Hysterectomy and Lack of Weight Loss

Options
2»

Replies

• ericaconti
    ericaconti Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy 3 years ago, I've since lost 135 pounds. I still have my ovaries, if that makes a difference.
  • Mizfenton
    Mizfenton Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    ericaconti wrote: »
    I had a hysterectomy 3 years ago, I've since lost 135 pounds. I still have my ovaries, if that makes a difference.

From what my doc says having ovaries makes a difference as your body still makes natural hormones. Where as even with HRT its not the same as natural :/
  • Mizfenton
    Options
    What type of exercise are you doing? females in general tend to favour cardio exercise, which will result in weight loss initially, doesn't help in the long term. Our metabolism decreases as we age, and women in general also tend to store more body fat then men.
    In order to counter balance this you need to introduce weight bearing exercise into your routine, combined with cardio.
    Muscle burns more calories at rest, and combined with HIIT gives you more workout bang for your buck.

keep in mind that weight is number on the scale, and when beginning any form of strength training it is important to take note of body measurements as well as weight. (chest, waist, hips, thighs)

While the first two weeks you may not see a loss on the scale, you more than likely will see a loss in cm.

Women should not be afraid of weights, there is a misconception that lifting heavy will result in Arnold like proportions, but unless you are on steroids then this will not happen.

Kate I love lifting weights!!!! We have a workout bench and a set of weights.. Also a gym membership :) to me it really changes up my routine..
    And you are right about the scale.. I know I shouldn't read too much into it.. I guess I just get annoyed when it doesnt move. But losing inches does help me keep working hard :)
  • Mizfenton
    Options
    What are your actual stats and calorie intake? You may be logging accurately (although- are you using a food scale?) but if you've calculated the wrong goal, you can accurately hit your target forever and you still won't see loss.

Are you eating back exercise calories? I imagine you must be, as I can't imagine planning a deficit and THEN working out 3-4 hours effectively without eating some of those back. So how are you calculating your TDEE and target deficit?

My mother lost quite a bit of weight after her hysterectomy and despite thyroid problems. Hormones certainly can affect rate of loss, appetite, health, but ultimately bodies run on chemistry and physics- if you eat fewer calories than you burn, you *will* lose weight.

Emmy,
    My hubby meal preps for me and measures everything out. Using both measuring cups and scale.

I am also on sparkpeople. I have that app as well as this one. I put in my stats (level of activity, weight, height etc) it calculates how much cals per day.

I log food and exercise daily.
    I dont eat back calories. At the end of the day I eat the least. I sometimes wish I had more of an appetite sometimes but I dont.
    Maybe I am not doing the right workouts.
    Im just trying to figure out what I might be missing.
  • Mizfenton
    edited March 2016
    Options
    bbr5zucpdg2z.jpg
    So this is me early Feb 2016...
  • mztmarie
    mztmarie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try to flip your routine and do weights first, then cardio. I read that strength training first will burn whatever preworkout meal you eat, while the cardio will burn the fat. I tried it for a little while and was always ravenous afterwards, while still losing weight. Also really challenge your muscles, mix it up between heavy lifting, using compound movements like deadlines and chest presses and lighter toning routines. Finally, focus on measurements decreasing instead of pounds. Plateaus suck, so you got to get creative to keep motivated! ☺