Help! How do you deal with munchies at nighttime?!

Options
I feel starved at night, how do you deal with the cravings and hunger after supper time?!

Replies

• valerieH2012
    valerieH2012 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you aren't thirsty? If you just need a snack to munch on try seeds or popcorn. That's what my mom and I did on weight watchers
  • TrishAndGirls
    TrishAndGirls Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water. why? lol I'm thinking about an apple. but sometimes I feel like even a few calories can throw me off but I have acid reflux and it hurts so much when I'm hungry. :-( anyhow, so thank you so much for your suggestion!
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Is your calorie deficit too aggressive?
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner super late. Tonight was 9pm. Still full. No snacks needed or wanted.
  • valerieH2012
    valerieH2012 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    An apple is good too but also look at your carbs and protein and all the other fun stuff in food. Are you getting enough nutrients? That may be a reason why your body is still demanding more food. Try eating peanut butter with your Apple. It will keep you fuller longer too
  • TrishAndGirls
    Options
    I'm new to all of this just going with the flow I guess lol I'm active and I think I eat good. we eat supper around 5-6pm
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating per day? It may be that it's simply not enough.

I save 200-300 calories for after-dinner snacking usually.
  • weightlosscookery
    weightlosscookery Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1.first drink a big glass of warm water.
    2 wait for atlwast 15 min before you touch any food items after that.
    3.if am still hungry I will snack on little protein foods like hummus or peanut butter.

Make sure you have completed your dinner properly before following the above ☺
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I basically eat 3 meals and a snack. On weekdays snack is between lunch and dinner since dinner is late. On weekends we have dinner early so snack is between dinner and bed. You may simply need to schedule a snack in.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    save your morning cals for the evening
  • TrishAndGirls
    Options
    I am on an intake of 1760, exercise daily(workout 5-6 times a week) I think I've been eating pretty good, and often there is extra calories at the end of the day, some including burned calories back. I'm just nervous about eating at night, after say 8-9pm. thank you all for your advice!
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Pretend the floor is lava and stay in bed.
  • liftsalltheweights
    liftsalltheweights Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I chew gum. Or I wait about 20 minutes to half an hour after the craving strikes and if I still feel like I need a little something I'll have something. Most of the time though the craving goes away.
  • racheltb16
    racheltb16 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was my first day but I dealt with the munchies by eating 2c. of home canned green beans, one at a time.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I am on an intake of 1760, exercise daily(workout 5-6 times a week) I think I've been eating pretty good, and often there is extra calories at the end of the day, some including burned calories back. I'm just nervous about eating at night, after say 8-9pm. thank you all for your advice!

Eating at night won't affect your weight loss. If you have reflux problems you might not want to eat too close to lying down for the night, but otherwise you can eat in bed if you want and still lose weight.
  • kristinhowell
    kristinhowell Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I eat healthy snacks. Fruit and nuts or nut butter usually. Timing of eating is not really as big of an issue as sometimes it's played out to be. Just don't get carried away - too many calories at any time of day obviously could hurt weight loss unless you have calories left to eat. I eat supper pretty early most days, so I eat quite a bit between then and bedtime.
  • vlogsbyariel
    vlogsbyariel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cynsonya wrote: »
    I eat dinner super late. Tonight was 9pm. Still full. No snacks needed or wanted.

You shouldn't eat dinner that late because your body doesn't digest as well at nighttime. Try to eat between 5 - 7pm so that your body has time to digest it's food before going to bed :smile:
  • wykkedtruth
    wykkedtruth Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If you are working out maybe you need to make sure you get to that calorie in goal. If you're properly hydrated and starving maybe you just need to listen to your body? Eating late at night has no bearing on ability to lose weight despite what so many people said. Mediterranean people don't eat dinner till late and there country isn't over run with obesity :) poor reference but I have always hated that don't eat after a certain time. How would I be able to have popcorn and a movie lol
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Cynsonya wrote: »

You shouldn't eat dinner that late because your body doesn't digest as well at nighttime. Try to eat between 5 - 7pm so that your body has time to digest it's food before going to bed :smile:

Why? What will happen if I have undigested food in me when I go to bed?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight eating dinner often at 8 pm and a night time snack. I usually stopped eating by 10-11 pm. Never had trouble digesting or losing weight doing that.
    Use all of your calories. Eat a portion of calories earned from exercise. It is fine to have an evening snack if you have the calories for it.
    I just prelog my food and save enough calories for a planned evening snack- usually 100-300 calories are left for snacks.