How often do you weigh in?

Options
After a long hiatus, I'm diving back into MFP hard core - food scale, carrying a set of measuring spoons with me, the works.

Just curious - how often do you weigh in? Is there a time of day you prefer? Because I can get obsessive, I've limited myself to first thing Monday/Friday mornings only.

Replies

• LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I weigh in about once a month. While I do want to see weight go down, it is not an important enough descriptive for me to buy my own scale. Plus if I had one I would be obsessive about it and get depressed any time there wasn't a positive change. I always weigh in first thing in the morning.
  • donnacervelli11
    donnacervelli11 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I know. My digital scale is in my bathroom and occasionally I'll be mean to myself and step on right after a big meal.

Curious - how do you measure your weight loss instead?
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day so I'm able to see a trend. I started doing this so I could see how my period/water retention effected my loss. I know I'm always heavier at that time. It's really worked for me, you just have to remember not to let a bit of a gain throw you off. I have an iPhone and use an app called Happy Scale. I love it.

Everybody is different in their preference. Try a few things and see what works best for you.
  • scarletrayne19
    scarletrayne19 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I weight first thing in the morning when I get up, naked, after going to the restroom, while my shower is warming up. I'm a scientist though so I enjoy having a plethora of data and +/- 5 lb fluctuations don't make me crazy. As my organic chem professor once said "It's all about TRENDS"
  • revolucia78
    revolucia78 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday as well, first thing in the morning after I use the bathroom. I used to weigh myself once or twice a week but I prefer logging myself everyday but like the previous poster mentioned, you have to make sure that you don't get thrown off my weight fluctuations.
  • donnacervelli11
    Options
    Good to know - I find that I always have a pretty large fluctuation in weight during my period too. I always gain about 5 - 6lbs and it's disconcerting to say the least.

Good tip about Happy Scale, I'll check that out.

For those of you who do weigh every day, do you log your weight into MFP every day as well?
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I love the daily data. Really has helped take away my obsession actually, I don't worry about it as much as I did on a weekly weigh. I do put mine into MFP daily, but not everyone does.
  • revolucia78
    Options
    Good to know - I find that I always have a pretty large fluctuation in weight during my period too. I always gain about 5 - 6lbs and it's disconcerting to say the least.

For those of you who do weigh every day, do you log your weight into MFP every day as well?

I just synced my scale with MFP so now it records every time I reached a new low. Before that I used to log only when I saw a new low at least two days in a row.
  • ldowdesw
    ldowdesw Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm an every morning gal too.. Straight after the bathroom and naked!! I lay in bed excited that I might of lost 1lb so it's what gets me up at 6am..
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, but I only record the weight on Monday. The daily weigh-ins are more to keep myself in check than anything else.
  • scottsull7
    scottsull7 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Weigh every day and log into Happy Scale...only log into MFP on Mondays. Great to see trends and not get worked up over small fluctuations. Also takes pressure off of that single weigh-in each week.
  • donnacervelli11
    Options
    scottsull7 wrote: »
    Weigh every day and log into Happy Scale...only log into MFP on Mondays. Great to see trends and not get worked up over small fluctuations. Also takes pressure off of that single weigh-in each week.

That's a great tip. Thanks!
  • donnacervelli11
    Options
    I weigh myself every day so I'm able to see a trend. I started doing this so I could see how my period/water retention effected my loss. I know I'm always heavier at that time. It's really worked for me, you just have to remember not to let a bit of a gain throw you off. I have an iPhone and use an app called Happy Scale. I love it.

Everybody is different in their preference. Try a few things and see what works best for you.

Oh! I love Happy Scale already. Thank you!
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options

Sure! I put my weight in Happy Scale Daily but only record my weight on MFP weekly.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Weigh every day and log in Libra. Only update mfp every few pounds to update calories.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. Keeps me sane and accountable.
  • revolucia78
    Options

Oh! I love Happy Scale already. Thank you!

I just got it too, such an awesome app!
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Every morning before I eat. It helps me to stay on track and not cheat that day.
  • claire52975
    claire52975 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Everyday, and log in fluctuations even it its only up or down 0.1lb! I like to look at the graph as it shows that although I may go up 0.1+ lbs every now and again - overall I'm still loosing weight in the long run... And actually learn to not be put off with slight weight gain fluctuations :)
  • dalem54494
    dalem54494 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Every morning for me.