I've lost 20lbs in 2 weeks...

Options
So...I've lost 20lbs in 2 weeks. I feel like that isn't normal. I got the flu which is what catalyzed it. I went from 206 to 186 as of this morning. I should note that because of being sick, I went totally vegan since it was easier on my system. Is that why I've dropped so much weight? I have been drinking water like crazy and the occasional gatorade to replace my electrolytes so I'm not convinced that it was completely water weight. Also, my GI track seems to be working fine. I have also been swimming everyday like normal since I'm a lifeguard and I swing dance on weekends. I'm also 5'7" if that helps. I don't really count calories so I don't know how many I have been eating. I just need to know if it's alright that I've dropped so much weight in such a short amount of time. Thanks.

Replies

• scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm sorry but I can't get past that 'swimming every day since I'm a life guard' business... You swam every day in a public pool? With the flu? As a lifeguard? And ostensibly held hands with people while swing dancing? Ugh...
    I really feel very very very strongly that people with communicable illnesses should stay home and not spread their infections to unwitting recipients beyond their own very close circle of family and friends. Perhaps a solitary air traffic controller in a sealed chamber could be exempted. But someone serving the public in a public venue? Or just social dancing? Really?
    My apologies if this feels overly harsh. What's done is done. I implore you to rethink your strategy on this in the future.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of weight. If you aren't eating enough, you'll drop water weight even if you're drinking water.

So eat more. If it helps, begin tracking calories so that you know you're eating enough.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    It's not all right.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I can't get past that 'swimming every day since I'm a life guard' business... You swam every day in a public pool? With the flu? As a lifeguard? And ostensibly held hands with people while swing dancing? Ugh...
    I really feel very very very strongly that people with communicable illnesses should stay home and not spread their infections to unwitting recipients beyond their own very close circle of family and friends. Perhaps a solitary air traffic controller in a sealed chamber could be exempted. But someone serving the public in a public venue? Or just social dancing? Really?
    My apologies if this feels overly harsh. What's done is done. I implore you to rethink your strategy on this in the future.

I agree that people should try to stay home when they are ill. But it's worth keeping in mind that lifeguards and dance instructors often don't have the type of sick leave policies that allow for choosing that option. If someone doesn't have sick days, they may be terminated for missing work -- even if they are truly ill. And they aren't going to be paid for the time they take off even if they avoid disciplinary action.

So I'm not saying "Yeah, just go to work with the flu," but it's worth keeping in mind that for many workers, the decision to stay home when ill can mean losing their job or not being able to pay their bills that month. It's a really tough call in those situations.

(Assuming this is all taking place in the US).
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    scolaris: I agree with you, that just gross. The worst part is the "swimming every day" irrespective of sick leave. Still trying to get my head around that.
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    goodbr wrote: »
    So...I've lost 20lbs in 2 weeks. I feel like that isn't normal. I got the flu which is what catalyzed it. I went from 206 to 186 as of this morning. I should note that because of being sick, I went totally vegan since it was easier on my system. Is that why I've dropped so much weight? I have been drinking water like crazy and the occasional gatorade to replace my electrolytes so I'm not convinced that it was completely water weight. Also, my GI track seems to be working fine. I have also been swimming everyday like normal since I'm a lifeguard and I swing dance on weekends. I'm also 5'7" if that helps. I don't really count calories so I don't know how many I have been eating. I just need to know if it's alright that I've dropped so much weight in such a short amount of time. Thanks.

No. - Seek medical attention.

Confirmed diagnosis of the flu? Or flu-like symptoms?

How do you swim when you can't breathe!? What if someone needs CPR and you are blowing your flu-germs into their airway?! :open_mouth:
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I am always suspicious of somebody who joins a forum and their first post out of the box is something very extreme which provides little supporting information; and in which the poster purports to be ignorant of details; and which reeks of a troll-like intent to bait people. Like this one.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I am always suspicious of somebody who joins a forum and their first post out of the box is something very extreme which provides little supporting information; and in which the poster purports to be ignorant of details; and which reeks of a troll-like intent to bait people. Like this one.

Cosigned.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    No, twenty pounds in two weeks is not normal, especially not with symptoms that may or may not be the flu. Go to your doctor.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Swam daily and danced with the flu, ey? Then you probably didnt have the flu, the whole flu and nothing but the flu.

But anyway, no 20lbs in 14 days = not normal.

• ajmurray1234
    ajmurray1234 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    yeah, the flu thing has me shaking my head. But 20lbs in two weeks? Not normal at all unless your caloric deficit was extreme.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    And I say this with economic compassion. I'm a school sub and I do not have the luxury of paid sick days. But that's still no reason to justify infecting a classroom of pupils or a teachers' lounge filled with instructors...
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

werd.

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Twenty lbs in two weeks...and it's cold/flu season. And you're not counting calories, which means you're probably restricting extremely. So either you're vastly undereating, or there's something majorly wrong like cancer. Or hepatitis.

The only people who lose 20 lbs in 2 weeks are the people on My 600 Lb Life, and they're under doctor supervision. It is not normal to lose that amount of weight otherwise.

And just an fyi, vegan foods are just as bad as regular food. I know, because I can only eat vegan desserts due to food allergies. I also know fat vegans and fat vegetarians, so being vegan doesn't automatically mean drastic weight loss.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    The op states they ate vegan because it was easier while dealing with the "flu". Therefore I assume stomach bug and not the true respiratory flu that makes people feel like they have been hit by multiple semi trucks, sleep for 23/24 hours a day and have zero energy on top of the respiratory symptoms they would be suffering from. Absolutely agree with not spreading it around, but I have a feeling they are describing a queasy tummy more so than the flu we are all assuming.

And, on topic, no 20lbs in a week is not normal or healthy. You are possibley doing severe damage to your body. Eat at an appropriate calorie level, track your intake, and keep yourself healthy.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    20 times 3500 cal per pound = 70,000 calorie deficit divided by 14 days = 5000 calorie deficit per day. um...nope. not gonna work.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I've lost 20 lbs in 2 weeks before. I went from 130 lbs at 5'8" to 110 lbs.. But I was in the worst Crohn's flare of my life and almost died... And it was all fluid/ muscle probably.
  • LushFix
    LushFix Posts: 303 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    OP. IF you are completely being honest about your post.

Seek medical attention immediately!

But think back and go through the details again. The last time you weighed yourself before the "20" pound loss..what time of day was this? what had you eaten that day before weighing? Were you menstruating or near your cycle?

What were you wearing the differnt times you weighed?

I honestly do not think you lost 20 pounds in 14 days. You have very Likley made a technical mistake of proper and consistent weighing.

Weigh the same time everyday in the morning after you gone to the bathroom and either naked or wearing the EXACT same clothing each time.
  • NaniCorday
    NaniCorday Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Why come on here asking advice from a bunch of people who aren't qualified? No one really knows what the *kitten* they're talking about. Of course, everyone on mfp is going to tell you you're insane and on the verge of death from dropping 20 pounds so fast.

Go talk to a doctor and get some real medical guidance.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    If I ever lost 20 pounds in 2 weeks I'd be singing from the rooftops, not asking if it's ok.
    But seriously, if you had any type of flu, stomach or influenza, you would neither have been able to swim nor dance.
    And typically after the flu you're weak for a time after that as well.

If you had the flu, got better, then changed your eating habits and got back to the swimming and dancing, it would still be unusual to lose so much weight so quickly. Go see your dr.