Calorie Deficit (Is it a Myth)

Options
13»

Replies

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    According to Scooby, my BMR is 1487. Completely sedentary, my BMR is around 1600 according to my Fibit, and with my TDEE, Fitbit says it's 2100-2500 since I take anywhere between 10k-17k steps from jogging. Another calc has my BMR at 1612, shrug.

I don't know what to believe, but they're all just estimates anyway.
  • Sternjohn662200
    Sternjohn662200 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity i didn't exercise last night and just went about my day as normal so had a (sedentary) lifestyle as per my job.

My fitbit Charge HR for the day was a TDEE of 2232 Calories, so i then checked this using various online calculators as suggested and got the following so its likely the fitbit does overestimate as the average of the following TDEE's is 2025 so a difference of 200 kcals.

Sail Rabbit
    TDEE (Average) (SEDENTARY)= 2023 Calories
    BMR (Average) = 1686 Calories

Scooby
    TDEE (SEDENTARY)= 2117 Calories
    BMR = 1693 Calories

IIFYM
    TDEE (SEDENTARY)= 1935 Calories
    BMR = 1683 Calories

How many steps did you do? Around the 5000 mark is considered sedentary.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/14715035/

Sounds about right as my average daily steps is around 5000 mark in the week and 8000 at weekend
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    B_TEEN wrote: »
    [....] it takes about 20 minutes for your brain to register that your stomach is full.
    And, it doesn't matter where your calories come from, your body does not differentiate what foods the calories are coming from.

Agree that it takes time for your brain to register "fullness" but keep in mind that 100 calories from fat versus 100 calories from carbohydrates and protein ARE NOT the same in density. So, if you can get more "bang" for the buck in volume from plants, which is a source of carbs + protein, you can eat more for the same cost [in calories]. The greater volume plus added fiber of plants/grains/beans will more likely register a feeling of satiety than the same caloric value of fat.
    But I know plenty of overweight and obese vegetarians and vegans, it's not a perfect method for everyone.

I hear you but vegans make food choices for ethical reasons and vegetarians may make food choices often based on religion or other preference. Therefore, a vegan and vegetarian diet may be highly-processed and high in fat. So, I think experiences of those that follow a "plant-based lifestyle", those who eat for optimal healthy, will vary to traditional vegan and vegetarians.

Sounds like you are trying to make a "no true Scotsman" argument about vegans/vegetarians to justify your personal beliefs.

Chicken breast, tuna, yogurt are all good sources as well. Plant-based is not the answer for everyone. CICO, however, is the answer for everyone.
  • B_TEEN
    B_TEEN Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast, tuna, yogurt are all good sources as well.

Yes, good sources of a bevy of chronic diseases this country faces and any other population that assumes a SAD.
    Plant-based is not the answer for everyone.
    Interesting perspective you share that is left unsupported. What is the basis for this conclusion?

While many may not prefer transitioning to a diet of plants, the benefits are not disputable. Low-fat, plant-based diets, in isolation, have not merely prevented but reversed many chronic conditions (e.g., obesity, Type-2 diabetes, heart disease, prostate cancer...). It's a lifestyle choice that is good for your health, weight and gentle to the environment. It's not about what "I" want, it just is.

• B_TEEN
    B_TEEN Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    [...] I like to eat until I'm full (which the body physically prefers) and know what I eat fuels my energy and health equally. On some days, it's going to be a large volume of food and on others maybe not as much. When I feed my body a variety of food from the major food groups (starches, grains, fruits and veg), I trust that it will process and waste without long-term harm, internal damage or excessive weight gain, as it was programmed to do.

That's not what it was programmed to do. It's programmed to shove whatever it can into your emergency stores, [....]

Okay, but I'm missing what you're trying to refute.

Whole plant foods that are high in fiber and low in fat are not going to be stored in the body to the point of excess weight gain is caused; often, the inverse occurs -- weight loss occurs until stable weight is reached. This point is consistent when examining people who follow a plant/starch centered diet in rural China and various countries in Africa.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Options
    [...] I like to eat until I'm full (which the body physically prefers) and know what I eat fuels my energy and health equally. On some days, it's going to be a large volume of food and on others maybe not as much. When I feed my body a variety of food from the major food groups (starches, grains, fruits and veg), I trust that it will process and waste without long-term harm, internal damage or excessive weight gain, as it was programmed to do.

That's not what it was programmed to do. It's programmed to shove whatever it can into your emergency stores, [....]

Okay, but I'm missing what you're trying to refute.

Whole plant foods that are high in fiber and low in fat are not going to be stored in the body to the point of excess weight gain is caused; often, the inverse occurs -- weight loss occurs until stable weight is reached. This point is consistent when examining people who follow a plant/starch centered diet in rural China and various countries in Africa.

Nothing is stored in the body to the point of excess fat/weight gain when in a caloric deficit. There is no net storage in a deficit. If you were to eat an entirely plant-based diet to a caloric surplus, you would gain weight/fat just as you would with any other diet. Is it your contention that there is no such thing as an overweight/obese vegan?

And really? Rural China and North Africa? Can we say 'food scarcity'? Sure we can.
  • DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The fact that weight is based on calorie intake is science. No anecdotal evidence will disprove the laws of physics.

In this case, it is the simple rule that energy cannot be created nor destroyed. Every time you move, you must be burning calories equal to that movement. Otherwise it would mean your body would be summoning energy from nothing; thus, your body is breaking the laws of physics. It isn't.

This puts an end to all anecdotes about how calories in vs. calories out might be a myth. You might as well say gravity might be a myth.

So, any time anybody (I'm not targeting you, I'm just speaking generally because I see this a lot) claims that they are eating at a deficit but not losing weight, the simple answer is that they are not actually eating at a deficit like they think they are. They are eating more than they think and/or they are moving less than they think. There is no third option.