Hysterectomy and Lack of Weight Loss

Options
Good Day my fellow fit friends..

I seem to have hit a wall... Its been 7 years since surgery and i still fight so hard to even lose a pound.
I literally work out each day.., for at least an hour and half.. count my calories... eat good. I am not lazy.. i do work a desk job but i make sure to get up each hour.. Since this has been a long journey for me, weight gain is nothing new to me. But even with my doctors help.. we cant seem to combat the weight gain.

I am not a quitter.. but some days.. i just dont care if i lose the weight or not. But i am not ok at this weight.. i have never been this heavy in my life up until now.

I dont know what else to do.

If anyone has successfully lost weight after hysterectomy and its been a few years.. let me know what helps...

all of our bodies are different.. but hints and tips may help keep me focused on the weight loss.. then maybe someday i can actually lose...

Thanks and i am wishing you all a great day!

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I'll assume that there are no issues with your calorie and exercise logging, despite that being the common reason why people fail to lose weight, and ask if you have had your thyroid and hormone levels checked?
  • Mizfenton
    Mizfenton Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Nope no issues with logging. do that daily.
    My hormones appear to be fine.. they are checked every 6 months. My Thyroid has always been on the low side so i take medication for that.. my levels also appear to be fine.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    You're eating more than you think and too much to have a calorie deficit. It sucks to hear that, but that's what it comes down to. You're body doesn't magically defy the laws of physics after your hysterectomy. Get more accurate about logging/decrease calories and you will lose, there is simply no alternative, no secret tip or anything, sorry.
  • Mizfenton
    Options
    I wish that were true. I keep a detailed log. i dont eat very much at all.. never have. I have a very simple breakfast, a clean lunch, 1 afternoon snack and a casein shake for dinner because by the time i am done with my workout i am not hungry.
    i am not a person that eats crappy food all day.. doesnt work out doesnt log foods and simply doesnt do what should be done.
    I am none of those things. i am very aware of what i put in my body... i work out 2 to three hours daily... and i dont eat alot. A body changes after a hysterectomy. Not only do i not naturally fall asleep but i do not lose weight like others either. No.. there is no miracle pill or anything of the sort.. but i figured reaching out to fellow people in my situation might have shed some light on something i should be doing different. I have battled this for 7 years. I do not take this at all lightly i have been fighting this fight for a long time. I do the hard work... always have.
    Thanks for your input...
  • sdbernier
    sdbernier Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Before I would have agreed with you, but I found that since I started counting everything I put in my mouth, I noticed small changes on the scale.

I worked out 5-7 days a week and I was at the same weight for about 2.5 years and I kept saying I couldn't lose it because of the three C-Sections (2 kids, 1 hysterectomy) I had. January 19 of this year I started focusing on my CICO and exercising and have finally seen the scale move. I've only lost 7 pounds since then which isn't much but it's better than what I was losing before.

The key is to be completely honest - if you bite, you write it (that's my mantra :) ) - with your diet and exercise.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    If your ovaries were also removed you might need your hormone replacement therapy adjusted. Hormones affect weight.
  • Mizfenton
    Options
    Yes i saw my doc today and she stated we may need to play with the dosage.. but first she said lets try increasing your thyroid medication...
    so we are trying that first.. then hormones next.

sdbernier i agree with you.. i do the same thing... .. lol it also makes me way more aware..
    at first i did lose.. it was only about hmmmm... year 4 i noticed the scale go up no matter what. at that time i had my bike and would bike 5 miles a day...
    now i do a lot of different cardio and thats about 6 times a week if i dont get a workout on sat i at least get my steps in.
    my step goal for the past 4 months is 20k daily. so i feel pretty good reaching that and getting some strength training in.

its more of how i see myself.,, as people say i dont look bad at all.. but i want to be happier in my own skin again.. and i will keep trying!
  • sdbernier
    sdbernier Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Mizfenton wrote: »
    i want to be happier in my own skin again.. and i will keep trying!

^^This is what's important!

Logging everything does make you more aware but it also helps because I never wanted to see bad things written down :)

Hopefully the change to your thyroid medication is the answer. Good luck!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I've lost somewhere between 30 and 40 more pounds since my hysterectomy. I also have a bunch of serious, unrelated metabolic issues...and have still been able to lose weight.

Are you seeing an endocrinologist about the hormonal questions?

Do you eat a lower/moderate carb diet?

How intensely are you exercising?
  • Mizfenton
    Options
    Totally important. I know I can be strong and be all I can be. And at the end of the day be happy with me :)
  • Mizfenton
    Options
    I've lost somewhere between 30 and 40 more pounds since my hysterectomy. I also have a bunch of serious, unrelated metabolic issues...and have still been able to lose weight.

Are you seeing an endocrinologist about the hormonal questions?

Do you eat a lower/moderate carb diet?

How intensely are you exercising?

You know.. Never thought of that.. I should ask my doctor about an endocrinologist. Never crossed my mind. Ty for that!

Like I said the first year or two I dropped alot of weight. Wasn't until much later came the weight gain.

Low carbs.. Pretty much.. I only eat cereal daily and an occasional 1/2 cup of brown rice. Most of the time I eat veggies, chicken and fruit. Snacks are nuts, granola bars and fruit. Dinner is harder for me… I don't usually eat dinner. Mostly casein shakes.

The workouts I do : treadmill. High intensity.. High incline and weight loss interval program. For about an hour and half.
    Then hit the weights for about 30 mins..

When I get bored.. I get on the wii for a balanced workout program.

I am of course open to any suggestions. Am only trying to do what I can and do all I can.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    What are your actual stats and calorie intake? You may be logging accurately (although- are you using a food scale?) but if you've calculated the wrong goal, you can accurately hit your target forever and you still won't see loss.

Are you eating back exercise calories? I imagine you must be, as I can't imagine planning a deficit and THEN working out 3-4 hours effectively without eating some of those back. So how are you calculating your TDEE and target deficit?

My mother lost quite a bit of weight after her hysterectomy and despite thyroid problems. Hormones certainly can affect rate of loss, appetite, health, but ultimately bodies run on chemistry and physics- if you eat fewer calories than you burn, you *will* lose weight.
  • mish26
    mish26 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy 3 years ago yesterday. I gained a little initially, but more due to bad eating habits than anything else. I don't feel like my hysterectomy did anything to hinder my ability to lose weight. I don't think that's what your problem is. I often see people say that they eat very little and log everything, but I really have trouble believing that you'd be overweight if that were true. I suspect you're eating a lot more than you think you are.
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Your face doesn't appear too full or heavy. Is it possible that you're being too rough on yourself? 1 1/2 hours of exercise daily is a lot. In fact, how do you manage that, work a full-time job and have any kind of home life? Not telling you to stop trying to lose, but don't approach in such a panic that perspective is lost.
  • CatzMe67
    CatzMe67 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Are you eating ENOUGH of the right foods? I've learned that a 1200 calorie/day diet of what I thought were the right foods because I was focusing on just low carb would help me lose the weight.....it did not! Calculate, or have someone help you, your macro intake. This is an equation of the right proportions of protein, fat, and carbs you should take in each day....for me it is a 50/30/20 (p/f/c) on an 1800 cal/day clean eating meal plan. When I follow this type of plan, the weight starts to come off....when I deviate, the weight either remains the same or gets worse! I too workout 4-5 times a week, 4 of those nights are HIIT type training, but wasn't seeing any progress until I stopped counting just calories and started monitoring macros. Oh, and, I had a hysto 11 years ago :) Good luck in your journey.
  • BobbieSarg
    BobbieSarg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy in Sept. Never had a issue losing weight before even with cheat days!
    Now I'm struggling to even lose a pound a week! (YES I'm logging in everything and the correct messurments and weighs of everything I eat )
    Nothing detour's a person knowing that all the hard work isn't paying off like you want.
    I'm going to keep working on it (I do 30 mins a day 4x a week on the treadmill 3.5 mph @ 10 incline & weight training along with ball exercises) I am getting toned and stronger but the weight on the scale is makes me ticked!
    Now I'm thinking that a doc's visit is in order now to check hormones !
    Thanks for posting !
  • Mizfenton
    Options
    jwcanfield wrote: »
    Your face doesn't appear too full or heavy. Is it possible that you're being too rough on yourself? 1 1/2 hours of exercise daily is a lot. In fact, how do you manage that, work a full-time job and have any kind of home life? Not telling you to stop trying to lose, but don't approach in such a panic that perspective is lost.

Well. I work full time. Wake at 6am at work at 715am. Walk around the building at around 10am then again at 230pm.
    Home at about 445pm.. I have no kids at home, hubby works 2nd shift and doesn't get home till11pm.. So I normally feed the cats.. Find something on Netflix then get on the treadmill for a couple hours… I try to get on 2 hours at least.. Then I rest, shower and in bed by 930pm. Start the day all over again.
  • Mizfenton
    Options
    mish26 wrote: »
    I had a hysterectomy 3 years ago yesterday. I gained a little initially, but more due to bad eating habits than anything else. I don't feel like my hysterectomy did anything to hinder my ability to lose weight. I don't think that's what your problem is. I often see people say that they eat very little and log everything, but I really have trouble believing that you'd be overweight if that were true. I suspect you're eating a lot more than you think you are.

My diet is the exact same every week day. I dont deviate. Weekends I change it up a little up but still stay on track. I dont need to lie or make up what I eat. And ok may be hard for anyone to believe.. I don't eat alot, I never have. I am considered overweight but I am not a huge woman sitting there binge eating. I only eat for fuel. Not because I am bored.
  • Mizfenton
    Options
    BobbieSarg wrote: »
    I had a hysterectomy in Sept. Never had a issue losing weight before even with cheat days!
    Now I'm struggling to even lose a pound a week! (YES I'm logging in everything and the correct messurments and weighs of everything I eat )
    Nothing detour's a person knowing that all the hard work isn't paying off like you want.
    I'm going to keep working on it (I do 30 mins a day 4x a week on the treadmill 3.5 mph @ 10 incline & weight training along with ball exercises) I am getting toned and stronger but the weight on the scale is makes me ticked!
    Now I'm thinking that a doc's visit is in order now to check hormones !
    Thanks for posting !

I am work really hard at it. And like u my scale doesn't move. I notice I am losing inches, but that scale doesnt move. Clothes fit better but scale is the same. But I will have to try tweaking some stuff and see what happens :)
  • kate_baxter
    kate_baxter Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What type of exercise are you doing? females in general tend to favour cardio exercise, which will result in weight loss initially, doesn't help in the long term. Our metabolism decreases as we age, and women in general also tend to store more body fat then men.
    In order to counter balance this you need to introduce weight bearing exercise into your routine, combined with cardio.
    Muscle burns more calories at rest, and combined with HIIT gives you more workout bang for your buck.

keep in mind that weight is number on the scale, and when beginning any form of strength training it is important to take note of body measurements as well as weight. (chest, waist, hips, thighs)

While the first two weeks you may not see a loss on the scale, you more than likely will see a loss in cm.

Women should not be afraid of weights, there is a misconception that lifting heavy will result in Arnold like proportions, but unless you are on steroids then this will not happen.