets in the house. I do have a 5 year old. However- hers IS giving in moderation and not given as rewards. I think that's part of our problem today? Sad, lets eat. Happy, lets eat. Job well done, lets celebrate and eat. We've all fallen victim of it. Time to break the cycle. [/quote]

Yep, the emotional link to food was my problem too :)
  • ginny159
    ginny159 Posts: 3 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I have been 200+ pounds since I had my 4 year old daughter. It has been 4 years of eating whatever I wanted and here I am, 31, prediabetic and not taking control of my health. Since Feb 12th of this year, I have been eating the right foods and keeping to my calorie goals. I have focused more on my diet then exercise at the moment--although I have upped my exercise to 30 min walking daily, and 20 mins of cycling every other day--with strength training. And I did trip up Saturday and have a cupcake (sweets are my trigger too). I record everything I eat using this app and I also have a scale (WeightGuru) that I use everyday to record my weight, bmi, water mass, muscle mass, etc and it syncs directly into my phone. I have found that if I track everything and be honest with myself, then I am more successful.

I was just like you--eating sweets secretly, woofing down 6 cupcakes, eating new york style pizza every week, hardly eating veggies. Terrible, just terrible. My first week monitoring my diet, I ate more fruit because I wanted to satisfy my sweet tooth. I keep to that mentality--grab a fruit for sweets. And since my slip up on Saturday I have been doing good--that day, I didn't go over my calorie goal, but I didn't eat well and I could tell. In almost 3 weeks I am down 11.5 pounds.

Feel free to add me as a friend--we can help each other!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

No.

No? So you think a compulsive overeater can stop eating entirely? What would they live on?

You and I have such an obvious disparity of reasoning regarding this subject that it's not even worth either of us trying to convince one or the other.

You think over eaters have it harder than alcoholics.

I think that's a laughable assertion.

Let's leave it at that.
  • razzjam334
    razzjam334 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think I'm a Binge eater
  • razzjam334
    razzjam334 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I lose then lose control gain ten pound in a week then lose I feel stuck
  • IsaCaliBel
    IsaCaliBel Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Agree. Although the addiction mindset is the same, as an alcoholic you do have the option to stay away from your addiction. Even though it's very difficult, alcohol is still option. Food is not.
  • ltssharon
    ltssharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Yep, forgive yourself. We all have weaknesses. You have just motivated me to pitch the stupid brownies a "friend" brought over. Tired of saving them for hubby and looking at them. Also the "shrimp chips" another family brought over, not to mention the "400 gold dollar chocolates" another friend brought over. GEEZ!!!!!
  • Jzuba75
    Options

No.

Was that question for me? Or did I miss a post?