Very hungry the next day after a run...

Options
I get so hungry the day after a run. I am physically active all week doing various workouts, but every time after I run I can't get enough of food into me the next day. Does anyone else experience this?

Replies

• cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I am not running at the moment, but when I used to run I always had this same issue. I never really felt hungry on the day of the run, but the following day I felt like a bottomless pit. Ultimately, I stopped running after a knee injury and gained back all of the weight I had lost. Right now, I am focusing on strength training. I notice something similar, but not to the extent it was when I was running (I suppose due to the differences in calories burned?).

Maybe try banking a few extra calories to use for the day after a run?
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    The runger is real, lol. If you're eating enough calories to fuel your runs and you're still hungry, you might want to look into changing up your macro balance a bit to see if it helps. I don't know how much of it is in my head, but I feel like eating a larger proportion of carbohydrates the night before my long run and more fat afterwards (read: ice cream) seems to help me with this, but you'll probably have to try a few things because it's different for everyone.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Me, too! So I ate a little more.

Imagine a freight train going down hill. You need to put some brakes on to make it past the next curve without jumping the tracks. But don't try and stop it!
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Yes!! I don't experience the hunger (or LOL, runger) right after a run. It's always the next day for me too.
  • ChampCrucial
    ChampCrucial Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    This is the case after I play basketball for more than 2 hours. I had a trick for it. I put almonds, a protein shake, and 4 cups of water in a circle. I ate 1 almond, 1 drank 1 sip of the protein shake, and 1 sip of water. Usually kills the hunger. Other than that, I eat great foods and enjoy what I believe to be the afterburn effect
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    The runger gets me all the time, I figured I was just weird, glad to know others get it too.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    After long fast hikes I get this, esp with a lot of elevation change. I just can't eat enough that same day. The next day I usually add a fourth meal, either two breakfasts or two lunches depending what sounds good and I have on hand. By dinner I feel normal again.
  • stang02
    stang02 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I guess I never really noticed but I realized "runger" happened to me all day today. Glad you brought it to our attention. It makes sense. At least I can adjust for it and justify why it's happening now. (And not because I'm an out-of-control hungry person!)
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Yes, just experienced this. Did my first 10k in several years on the treadmill on Sunday (my next-longest recently has been about 7k), and yesterday I was a ravenous beast! I went up to maintenance cals for a day and today my appetite is back to normal. But I did enjoy the extra dive into the peanut butter jar :)
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner but I have experienced this with other types of working out, or a afternoon of heavy labor yard work. I've found the post workout meal most important to avoid the worst of it. High protein and some carbs for recovery after the workout, or at least the day of the workout (like a big dinner). Then sleeping on that. It gives my body a chance to recover and I'm not famished the next day.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I get it a day after hiking. We go several miles (6+) also with lots of elevation changes and now wrestling with a 90lb dog I'm training so we can take him on weekend overnight hikes.

I want all the meats mostly. And usually 2 portions of pasta with a lighter sauce on it then I'm good on carbs. Definitely lots of meat lol. I've earned the calories so I don't worry about it.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Thanks all it's nice to know that I am not alone!!! I went over my calories yesterday, but I did pick all good foods. Today I am not so hungry now...LOL!!
  • jeepinshawn
    Options
    Thanks all it's nice to know that I am not alone!!! I went over my calories yesterday, but I did pick all good foods. Today I am not so hungry now...LOL!!
    I had a good run yesterday, woke up this morning starving, immediately thought of this thread, and pancakes lol. Had an extra one with my eggs lol.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Often, yeah, and I could never eat all my calories on running days. I switched to the TDEE-500 method as a result, so my exercise calories would be averaged across the week.
  • Joanna2012B
    Options
    @jeepinshawn Mmmm pancakes...enjoy!!!

@lemurcat12 I am the same way. On run day I wasn't very hungry. What exactly is TDEE-500?
  • cblack8
    cblack8 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you started this thread. The same thing happens to me and it's wonderful to know I'm not alone!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    @jeepinshawn Mmmm pancakes...enjoy!!!

@lemurcat12 I am the same way. On run day I wasn't very hungry. What exactly is TDEE-500?

Calculate your TDEE (here's one calculator, although you adjust for results: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/) and then either subtract 20% or 500 and eat that daily. It essentially includes exercise calories averaged over the week upfront, so you get more calories to start with than the MFP method but don't eat back exercise calories. It works well if you aren't hungrier on big exercise days (but maybe the day after) and have pretty consistent weekly exercise (which I do).
  • smcrimmon84
    smcrimmon84 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Yep! This happens to me after a long run - for me, if I run more than 6 miles, I am STARVING the next morning. I eat a little extra but make those extra calories healthy calories!
  • Joanna2012B
    Options
    Thanks @lemurcat12 ! I too have very consistent weekly exercise schedule!

Funny thing today, I am not hungry at all...I haven't even had lunch yet and it's 2:30pm where I am.

@smcrimmon84 I tried to make my extra calories healthy yesterday. I think the worst part of my diary was my Lindt Intense Mint Dark Chocolate!!!
  • jeepinshawn
    Options
    Thanks @lemurcat12 ! I too have very consistent weekly exercise schedule!

Funny thing today, I am not hungry at all...I haven't even had lunch yet and it's 2:30pm where I am.

@smcrimmon84 I tried to make my extra calories healthy yesterday. I think the worst part of my diary was my Lindt Intense Mint Dark Chocolate!!!

@Joanna2012B nothing wrong with some dark chocolate!