Calories in wine

Options
AmyWhitty
AmyWhitty Posts: 20 Member
edited March 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Hi

I have just moved over from ww to MFP. Can someone tell me how many calories in rose wine (White Zinfandel) and red. I am getting lots of different results when searching and would like some opinions on what to count as an average.

Thanks in advance

Amy

Replies

• jjiistu
    jjiistu Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Amy, I think it does vary, but I usually work on approx 600 calories per bottle, so 200 calories per large (250ml) glass. It is definitely my downfall come the weekend! x
  • petersonma
    petersonma Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've scanned several wine bottle labels. While there are some differences, it seems pretty close to estimate 100 cal for a 5 oz glass of wine. If you're okay with close estimates you could use that. If you need as close to exact as possible, you may want to scan the bottle.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    It generally differs with the type of wine and the amount of alcohol. The MFP database has most common national wineries listed but as a general rule you can expect most drier white and blush wines to be around 100 calories per 5 oz glass, sweeter whites (like reisling) to be around 120 calories, and red wines to be around 140 calories.

There are obvious exceptions. For example, lambrusco (a medium body dry red with lower alcohol by volume) is closer to 100 calories per 5 oz. Fortified wines like port, sherry, Madeira, etc are much higher in calories.

• AmyWhitty
    Options
    That's great everyone thanks for the replies x
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Search "alcoholic beverage wine," or just "alcoholic beverage," to bring up the MFP-entered items. These are based on the USDA National Nutrient Database, which has tested a number of samples and provides an average of nutrition information.

rmv4kyrl4r2t.jpg
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    Search "alcoholic beverage wine," or just "alcoholic beverage," to bring up the MFP-entered items. These are based on the USDA National Nutrient Database, which has tested a number of samples and provides an average of nutrition information.

rmv4kyrl4r2t.jpg

@CyberTone - Does the green check mark automatically (and always) equal a USDA entry? I'm trying to tighten up my logging but have been confined to the phone app at home, making it difficult to cross check.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

rmv4kyrl4r2t.jpg

@CyberTone - Does the green check mark automatically (and always) equal a USDA entry? I'm trying to tighten up my logging but have been confined to the phone app at home, making it difficult to cross check.

The check means "verified" and that only means that multiple users have told MFP that it is correct. But I have found incorrect verified entries. It's only as good as the MFP members who are doing the verification.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    AmyWhitty wrote: »
    Hi

I have just moved over from ww to MFP. Can someone tell me how many calories in rose wine (White Zinfandel) and red. I am getting lots of different results when searching and would like some opinions on what to count as an average.

Thanks in advance

Amy

WINE IS FREE duh ;)
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options

rmv4kyrl4r2t.jpg

The check means "verified" and that only means that multiple users have told MFP that it is correct. But I have found incorrect verified entries. It's only as good as the MFP members who are doing the verification.

Okay, that's what I thought, but the screencap was making me doubt my understanding. Thanks!
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options

rmv4kyrl4r2t.jpg

Okay, that's what I thought, but the screencap was making me doubt my understanding. Thanks!

Unfortunately, MFP retired the asterisk nomenclature that tagged entries that were user-created in favor of the verified system; the verified entries do seem to be a popularity contest, rather than someone actually verifying the correct information.

Entries without an asterisk used to mean that they were entered and maintained by MFP staff. Interestingly, the last time I made a Recipe using the Old Recipe Calculator, I noticed that the asterisk nomenclature is still displayed when searching for food items in that workflow. That gives me some hope that MFP may eventually ditch the current, inferior verified system and revert to the asterisk nomenclature, because that software coding is evidently still there.

If you notice, the food entries in the screen capture do not have any information in either the first line or second line indicating Generic, Brand, or Restaurant in the description. That is a clue, but not necessarily proof, that the database record was initially entered by MFP staff.

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I've been using the generic table red wine entry for over a year now when I drink red wine. It's been accurate for me.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

rmv4kyrl4r2t.jpg

Yes, those are the easiest, and most accurate wine entries to use.

Bonus tip: those USDA entries have calories by gram. Instead of subjecting my precious wine to the abuse of touching a measuring cup, I put my stem on the scale, hit tare, and pour. Voila! Wine logged by weight, lol. (I HATE measuring cups and spoons cluttering my sink).
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

rmv4kyrl4r2t.jpg

Yes, those are the easiest, and most accurate wine entries to use.

Bonus tip: those USDA entries have calories by gram. Instead of subjecting my precious wine to the abuse of touching a measuring cup, I put my stem on the scale, hit tare, and pour. Voila! Wine logged by weight, lol. (I HATE measuring cups and spoons cluttering my sink).

Ooooooh. *lightbulb* - Ive been using a decorated glass the majority of the time and have a point of reference to where 6 fl oz is within the design. LOL.
    I like this idea!! Never woulda-thunk.
    Thanks!
  • judowolf
    judowolf Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    AmyWhitty wrote: »
    Hi

Thanks in advance

Amy

WINE IS FREE duh ;)

Amen! B)
  • AmyWhitty
    Options
    Lol thanks everyone
  • JasmineEN_
    JasmineEN_ Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I actually find that MFP has a lot of wines on there already. All I do is scan the barcode on the bottle and it always comes up! :smile:
  • vdheidenet1
    vdheidenet1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Does MFP also track alcohol in grams?
    If not, please add this to the suggested features list :smile:

Regards,
    Marco