Please help me!

Options
For those of you who have already lost a good amount of weight please help me. I want to lose 80 pounds. I have until November. Is this doable? I started shakeology and 21 day fix 10 days ago but the last 3 days out of the 10 i gave up and starting eating whatever. I feel really disappointed in myself i need more guidance and motivation on what to eat and how much i need to burn to lose this weight so please help me.....
Height:5'5"
Current Weight:235
Goal weight: 155

Replies

• 20KimmieKim16
    20KimmieKim16 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need motivation and lots of support. I joined a challenge on MFP. It starts today and I'm already more motivated than I have ever been in my life. I started out a year or so ago trying to lose weight off and on but never stuck with it. Now I've been going for a few weeks and the scale is declining everyday, I'm sure it's still water weight but that in itself is a Motivator for me. Stick with it take one day at a time and log into MFP everyday. I am on this more than Facebook now, I think that's what keeps me going on this journey. It's not easy but will be worth it in the end. And remember you didn't put the weight on in only a few weeks so it's not going to come off in a few weeks either. That's what I tell myself every day. Good luck if you need a friend for motivation you can add me!
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I think it's doable as long as you stick with it. If you are eating within your calories and exercising, the weight has nowhere to go but down. I'm not weighing in. I don't step on the scale. Rather I'm going by sizes. I'm starting at a size 20 jeans down to a size 8. I'm almost in an 18. I'm in an 18W right now. I'm hoping to be down to a 14 by the middle of May. My personal trainer thinks I can do it. As long as you stick with it, you will lose. Log every day no matter what. It helps to keep you in check. Do not weigh every day. If you must weigh, do it every two weeks instead of once a week. You may have a slight increase at one week which will be discouraging. That's why I say every two weeks. You can do it. Have faith in yourself! Good luck! :)
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    That's a little over 10 pounds a month so it might be a bit aggressive. You may lose that the first month or so but after that I wouldn't expect more than 5 pounds a month. I would say start small- change one or two things and when they get to be habits add more things. That makes your loss much more sustainable and doable. Revamping everything you do and how you eat all at once is often exciting at first and you can be motivated, but then it just gets hard and that's why people quit. Don't do anything that you won't continue for the long haul. The main philosophy on here is very simple- eat what you like, log everything and stay within your calorie goal. If you are really hungry then adjust your weight loss weekly goal to get some more calories each day. You shouldn't be starving (but on the other hand, it's okay and normal to be a bit hungry before each meal- it's how we're designed to be). Find an exercise that you love so you'll stick with it. Some people love to work out super hard, some love a nice walk outside. There are a million things in between. There are so many benefits to exercise beyond weight loss- mood, energy, better sleep, etc. You can do this with consistency and support- just keep going!
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Getting it off is the most important thing I've realised as I'm older that big goals for events is a good shove to lose weight but it needs to be forever so slow and steady wins long term
    Aim for 1lbs a week eating s decent amount of calories be as healthy as possible try avoiding too much processed foods but have treats or believe me you'll lose the weight then be back here next year needing to lose loads again
    Your young don't get into a spiral of DIETING change your eating behaviour and then you won't need to lose lots again as from experience it gets demoralising after 20 years and each time there's more to lose

Find good supportive mfp friends the ones who you can interact with daily move more and enjoy nice foods but live too

:)
  • NowSteffy50
    NowSteffy50 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Unless someone it saying you have to be a specific weight at a specific time, (flying weight, joining the services) you would be better to listen to your body and aim for consistency and compliance. Dropping 500 calories in your food and doing 500 calories of exercise a day would be a better route. (10,000 steps for 'normal' sized person is about 500 calories. For me, it is about 6000 steps) This will give you 1.5-2lbs a week. (BTW the 3500 is only an estimate - and varies from person to person- fat cells can't do maths!)

Experiment with your macro percentages too. I have upped my good fats and lowered my processed carbs to good effect. It helps keep my energy levels more consistent during the day, and therefore less likely to snack.

• mychelenc
    mychelenc Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need motivation and lots of support. I joined a challenge on MFP. It starts today and I'm already more motivated than I have ever been in my life. I started out a year or so ago trying to lose weight off and on but never stuck with it. Now I've been going for a few weeks and the scale is declining everyday, I'm sure it's still water weight but that in itself is a Motivator for me. Stick with it take one day at a time and log into MFP everyday. I am on this more than Facebook now, I think that's what keeps me going on this journey. It's not easy but will be worth it in the end. And remember you didn't put the weight on in only a few weeks so it's not going to come off in a few weeks either. That's what I tell myself every day. Good luck if you need a friend for motivation you can add me!

How do you find challenges? When I click icon there are none there! I also believe they help with motivation!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    rsm193 wrote: »
    For those of you who have already lost a good amount of weight please help me. I want to lose 80 pounds. I have until November. Is this doable? I started shakeology and 21 day fix 10 days ago but the last 3 days out of the 10 i gave up and starting eating whatever. I feel really disappointed in myself i need more guidance and motivation on what to eat and how much i need to burn to lose this weight so please help me.....

why do you only have until november?
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    How will you feel if you *only* lose 50 pounds by November? Or 30? It's still a significant loss. Don't hold yourself back by a timeline.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    My question is November your goal you setup yourself or is there outside influence into helping you come up with this goal?

Next question is why did quit the 21 day fix? I am asking to find out why it took only 7 days for you give that up without at least trying what you paid for? Did you ever use your assigned beachbody coach to help you?

I bought a beachbody program last Dec which contained the 21 day fix nutritional containers along with workout DVD's. So I said I would do an experiment with the containers cause I turned my nose up at them.

What I did is measure the food using the containers and then weighed the food and logged it into MFP. Did this for 6 weeks. It was incredibly close to just counting calories. My test concluded that my calories were within a small range of what MFP gave me per day or even a little under.

My point is those containers allow you to eat a ton of food. So what was wrong with the program that you did not like etc..

You should try something out for at least 3 - 4 weeks to determine if something will work out for your to reach your goals.

I would like to understand more about this. Because it may just be motivation, or getting your mind right to make necessary commitments to your goals and moreover the timeline you setup for yourself.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

It may be doable in theory. But it begs the question why you say you "have until November" and why it has to be 80 pounds. What if you "only" lose 50 pounds by then? Will you have wasted your time completely? It would also be interesting (for you) to investigate why you could only stick to the fix for a week.

You are not alone in feeling uncertain about what to eat and not to eat. "Use your common sense" isn't necessarily going to cut it anymore, too much confusing "information" is too easily available. But you can learn. Go to Daily Nutrition Goals and set your calorie goal to 2000, and your protein goal to 20%, fat to 40% and carbs to 40%.

For an intro to good eating, study Canada's food guide. Use that in conjunction with your food diary. Pick foods you like that fits into these categories. First log what you are eating for a few days; then adjust amounts of foods to make it align with the food diary's calories and macros.

After some time doing this, if you do it correctly and consistently, your weight will drop and then the weight loss will slow down. That's when it's time to readjust your goals. You'll have to reduce your daily calorie intake. Go back to settings and plot in a lower number. Repeat until you have reached your goal weight. It's really that simple. That's not to say it's easy. You have to be patient, dedicated and realistic. You'll have to resist some temptation, while still being kind to yourself. It's a challenging balancing act. But it's what it takes to lose and maintain weight. Lots of people manage to do it. Make it as easy for yourself to succeed as possible, and you will.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Well OP has not come back to the thread since she posted it very early this morning.

So maybe she will come back and post an update on MFP's community response to her questions.

• ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    So I'll be the pro-date related goal outlier here. I'm okay with working toward a date goal and I'm doing that now.

But you need to have a realistic goal. And you need to be the kind of person who finds this kind of goal motivating (I will do my damnedest) vs. demotivating (If I'm not on track I will just quit).

You can use this calculator to enter your start date and goal date to find the total number of days:

easysurf.cc/ndate2.htm

Then you can go here and find what calorie level you should stick to in order to make that date.

calculators.org/health/weight-loss.php

Important: If the calculator says less than 1200 calories a day to reach your goal by your date then you need to reduce your total weight loss goal or extend your timeline.

That should give you an idea of "best case scenario". But none of us is perfect. So knock maybe 20% off that max possible weight loss and that should give you a realistic goal for the time you have.

Shoot for "best case scenario", but be prepared for still excellent.
  • Rangerfied
    Rangerfied Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of what people are saying and asking. Is this date specifically your goal or for other reasons?
    If you don't lose it all by than but have lost weight, don't be hard on yourself. Healthy weight loss of any sort is good.
    When it comes to motivation I hear you. I find it hard myself but there is a lot of supportive people on this site with ideas and willing to help. Back in 2006 I was up to 318 lbs. I am down now to 273 lbs and I still get discouraged at times. I'd like to reach even 225 lbs but have been at a stand still for quite some time. But I try to remember what I have kept off. If I start gaining I tell myself that I can't allow myself to get up as high as before and need to start watching closer what I'm eating.

Keep with it and I'm sure you'll lose the weight.
  • rsm193
    rsm193 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    My question is November your goal you setup yourself or is there outside influence into helping you come up with this goal?

Next question is why did quit the 21 day fix? I am asking to find out why it took only 7 days for you give that up without at least trying what you paid for? Did you ever use your assigned beachbody coach to help you?

I bought a beachbody program last Dec which contained the 21 day fix nutritional containers along with workout DVD's. So I said I would do an experiment with the containers cause I turned my nose up at them.

What I did is measure the food using the containers and then weighed the food and logged it into MFP. Did this for 6 weeks. It was incredibly close to just counting calories. My test concluded that my calories were within a small range of what MFP gave me per day or even a little under.

My point is those containers allow you to eat a ton of food. So what was wrong with the program that you did not like etc..

You should try something out for at least 3 - 4 weeks to determine if something will work out for your to reach your goals.

I would like to understand more about this. Because it may just be motivation, or getting your mind right to make necessary commitments to your goals and moreover the timeline you setup for yourself.

Because i give up and give in to easily which i hate.
  • rsm193
    rsm193 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    What i meant by i have until november just means thats what i would like lose because of my Mexico trip but im ok with losing 30 or 50 pounds by november also. I tend to give up easily i have no motivation. I battle depression, anxiety and have two kids. It isnt easy. Its also hard to see other people eat what they want.
  • Chelsey0619
    Chelsey0619 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 21 day fix right now. Just started my 3rd week. And today I didn't workout. At all. It's hard to stay on track. It's easier if you set small goals for yourself. I set 5lb goals. I've lost almost 10 pounds since I started it. And i want to lose another 30. If you need someone to talk to feel free to add me :)
  • katej37
    katej37 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    So find your motivation - do you want to be able to run and play with your kids? I have 3 kids living at home, 2 in school and 1 toddler. I started my journey back in Sept 2015 on weightwatchers initially but since they changed the programme I moved over to here. Back in Sept I weighed 11st 12lbs - now I weigh 10st 6lbs - 20lbs down. I have had more success on here than on WW. For exercise I either dance with toddler or we get out for a walk if weather is good. I aim for a minimum of 10K steps per day using fitbit but am generally over that (12k average) I feel so much better now just having dropped 20lbs - I can walk faster and further than before. I still have 20lbs to go to get to goal but its coming slowly. Take your time, weigh and log accurately and it will come off. x
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What i meant by i have until november just means thats what i would like lose because of my Mexico trip but im ok with losing 30 or 50 pounds by november also. I tend to give up easily i have no motivation. I battle depression, anxiety and have two kids. It isnt easy. Its also hard to see other people eat what they want.

You have to tackle this in a different way. First, get proper treatment for mental issues. Then, consider that lots of people, even slim people, have kids. You need to be a role model for your children. But not sacrifice yourself for them. Take care of yourself, make time for just you, do everything you can to get enough quality sleep. Organize your day better. Plan meals, cook, shop smart. Motivation comes and goes, try to just be determined, and you will succeed.

And let go of the idea that "slim people can eat all they want". Everybody has to abide to the laws of physics. 3500 calories is a pound of fat for every single person. You just don't see everything everybody eats or how much they move. Literally, though, the phrase is correct: A slim person wants just the amount that keeps them at the same weight. An overweight person wants more than they need.