Moms! How do you do it?!

Options
As a mom of three I'm having a really hard time finding the motivation to exercise! All three of my LOs are 5 and under and when I have a moment to myself the last thing I want to do is exercise. Well I want to but like I said, finding the motivation is the hard part. How do you find the time/motivation? Help! Tips or tricks? Feel free to add me!

Replies

• tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    If you have a treadmill or elliptical, put it in front of the tv. If not, just look up tv show workouts. You can catch up on your favorite shows while still getting your workout in!
  • seasonsdreams
    seasonsdreams Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the "tv show workouts" i just googled and saw some good ones on pinterest.
  • razzjam334
    razzjam334 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Get the kids in the car tell them it's time to go on a nature walk fond a pretty place to get out and go for a nice long walk
  • seasonsdreams
    seasonsdreams Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Lol. We have 4 feet of snow where I am. Plus it's super stressful trying to get a 1 year old 3 year old and 5 year old out the door all by myself. Can't wait for winter to be over! No more snow suits!
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the "tv show workouts" i just googled and saw some good ones on pinterest.

You're very welcome! :)
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    First thing in the morning before they awake, like 4am because I also have to be to work by 8am. Getting up that early is tough I usually lay my clothing out the night before and have a talk with myself (in my head, lol) about how bad I want this. That way its done and there are no excuses after work. Oh I also have a 1 year old and 4 year old.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    My 3 LO's are 19, 20 and 22 now but I remember the days of having 3 under 5. When my kids were that age most of my exercise revolved around them - silly dancing to Elmo songs, doing Gymboree videos, running around the playground, dragging them through the snow on a sled or pushing them in a wagon. bonus - they sleep better. When my oldest turned 5, we signed up for a karate class together and hubby had the other 2. Now when they come home from college we still find time to go on long walk and talks. Build bonds through exercise now that will last a lifetime.
  • artzymummy
    artzymummy Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have a 1 year old and a possibly autistic 2 year old and to be honest I simply got mad one day and said enough is enough. My boys are my inspiration, I'm 33 with babies and I intend to be around as long as possible for them and for myself. The time I take to work out and eat right is really the only time I take for myself at this point.

And I completely understand the frustration of snowsuits! Even if I got them dressed to go for a walk, our weather has been a mess these last few months and the streets are ice.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I think a big thing is just *really* wanting it. For so long, I'd get that "me" time and want to just melt into the sofa, and then would get frustrated that I had NO TIME to exercise, etc. I had to hit that point where I wanted it bad enough that I WAS motivated do move once I got the time. It was really hard, because relaxing is in my blood, lol. But after a little while, I started looking forward to it, which was a HUGE change for me.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 year old and a 5 year old. I know exactly how you feel. Once your obligations to your kids are over it pisses you off to have another commitment on your time.

I have found that hubby and kids are actually very respectful of my "workout time" I've really come to enjoy it as 30-60 minutes of me time. I put on some rocking music and go for a run or lift or I'll read a book on the elliptical. It's really good stress release.

It's also important to pick the time of day you want to work out. Many people like to get up early and go, but there is way too much kid drama in my house in the mornings for that to work for me. I tried it and it just added another level of stress. I either go on my lunch break (we have a gym in my office building) or I go after my kids are in bed. It's a great way to decompress.
  • TeresaGooby
    TeresaGooby Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat- 3 kids 4(almost 5), 3 and 1. At first it was hard for me to find time, I kept making excuses but then I realized how important it is for me to be healthy for my kids. I started waking up 10 minutes earlier every couple days to get in a workout before they woke up. So at first it was just 20 minute workouts and after about a month I was getting up at 545 with no problem and getting in at least an hour workout. Sometimes they wake up before I am done but they just dit on the couch and talk to me while I finish, sometimes they join in. After a couple months I have noticed a huge difference in my endurance, which is providing me more motivation- knowing I can do way more activities with the kids without getting wore out.
  • cwolfgram
    cwolfgram Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have a 5-year-old and an almost 2-year-old. I usually work out at 5 in the morning. Also, the 5-year-old loves doing exercise videos with me.
  • Adah_m
    Adah_m Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    My gym has free childcare. I have a 5 month old and I go to the gym immediately after dropping him off at daycare, but if your kids don't go to school or daycare during a time that you could get to the gym, it's an option. I haven't taken my baby to my gym's childcare center yet because I get 5 workouts in during the week when he's at daycare, but I might if I ever need to get in a quick workout on the weekend. So far on the weekends I've been getting away with getting a nice calorie burn from cleaning and doing all my chores for the week and also from going on walks with the baby in the stroller. I get that it's hard while it's cold outside but once it warms up do you have parks where you live that you could go to? I know some moms too who just spell it out for their kids, that from a certain time to a certain time, mom is exercising and they are not allowed to interrupt except for emergencies. Then the kids go play in their room or entertain themselves for a half an hour. I know it's tough with kids that age, but maybe if you set the expectation and enforce it that exercise time is "mom is off limits" time, they will be okay for 30 minutes. Also, I know some moms are anti-tv but if you're not, I find that a 30 minute baby Einstein video keeps my baby very calm and entertained if I need a shower or to cook something without holding him. My sister used to do pilates in her livingroom after she had her son and he would just sit on the floor next to her and play happily with his little toys or try to imitate her movements while she did the 25 minute dvd workout. All kids are different, all moms are different, so you have to just find what works for you. If it's a priority to you though you'll have to be firm and make your household respect that your exercise is not up for debate. I had to do that about diet with mine.
    To be completely honest, working out has so many benefits not just for the body but for the brain now too, they're discovering, but if your goal is weight loss and you can't get in frequent workouts during the winter, don't sweat it. Diet is 90%. You CAN lose weight without working out.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    9c45b250-4505-0133-8ec1-0e17bac22e39.gif?
  • 1Nana2many
    1Nana2many Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My daughter has three children, two under school-age, and runs a daycare in her home. I filled in for her the other day when she took the three year old to preschool eval. After picking up toys and before lunch we turned on some Youtube kid's exercise videos and danced to several songs while waiting for lunch. It sure felt like exercise to me and what a great way to get your kids involved in moving! Even my not quite one year old granddaughter was dancing along and we were all having fun!
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Maybe something you and the kids could do together inside wile there is snow?

http://www.amazon.com/DanceX-Dance-Exercise-Great-Music/dp/B00CNTZ1BY/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv

Many articles with ideas for moms if you do a search for "workouts for mom and small children".

• Stepmom1
    Stepmom1 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    As a mom of three I'm having a really hard time finding the motivation to exercise! All three of my LOs are 5 and under and when I have a moment to myself the last thing I want to do is exercise. Well I want to but like I said, finding the motivation is the hard part. How do you find the time/motivation? Help! Tips or tricks? Feel free to add me!

I can totally relate... I just somehow do... Try to think of your workouts as a routine that you HAVE to do.. like brushing your teeth in the morning.. I make the time right after I drop off my youngest at school.. and under my clothes, I already have my workout clothes on.. so I just get right to it when I get back home. I do videos at home so I just have to follow the video and am done.. I try not too think about it too much. Also, pick a program that you will like.. if you try something that you don't really like, you may not stick with it.

Like me for example: I love weights. So I choose programs that use weights as part of the main routine.. I am not into dancing or major impact cardio, so I stay away from that..

Mix it up too.. Change the order of things... As a famous trainer says: "Variety is the spice of life!"

• Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    9c45b250-4505-0133-8ec1-0e17bac22e39.gif?

It's biological (not sexist...just different), and statistical (but you men are working on this one and the stats are changing, so Kudos!)

According to pew, women still spend twice as much time taking care of kids per week, and almost twice as much time doing housework. So needing to know how to get exercise in w/ kids around, it is not surprising that she asks someone of her own gender.

Infants are literally dependent on mothers' bodies to live, unless they are in the very unfortunate position of having to use formula. And yes, breast-pumping takes time too.

Second...she just grew and formed another human life in her body. That's a *kitten**ng beautiful and intense thing...and one that can be fattening, stressful, and a total hormonal roller-coaster. It is more than just TIME management...it is about managing a post-birth body.
  • monaacker223
    monaacker223 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I get up 2 hrs before everyone else.5 am I get up have a cup of coffee,then workout by 6 I take a shower and start breakfast.its hard and doesn't work everyday but most days.
  • Init_to_winit
    Init_to_winit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to maybe try and find a local class that you can get into that you could maybe just find at least one or two nights a week. I go to a crossfit gym right after work. My daycare can keep her late those days (but maybe you could enlist your husband, parents, etc to sacrifice a bit of their time), I get the workout in before the hectic-ness of coming home hits and I'm just exhausted. Honestly once you start working out routinely, it becomes harder to not work out! Hopefully you can find something, a cardio, kickboxing, crossfit, yoga, whatever class. Don't be afraid to try something new! Usually you can try any class for free at least once!