How do you get your fiber?

Options
2»

Replies

• haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I eat a full serving of unfrosted Mini-Wheats cereal mixed with half a serving of Frosted Mini-Wheats (with 6 oz of 2% milk) every morning. 11 grams of fiber right off the bat. Just the right amount of sweetness for me.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Fat also helps with satiety. And keeps things moving along the old plumbing. Just saying. Yes, replace some of your baked and fried carbs with fruit and vegetable carbs and you will be golden.

Check out the magic of soluble carbs while you are at it. This would include foods like oatmeal and chia.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of whole grains, legumes, veggies, and fruit.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Fat also helps with satiety. And keeps things moving along the old plumbing. Just saying. Yes, replace some of your baked and fried carbs with fruit and vegetable carbs and you will be golden.

Check out the magic of soluble carbs while you are at it. This would include foods like oatmeal and chia.

And beans. Beans are a great source of soluble fiber.
  • stmokomoko
    stmokomoko Posts: 98 Member
    Options

The idea of having to eat 9 cups of broccoli or whatever vegetable or fruit per day to hit my fibre requirement is nasty.
  • hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Well, I did it today! 28g of fiber from black beans, raisin bran, broccoli, chickpeas, and smaller amounts from other veggies but it all added up. My carb% ended up the the high 50s% and fat/protein were in the low 20s% so I still have some adjusting to do, but it wasn't too difficult, I just had to make fiber a priority and incorporate a LOT of different foods. I am much more full than usual, and I like to feel full, so it's doing what I hoped!

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions!

P.S. Roasted chickpeas (400F, 40 minutes) are delicious! I let my kid spice them and ended up with pumpkin pie spice AND lemon pepper on them. Still good. :D
  • dalem54494
    dalem54494 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I get mine from Fiber One original cereal.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Animal products have no fibres and they cause constipation.

There are many causes for constipation not just a diet high in animal products.

OP: If constipation is your problem or worry then:

1) reduce my fat intake so that I have more calories to use on higher fiber carbohydrates while still eating fun carbs
    2) reduce the amount of fun carbs I eat in favor of more nutritionally dense options
    3) supplement with fiber

The bit in bold may backfire since upping fat has been shown to often alleviate constipation. Of course, if constipation is not an issue or worry for you then this is a moot point.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Dear @StealthHealth , Kindly note that I said "Animal products have no fibres and they cause constipation" I never said "ONLY Animal products have no fibres and they ALONE cause constipation" so for you to say "There are many causes for constipation not just a diet high in animal products" does not contradict me in any way.

Foods with no fibre are mainly but not only:
    1-Animal products: animal tissues, eggs, dairy
    2-Refined grain products: products made with refined flours that are stripped off their bran suck as white bread, cookies, cakes, donuts, chocolate bars and junk alike.
    3-Juices and beverages.

Moreover, foods that are dry and low in water content cause constipation too. e.g. if you eat whole wheat biscuits without drinking some liquid with them you can get constipated despite the fibre content of the biscuits.

point taken