Anyone know a light or lower fat ranch dressing that doesn't taste like death?

Options

Replies

• SeptemberFeyre
    SeptemberFeyre Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just me, but I like Kraft Ranch Lite. Kraft salad dressings are way better than Hidden Valley IMHO.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    as others said you can make your own... i go a step above the hidden valley mix and i make my own mix. Butter milk powder, dried chives, dried dill, dried chopped onions, garlic and onion powder and mix it with greek yogurt :)
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Bolthouse makes a decent tasting lower calorie yogurt based ranch (located in the refrigerated produce section).

This one! It's the only low cal ranch that I actually like the taste of. I think its only around 20 calories a table spoon.
  • ashleyjongepier
    ashleyjongepier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Flavor God Ranch seasoning and greek yogurt!
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I like the yogurt dressings sold in the produce department (refrigerated ones). Depending on brand and flavor, they're around 40-70 cals per 2Tbsp serving.

Agree. Opa and Bolthouse
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Echoing the commenters above. Bolthouse Ranch is very good, I actually prefer it over any of the Kraft/Hidden Valley full fat ones, much less greasy tasting.
  • TheLittleRedHairedGirl
    Options
    Hidden Valley Ranch makes a mix especially for Greek Yogurt. It's really good.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I cut it 1/2 and 1/2 with cultured buttermilk. Reduces the calories by 1/3 and still tastes like Ranch Buttermilk dressing.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Agree with making your own.

I do one ranch packet, one 5.3 oz container of fat free greek yogurt, one 8 oz container of light sour cream, and then about 1/4-1/2C lowfat buttermilk depending on how thin I want it (mine's on the thick side usually, if you want it more of a pourable consistency then you'll want a bit more buttermilk than even the 1/2C, or you could use regular milk instead because that's a lot thinner), and then I add just a bit of extra garlic powder and some chopped fresh parsley and chives (all to taste). I weigh mine for servings, but you end up with about 15-18 calories per tablespoon. For me, I have to get just the right ingredients - normally I'm ALL about Aldi and store brands and such, but this particular thing MUST be the Hidden Valley packet, Daisy Light sour cream, and Fage yogurt. Best "light" ranch I've ever had - it's not all sugary and fake tasting like the stuff in a bottle.
  • Adah_m
    Adah_m Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I dress my salads with malt vinegar, seasonings, and a little olive oil, but if you really like a creamy dressing you can make your own with plain greek yogurt and ranch seasoning mix. It even has protein so it can help you feel satisfied longer even. I wouldn't user sour cream personally because yogurt has probiotics and protein that sour cream doesn't.
    I use greek yogurt to make home made tzatziki to dip veggies in all the time and I love it.
  • Me2FitMe
    Me2FitMe Posts: 1,284 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the yogurt kind? It's decent... and like a 1/3 of the cals if I remember correctly...
  • wdnisbet
    wdnisbet Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Like so many, I suggest you make your own. I like a little less tart than you get with yogurt or buttermilk, so I do this:

Hidden Valley ranch dressing powder mix.
    1 cup 1% lowfat milk
    1 cup light mayonnaise.

Very easy. Tastes good
  • bonneboo
    bonneboo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Make your own. Light or fat free sour cream, hidden valley ranch mix (its powder in a packet at the grocery store) and a bit of water to get to the consistency you like.

YES! The best this way
  • valzippy
    valzippy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The Hidden Valley Ranch Light is delicious. They didn't make it sweet to make up for the decreased fat like many other brands.
  • Cammi6
    Cammi6 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like Boathouse Ranch, yogurt dressing. I also add a little bit of chopped jalapenos to it from time to time to give it a kick.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Here is a recipe for ranch mix without any salt or nasty additives:

2T dried parsley
    1t dried dill
    1t garlic powder
    1 1/2t dried onion or onion powder
    1/2t dried basil
    1/2 t black pepper

It is very good mixed with Greek yogurt, sour cream, crema Mexicana, mayo or any combination thereof.
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Best advise if find recipes online and make it yourself, the creme part can be substituted with different yogurts for lower calories. I have been experimenting with own dressings that use balsamic but all the recipes call for ridiculous amount of oil, I learned that mustard can be used as thickening agent instead of oil. I made a recipe of my own that only used 1tbsp of oil in entire cup and half serving of dressing. Once

Here is a recipe that is 64 cals for 2 tbsp and it's 5 star rated.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/light-ranch-recipe.html

This one is 200 calories for cup and half, that is 8 cals per tablespoon, it has almost 5 star rating:
    http://showmetheyummy.com/homemade-greek-yogurt-ranch-dressing/

This one is also 5 star rated and is only 13.4 cals per 2 tablespoons and makes 16 servings:
    https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=118898

Experiment until you find something you like!
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse is my all time favorite- for light dressings. Their ranch is da bomb
  • madeleinekagy
    madeleinekagy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hidden Valley has a packet that makes Greek Yogurt Ranch Dressing. I use Fage 2% Greek Yogurt to make it and it is very good! There are only 20 calories in 2 Tablespoons! I make half of the packet at a time, since I am the only one using it, that way it stays fresh.