Low carb high fat diet for a vegetarian runner

Hi there guys been advised to do the above diet but I'm struggling to find out how much I need to restrict my carbs help please

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Advised by whom and for what reasoning?
  • munchkin_79
    munchkin_79 Posts: 4 Member
    I went for a lactade threshold test and the guy that did that said it may benefit me as in my last 2 half marathons had a real energy slump at about mile 8
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    It becomes a preference. Some people train low carb so the body adjusts to burning fat as an energy source primarily, instead of focusing on glycogen stores. But the lack of energy on those low carbs is gonna suck unless you are highly adapted to it. My preference when I was going on 10+ mile runs was taking some energy gels or sucking on lifesavers candy as I ran. It really helped me with that quick boost of energy.
  • munchkin_79
    Yeh I've tried gels but unfortunately I have Inflammatory Bowel Disease and they really don't agree with me
  • Selkie_Runner
    Selkie_Runner Posts: 41 Member
    I went for a lactade threshold test and the guy that did that said it may benefit me as in my last 2 half marathons had a real energy slump at about mile 8

Did the guy have any qualifications in nutrition? Your going to struggle limiting your carbs with energy for running. There are many other things other than gels you can use. I'm a fan of dates or banana chips. Also on long runs you need to start eating earlier before the slump.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Keeping carbs below 100 grams/day is best for MOST people.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    What kinds of foods are ok with your inflammatory bowl? :grey_question:
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    I suggest you check out the main low carber forum here on MFP. It's where most of us Ketofiles tend to hang out. There are also quite a few members of the LCHF group that have IBS, many (most?) of whom say LCHF improved their IBS issues / symptoms:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • munchkin_79
    Thanks guys for your replies

Selkie_Runner yes he has qualifications in most aspects of running. I'm just trying to figure out what is going to work for me